Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 2 of 2  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2
heuhen
Post subject: Re: Request for an opinion(s) regarding the Mainsite ArchivePosted: February 21st, 2023, 12:10 am
eswube wrote: *
@Heuhen
Not sure what You mean in point 1)
subcategories, is basically means you have one "topic" cover it all, that when you open it up give you Choices into several other topics under that "topic"

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: Request for an opinion(s) regarding the Mainsite ArchivePosted: February 21st, 2023, 10:05 am
eswube wrote: *
@Hood
Actually, ALVAMA suggested to me that such catch-all term for all "ekranoplans, SES, hovercrafs and hydrofoils" could be "Surface Skimmers" - and he based this suggestion on certain fairly prominent publication... ;)

(though probably, the category would be rather dropped altogether anyway)
Yes that was the kind of term I had in mind and couldn't think of at the time!

My only concern is that if you wanted to find, for example, just hovercraft or just hydrofoils as references there would be no way to do so.
While heuhen's sub-type category makes some sense that means the expense of more coding probably, plus a new sub-type classification that would be required to be inputted onto all the existing archive works which is no small task. So this seems unfeasible as a quick-fix.

The numbers of hovercraft drawings are very small anyway so it's no biggie if they get merged in, I just want to make it clear that finding them again afterwards might be an issue in some search cases.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Request for an opinion(s) regarding the Mainsite ArchivePosted: February 21st, 2023, 9:17 pm
@Heuhen
Ah, got it now: You suggest deeper overhaul of the Archive? Of course, it's never bad to discuss options, but I'm afraid it would mean a major effort and even more major expense, so I don't think it would happen in foreseeable perspective.

@Hood
Yes, searchability of hovercraft (those that are marked as such right now, that is) will be lost. Not the first such occurence in current history of Shipbucket. FD Archive had quite rosy plans (and I dare to say so, these were good plans), but within the actual budget it was not possible to make certain planned functions work, so some time ago they were quietly removed (search by class and category/purpose), leaving only name, author, country and category (RL/NW).

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Request for an opinion(s) regarding the Mainsite ArchivePosted: March 1st, 2023, 10:17 pm
Seems there isn't anyone else willing to take part in the discussion?

So, unless there are any issues with it, during this weekend I will try to:

1) Split the Coastal Warfare folder into Coastal Defence Vessels and Fast Attack Craft (with submarine chasers being moved to Patrol Vessel folder)

2) Move the contents of Hovercraft folder to relevant folders by the purpose of particular craft.

As for the point 1) I will need help as the type thumbnails are based somewhere I have no idea about. :lol:

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Request for an opinion(s) regarding the Mainsite ArchivePosted: March 2nd, 2023, 9:51 pm
Although I planned to do it during the weekend, I had a spare while now and decided to try to do at least a bit already, and...

I have great pleasure to announce that reorganization has been made.
- Hovercraft were moved to relevant folders reflecting their purpose (I'll need to split one never-were drawing into two, but that can wait);
- Submarine chasers were moved to Patrol Vessels folder;
- Coastal Defence Ships, small ironclads, armored gunboats, monitors and the like are in the Coastal Defence Vessels folder (some patrol gunboats were moved to Patrol Vessels folder too);
- Fast Attack Craft are now in so named folder.

Took me less than 2 hours, so much, much less than I expected. :)

As always, if You notice any errors (like misplaced entries) or have remarks regarding classification of a particular type etc., or generally have any other constructive criticism, it would be, as always, appreciated.

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: Request for an opinion(s) regarding the Mainsite ArchivePosted: March 4th, 2023, 10:32 am
Glad it's been sorted OK.

Yep, a lack of interest it seems from the members but I guess it wasn't an emotive subject?

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: Request for an opinion(s) regarding the Mainsite ArchivePosted: March 4th, 2023, 1:10 pm
I do wonder, how are we going to sort Unmanned surface ships, since they are starting to come around. (There is already an "partial" unmanned cargo ship in Norway)

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Request for an opinion(s) regarding the Mainsite ArchivePosted: March 4th, 2023, 8:56 pm
@Hood
There is never much interest from majority of the members. I guess that, technically speaking, most of them don't even know we have the Mainsite (judging from amount of questions along the lines of "has anyone ever made a drawing of XYZ?" :lol: )

@Heuhen
There are several unmanned vessels in the Archive already. They are sorted according to purpose.
Adding extra line in the ship information screen would involve IT work, so it's not up for the discussion at this point.

(Already in this thread points have been raised about adding option to sort by hull types, wether it's a drone etc. etc. - I'm sure it would be cool to have extra info available - including for search purposes - but it would involve serious - and costly - revamp of the Mainsite, not mentioning the effort involved with entering that extra info, and I am NOT going to initiate such discussion ;) )

[Profile] [Quote]
adenandy
Post subject: Re: Request for an opinion(s) regarding the Mainsite ArchivePosted: September 13th, 2023, 7:52 am
Thank you eswube, for all your work sorting these issues out.

(To be fair, I agreed with Hoods first post regarding classifications, so saw little point in posting "I agree with Hood".)

But your solution is also good, as far as I am concerned.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 2 of 2  [ 19 posts ]  Return to “General Discussion” | Go to page « 1 2

Jump to: