Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 1  [ 1 post ] 
maxwell john
Post subject: My question chainPosted: October 27th, 2020, 9:32 pm
So since I have a lot of pretty rough ideas for an AU, I am setting this up so I dont end up with a single gigantic post of dozens of questions all at once, and hopefully some of you all can answer or debate a few ideas- the goal of this, hopefully, is to learn and develop a handful of ideas I have and hopefully, once I can, develop my ideas into drawings.
So my first idea (pretty much, the question being if such ideas are useful or make any sense at all):

Taking a relatively large, obsolete ship (I'm thinking destroyer or even a logistics support ship), stripping it of what little armour it has, as well as cutting down the size of the fuel tanks, stores, etc. to make it much shorter ranged, and removing all weapons and systems. Then, giving it a good quantity of advanced air search radar and command systems, and a large quantity of guns- 4.5 inch, 40 mm, and 20 mm, as well as a large magazine (s).

The role of such a ship would be coastal defence, short range, anti-air protection. Obviously with no missiles it would lack range, and with smaller stores is meant to operate relatively close to shore, protecting ships in port and merchant convoys, as well as being a command platform for any shore based units near her. She also doesn't need a helipad, assuming it was only for in shore work and defence.

I think the biggest issue is range, but for a nation with little money and an old hull lying around it could work, right?...

I'm interested in hearing your thoughts on this and whatever else I have. I understand it seems silly and a waste but.. maybe? Anyways thats it for now

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 1  [ 1 post ]  Return to “General Discussion”

Jump to: