Moderator: Community Manager
[Locked] [*]  Page 1 of 5  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 3 4 5 »
Gollevainen
Post subject: ***EVERYBODY READ AND SIGN THIS****Posted: June 27th, 2012, 11:38 am
This thing is not working

In the last uploading session, I had to discard half of all submitted drawings, not becouse there were anything wrong in them drawing vice, but since you guys repeatedly fail at naming the files correctly.

Now, you all know how the mainsite works. Links...just links to the filenames of the ships.
so imagine yourself how it is to navigate trough something like:
UNAMED
HMS20%something20%in20%year20%something
Myssore
Irishprojectg9
giejeojeioi

and ect...
Makes lot of sense, eh? Thats, even from the days of the actual "buckect", the photobucket account, we learned the art of naming files. It since evolped, but the idea remains simple.

Abrrevation of the ship type, ship name, additional stuff like year in way like:
DDKempfelt1943
or DD Kempfelt in 1943, if you know how your uploading sites handle spacebar in the filenamings.
nothing more, and nothing less.
With warships, use the NATO/Janes/Soviet naming destignation, as you please, but allways have some abbrevation at the start of the file.
With civilian ships use SS for steam ships, and MS for motor ships, and if you don't know the difference, don't drawn them. Or ask help, there are plenty of those here who just love to shine in helping people in obvious things.
Or name them Y for yacth for all I care. But dont just give me file that Says "Bore"

HMS something migth sound regal and Nice, and if you insist using such, use it DD HMS Kempfelt....but having all folder full of HMS somethings is not going to ease anything, since the logic of the site works on the abrrevations for ships type. thats the key.

Also, the old bucket account needed Nation spesific TAGs for proper alphapethical order, and this seems to stick as habbit for some older geezers, but try to understand that in the new site its not needed any more and just adds on to the mess.

Now, since this has pissed me off so much and since its quite a hard to keep up the mainsite when I need to correct and fix myself these things that should be on your responsibility, Ive locked all the threads except this one. I urge anyone sign in here that they've read what I've said here and understood it as well.

Also, use this thread for ranting over these actions, don't fill my PM folder for it.
I will open the threads after the bulk of the community have read and signed this thread.
For the uploading, I will inform later

Last edited by TimothyC on June 27th, 2012, 12:47 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Grammar in the title drove me silly.

[Profile]
Rodondo
Post subject: Re: ***EVERYBODY READS AND SINGS THIS****Posted: June 27th, 2012, 11:49 am
I solemnly swear to abide by these rules and never again use my 1AM filing system

Rodondo

"Loitering on the High Seas" (Named after the good ship Rodondo)

There's no such thing as "nothing left to draw" If you can down 10 pints and draw, you're doing alright by my standards

[Profile]
KHT
Post subject: Re: ***EVERYBODY READS AND SINGS THIS****Posted: June 27th, 2012, 11:54 am
I'm with Rodondo, when ever I get to getting a drawing up on the main site, I will follow these very logical rules.

KHT

(Also, sorry for me posting a thread about what was going on. I forgot the News Forum)

[Profile]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: ***EVERYBODY READS AND SINGS THIS****Posted: June 27th, 2012, 11:57 am
the '20%' should translate to regular spaces when you put those on the main site. if not, I have no idea why. On the other points I can understand what you are saying, especially looking at some of the filenames of the drawings you rejected.

not to be to critical or anything, but the best way to stop this would be to let us upload the folders, like I and some others did before, after which your checkup would take a lot less time. you know that I for one, would gladly help out with stuff like that, when time allows me.

[Profile]
Gollevainen
Post subject: Re: ***EVERYBODY READS AND SINGS THIS****Posted: June 27th, 2012, 12:01 pm
Quote:
the '20%' should translate to regular spaces when you put those on the main site.
yes becouse in the past ive used to manually rename them ;)
The folders would be great idea, but in Past it has lead to other proplems... there are really few who has always been able produce me correct and error-free folders for uploading, so it comes to the matter of trust. Last uploading sessions have been plagued becouse of these custom folders have been quite sloppily done bringing lot of wrong named and even wrong placed files to the mainsite, while I have been in believe that i wouldnt have to douple check them. If I would need to go trough the folders file by file to see if they are correct, the whole point and utility of them comes moot.

[Profile]
Rowdy36
Post subject: Re: ***EVERYBODY READS AND SINGS THIS****Posted: June 27th, 2012, 12:08 pm
Roger Wilco.
Apologies if I've made your job harder with bad file names... :(

[Profile]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: ***EVERYBODY READS AND SINGS THIS****Posted: June 27th, 2012, 12:08 pm
for the 20% I have this suggestion: when I save those files they seem not to be changed to 20%, they seem to keep the spaces. this might be because I use firefox or vista or whatever the reason is, but if you can't reproduce this I hereby volunteer for saving these files for you and sending an folder with them in it (if I have time for it at that time, and it is needed, even sorted on section and nations) but not checked or renamed, if that would help you out. I can only suggest you to spread the work a bit, as we are very dependent on you on this matter right now, which isn't really fair :P

[Profile]
Gollevainen
Post subject: Re: ***EVERYBODY READS AND SINGS THIS****Posted: June 27th, 2012, 12:10 pm
well at this point since something clearly needs to be done, it doesen't mind if you guys do send me the corrected filenames in a folders. Do it properly, and perhpas i migth start to trust you guys so to allow it in the next session as well ;)

[Profile]
emperor_andreas
Post subject: Re: ***EVERYBODY READS AND SINGS THIS****Posted: June 27th, 2012, 12:17 pm
If I've contributed to this problem in any way, I sincerely apologize. If I get the naming info wrong in the future, please feel free to figuratively (not literally; I get that enough as it is :lol: ) bash me over the head until it appears to have sunk in.

Best,

-Matt

The Official IJN Ships & Planes List

#FJB

[Profile]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: ***EVERYBODY READS AND SINGS THIS****Posted: June 27th, 2012, 12:32 pm
As I just said over IM, the '%20' issue is a factor of IE, and none of my other test browsers (Firefox, Chrome, & Opera) have that problem. As I mentioned before, I am more that willing to check other people's folder submissions going forward for you to take some of the load off your back.

[Profile]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Locked]  Page 1 of 5  [ 50 posts ]  Return to “General Discussion” | Go to page 1 2 3 4 5 »

Jump to: