Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 2 of 5  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5 »
gordo8000
Post subject: Re: Questions about Elco 80ft PT BoatsPosted: July 6th, 2012, 9:51 pm
What about a 57mm AZP S-60. Its hard hitting and parts/ammo are available just about anywhere.

[Profile] [Quote]
travestytrav25
Post subject: Re: Questions about Elco 80ft PT BoatsPosted: July 6th, 2012, 10:10 pm
Yeah, the Bofors 40mm is still pretty widely used by many navies. And as Gordo said, the 57mm S-60 is an option and it's probably widely available. The only thing about it, is I don't know how much heavier it is than the Bofors and what the extra weight would do to your stability. Or you could go with something like any of the Bushmaster series, Oerlikon, or OTO-Melera small-caliber auto cannons if you want something more modern. Of course, Typhoon mounts are good, and you can mount a variety of weapon systems on them.

As far as missiles, yes, something like the Stinger or Mistral would work. Both have successfully been mounted on small boats. I think the largest SSM missile you could probably expect to mount on a PT boat would be something like a larger ATGM, such as a Hellfire or SPIKE-ER, or something in that size range. Anything else would probably just be too heavy. The Swedish Navy tested a surface launched version of the Hellfire on their CB90 fast assault boats a while back, but I don't know if they actually adopted it into service. Anything bigger than that would be difficult and probably dangerous to mount and launch from such a small boat.

[Profile] [Quote]
gordo8000
Post subject: Re: Questions about Elco 80ft PT BoatsPosted: July 6th, 2012, 10:19 pm
The problem is that all these have to be external only because there being mounted on a vintage WWII PT Boat. I'm not sure which version was mounted on the Elco PT Boats, but I'm gonna assume it was the lighter L60 model. Does any remote control external mount exist for the 40mm Bofors?

[Profile] [Quote]
Trojan
Post subject: Re: Questions about Elco 80ft PT BoatsPosted: July 6th, 2012, 10:27 pm
Just curious but why have Pt boats still in service today? And I'm sure there are much better replacements out there
Type out there if anything u can probably just make up a version combining emlarged or normal typhoon systems to it

References and feedback is always welcome!

Last edited by Trojan on July 6th, 2012, 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
gordo8000
Post subject: Re: Questions about Elco 80ft PT BoatsPosted: July 6th, 2012, 10:30 pm
I just happen to like Elco PT Boats in particular.

[Profile] [Quote]
Trojan
Post subject: Re: Questions about Elco 80ft PT BoatsPosted: July 6th, 2012, 10:42 pm
fair enough

References and feedback is always welcome!

[Profile] [Quote]
SrGopher
Post subject: Re: Questions about Elco 80ft PT BoatsPosted: July 6th, 2012, 11:02 pm
Since the Stinger is a MANPAD system, then it should be fine on this. 40mm grenade launchers would work also (albeit in limited numbers). As for that 25mm Typhoon, it depends on the weight of the gun/mount.

[Profile] [Quote]
Rhade
Post subject: Re: Questions about Elco 80ft PT BoatsPosted: July 7th, 2012, 7:43 am
Hmmm ... like Trojan said there is not much sense in using this design in modern times. But if you rly want, you can make hull from some plastic. Ad one typhoon on bow ( 20,25,30 mm in option for this system ) maybe two 40 mm launchers in middle and 4 or 6 MANPAD's in storage for use. Optional you can always mount additional MG's. It would be cheap short range patrol boat.

[Profile] [Quote]
travestytrav25
Post subject: Re: Questions about Elco 80ft PT BoatsPosted: July 7th, 2012, 12:55 pm
Most of the remote mounts I've seen are only rated for up to a 30mm cannon like the Typhoon and the OTO-Melera MARLIN-WS. Your best bet is probably a Typhoon, which weighs in at less than a ton. They also make versions that mount light SAMs and light SSMs such as a Stingers and SPIKE-ERs in addition to the cannon. Rafael also makes a Remote mount that holds 4 SPIKE-NLOS missiles that would give you a pretty big punch against light enemy boats and a range of 25km.

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: Questions about Elco 80ft PT BoatsPosted: July 7th, 2012, 2:01 pm
You could probably mount a couple of Penguins on an Elco like boat, but mounting them on an actual 80ft Elco would be a waste of money.
By the time you could get missiles on them (About 1979 or so) they would be at least 25 years old, which is at least 15 years more than they were designed for, if not more. Their highly stressed wooden hulls required continuous upkeep by specially trained workers and a steady supply of surprisingly expensive building materials. (Layered mahogany of the required strength is surprisingly hard to manufacture)
On top of that the boats were cramped even by 1940ies standards.
But the real killer is their power plant. These boats were powered by three Packard gasoline engines (Which have a tremendous sound btw) To give you an idea how dangerous gasoline is on a naval craft you should check out the loss statistics for the PT boats. Of the 99 boats that were lost during the war, somewhere between a fifth and a fourth went down due to gasoline explosions, and that doesn't include the ones caused by enemy action.
And lastly, while they have plenty of power for going forward, they are severely underpowered when it comes to electrical generating capability. As a result you're unlikely to be able to mount the computers and radars required to turn her into an effective combatant.

For a comparison, take a look at the much more sturdy built and diesel powered E-boats of the Kriegsmarine. Even the most stubborn ones were long gone by 1965 and their value had been questionable for at least a couple of years by then.

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 2 of 5  [ 41 posts ]  Return to “General Discussion” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5 »

Jump to: