Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 5 of 6  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5 6 »
Hood
Post subject: Re: Generic ship guide.Posted: September 4th, 2017, 8:00 am
Looks good to me but I'm no expert on sailing ships, I defer to others with far greater knowledge of sail on any critical opinion. But to my eyes it looks a helpful starter.

Would it be worth labeling the masts and sails? Might add too much clutter but that would be even more handy.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Generic ship guide.Posted: September 4th, 2017, 9:22 pm
Thanks Hood!
Of course eventually I want to make a whole series chronologically and with text descriptions (like the original entry on page 1).
My concern with this particular one was mostly if the way the sails are shown is a) correct in itself; b) reasonably presented.
I was thinking about labeling the masts and sails, but thought that it would make the whole drawing "too crowded". IMHO it would be better if it were done separately and for various arrangements (various number of masts, various historical types of sail and mast arrangement etc.), but it should be rather done by someone more knowledgeable about them than me. (CraigH perhaps?)

[Profile] [Quote]
Jonatan15
Post subject: Re: Generic ship guide.Posted: October 21st, 2017, 12:22 pm
1864 examples: All paraguayan war Brazilian Central-Battery Ironclad follow the Brasil "Style"(Iron hull and a big square superstructure with casemates)
[ img ]
Reposting here, sorry about that m8 :?

- Rework my First Design
- Await the Winged Hussars Arrive

[Profile] [Quote]
Miklania
Post subject: Re: Generic ship guide.Posted: July 16th, 2019, 10:55 pm
I'll try to flesh this out with more terms and some visuals to help with sailing ships.

Square sails (primary sails run on yardarms parallel to the deck, used for propulsion)

Foremast (top to bottom):
Fore Topgallant
Fore Topsail
Foresail/Course

Mainmast:
Main Topgallant
Main Topsail
Mainsail

Mizzenmast:
Mizzen Topgallant
Mizzen Topsail

Mizzen sails (trapezoidal sails mounted on booms on lower mizzen or main mast, used for steering and propulsion)

Mizzensail/Spanker

Jibs (triangular sails rigged between bowsprite and foremast, used for propulsion, stability, and maneuvering)

(fore to aft):
Flying jib
Jib

Staysails (triangular or trapezoidal sails rigged between masts, used for propulsion and maneuvering, particularly tacking)

Bowsprite and Foremast (fore to aft):
Fore Topmast Staysail (basically a third jib)
Fore Mast Staysail (basically a fourth jib)

Foremast and Mainmast (top to bottom):
Main Topgallant Staysail
Middle Staysail
Main Topmast Staysail
Mainstaysail

Mainmast and Mizzenmast:
Mizzen Topgallant Staysail
Mizzen Topmast Staysail
Mizzenstaysail

Other sails

Studding sails/Stunsails (extra sails carried on extensions of the yardarms, used for extra propulsion when needed):

Named by adding "studding" to the sail it's next to, e.g. "Fore Top Studdingsail"

Spiritsail:

Square sail carried below bowsprite.

Watersail:

Extra sail carried next to mizzenmast that extends below the boom.

Sail levels above Topgallants:

Royals (directly above Topgallants, sometimes used as extras on Fore and Mainmasts on 18th/early 19th century sailing ships, standard on all masts by late 19th century):
Fore Royalsail, etc.

Skysails (directly above Royals)
Fore Skysail, etc.

Moonraker (extra sail carried above Skysail, not common)

Other Terms

"Flying":

Sail is attached to the mast, yard, bowsprite, et cetera by a line, not directly.

"Fisherman's":

A four-cornered staysail, particularly on a schooner.

"Reef":

Reef points are the strings that appear on sails. To "take a reef" or "shorten sail" is to use these to roll up and tie off a portion of the sail's length, in order to reduce the amount of wind it catches. Used to make fine adjustments to the amount of canvas carried.

[Profile] [Quote]
Novice
Post subject: Re: Generic ship guide.Posted: July 18th, 2019, 10:12 pm
A long time ago I had promised to post some generic merchant ships, and so I'm delivering
[ img ]
This is an early 20th Century cargo steamer, thousands of which plied their lawful trade in the world's oceans. Most had the Red Ensign (British Merchant Marine), and were around 300 feet in length. Usually had two cargo holds forward, two aft, and one between the bridge and engine/boiler room. This space was often as not was also used as coal bunker.

More will come in due course
:)

"Never fear to try on something new. Remember that the Titanic was built by professionals, and the Ark by an amateur"

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Generic ship guide.Posted: July 19th, 2019, 8:23 pm
Great work Novice. I'll be looking forward to see further additions.
(just on a note - I'm not sure if there's a point in mentioning elements like 'emergency steering gear' or 'anchor chandling gear')
(but this addition also means that now I really should complete the 'main course' of warships ;P )

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: Generic ship guide.Posted: July 19th, 2019, 8:38 pm
Sadly Photobucket has put their insane watermark over the drawings in the first page :(

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Generic ship guide.Posted: July 19th, 2019, 9:12 pm
Maybe these pages deserve a place as an article on the shipbucket wiki too......

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Generic ship guide.Posted: July 19th, 2019, 9:25 pm
@Colosseum
Don't worry, I have reserve copies. ;)

@Acelanceloet
Sure, but I'd say that it would perhaps be better if we have contents for 'proper' article ready first (rather than just what on 'normal' Wiki is called a 'stub').

[Profile] [Quote]
Armoured man
Post subject: Re: Generic ship guide.Posted: July 22nd, 2019, 7:24 am
I decided to throw my hat in the ring with this hole generic ship concept, hopefully it will be useful to people.

1908 - 1919, Examples, Town class (Great Britain) Active-class (Great Britain) Karlsruhe class (Germany)
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 5 of 6  [ 52 posts ]  Return to “General Discussion” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5 6 »

Jump to: