Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 3 of 5  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5 »
Rhade
Post subject: Re: Questions about Elco 80ft PT BoatsPosted: July 7th, 2012, 2:17 pm
And if i remember correctly those engines where relics from WWI.

[Profile] [Quote]
travestytrav25
Post subject: Re: Questions about Elco 80ft PT BoatsPosted: July 7th, 2012, 2:20 pm
Yeah, I didn't even consider electrical capacity. They didn't have separate generators did they? Did they just use the alternator power from the engines?

If that's the case you're unlikely to be able to mount much of any type of modern weaponry on them since they're all electrical these days.

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: Questions about Elco 80ft PT BoatsPosted: July 7th, 2012, 3:24 pm
Putting anti-ship missiles on Elco PT boats is a very... "17-year-old" thing to do.

Trust me, I know.

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
gordo8000
Post subject: Re: Questions about Elco 80ft PT BoatsPosted: July 7th, 2012, 4:47 pm
So apparently someones already been there and done that.

[Profile] [Quote]
Portsmouth Bill
Post subject: Re: Questions about Elco 80ft PT BoatsPosted: July 7th, 2012, 5:38 pm
Yes, in his 'salad days' ;) So there is nothing new under the sun.

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Questions about Elco 80ft PT BoatsPosted: July 7th, 2012, 9:13 pm
Gordo - As many others already said, the whole idea of putting missiles on WW2 vintage PT's isn't really a sound concept (to say politely). That said, if You really insist, there is something that wouldn't be totally insane, namely French Nord SS.11 and SS.12 missiles, that entered service in 1960 and could (indeed - were) launched from various small vessels of many navies. So at least theoretically some navy could still have PT's and already have SS's, somewhere in the early 1960s.
Although I think that in real life putting them on a PT would still be a waste of resources and it would be more practical to use some 1950s small attack craft. ;)
As far as the Bofors and S-60 are concerned - land variant of Bofors L60 (WW2 era) weighed about 2 tonnes, S-60 about 4,5 tonnes.

[Profile] [Quote]
klagldsf
Post subject: Re: Questions about Elco 80ft PT BoatsPosted: July 8th, 2012, 3:26 am
I'm surprised it took Thiel to bring it up - but yes, most Elco boats were reading for scrapping in 1945. They were not designed to last long, and there's a reason why their spiritual successors were for the most part built from aluminum (and even then you have cracking issues).

Why do an Elco boat? There are so many much more modern, much larger, equally cheap aluminum hulls out there from both East and West. I can link you to a few on the database that I think are appropriate.

And for those hulls you have options - though unless it were pretty decent-sized something like Harpoon is going to be ridiculous. Penguins and either a remote weapons station or L70 Bofors (the postwar version).
Rhade wrote:
And if i remember correctly those engines where relics from WWI.
No! Most of the "Liberty" engines, IIRC, were re-purposed or scrapped by, say, 1924. Most of the PT Boats had brand-new Packard Merlin engines, and usually two if not three of them. These are 1,200 cubic inch displacement engines and from most of the sources I read, they had plenty of power (at least for raw speed).

[Profile] [Quote]
gordo8000
Post subject: Re: Questions about Elco 80ft PT BoatsPosted: July 8th, 2012, 5:17 am
eswube wrote:
Although I think that in real life putting them on a PT would still be a waste of resources and it would be more practical to use some 1950s small attack craft.
Any suggestions? Fast Attack Craft aren't exactly my fort'e.

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Questions about Elco 80ft PT BoatsPosted: July 8th, 2012, 7:47 am
There were quite many of them in the 1950s/1960s - like Norwegian: Tjeld class, German: 140 Jaguar/141 Seeadler and 142 Zobel, British: Gay, Bold, Brave, Dark classes etc. etc. Lots of them, and when You count fast patrol boats there are even more of them.

[Profile] [Quote]
travestytrav25
Post subject: Re: Questions about Elco 80ft PT BoatsPosted: July 8th, 2012, 8:57 am
Found an interesting article about the US Navy's Special Boat Squadron 2, that was apparently used to test the Penguin missiles in the late '70s or early '80s. They mounted them on a 65' Mk III patrol boat. Apparently it was only used as a test platform and was never adopted into service. So you can put Penguins on a small platform, but the Mk IIIs were also aluminum, not plywood. Anyway, here's the link, and it has a pic of the Mk III with Penguins.

http://www.warboats.org/foster2.htm

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 3 of 5  [ 41 posts ]  Return to “General Discussion” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5 »

Jump to: