Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 2  [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 »
ONI-Defense
Post subject: Late 1800's / Early 1900's Cylindrical ShipPosted: August 19th, 2014, 8:38 pm
After a 2 year absence I've decided to return to drawing ships here on SB. One such ship that's been on my mind lately is an obscure design I saw in a book many years ago but have been able to find. From what I recall, the ship was an odd and failed attempt to reduce seasickness for passengers by having a cylindrical structure containing the passenger cabins and amenities that would counter rotate along the roll axis.

I haven't been able to locate any references or images online and hope someone else may have better luck tracking down the odd vessel.

I've included a quick cross section drawing of the ship.
[ img ]

I did manage to find several drawings of B.T. Babbitt's rotary engine vessel which is another ship I plan on drawing.

Last edited by ONI-Defense on August 20th, 2014, 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Late 1800's / Early 1900's Cylindrical ShipPosted: August 19th, 2014, 9:06 pm
I remember reading about that ship in one old Polish book by Jan Piwowoński, titled: Niezwykłe Okręty ("Unusual/Amazing Ships"), but I don't think there were any useful reference drawings there, besides a similar cross-section like one You've made. I don't have that book here, but I'll try in next days to check if there's some way to get some scans of relevant pages.

[Profile] [Quote]
ONI-Defense
Post subject: Re: Late 1800's / Early 1900's Cylindrical ShipPosted: August 19th, 2014, 9:35 pm
Scans would help me a lot even if the only image(s) are cross sections, especially if the book also contains the name of the ship or its designer. :)

[Profile] [Quote]
Bombhead
Post subject: Re: Late 1800's / Early 1900's Cylindrical ShipPosted: August 19th, 2014, 9:54 pm
This sounds like an interesting idea. It would be good to see a standard SB profile too, even if you had to resort to making it up as you went along. :geek:

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Late 1800's / Early 1900's Cylindrical ShipPosted: August 19th, 2014, 10:01 pm
IIRC, this was build but was horrible for the passengers. the passenger compartment was then repurposed and the ship rebuild.
mind you, that is what I remember reading 10 years ago. I know exactly in which book, but it was a library book so I don't have acces to it right now.

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: Late 1800's / Early 1900's Cylindrical ShipPosted: August 19th, 2014, 10:14 pm
There is an yacht, can't remember it's name, but it had a gyro stabilized master cabin. Not totally like the drawing above but more a system mounted on multiple cylinder's.

[Profile] [Quote]
ONI-Defense
Post subject: Re: Late 1800's / Early 1900's Cylindrical ShipPosted: August 19th, 2014, 11:18 pm
If I can't obtain a side profile I'll still attempt it based on guess work.

[Profile] [Quote]
Rodondo
Post subject: Re: Late 1800's / Early 1900's Cylindrical ShipPosted: August 20th, 2014, 2:05 am
I have seen such a design, probably a few variants, as I'm moving It's boxed up but I will have a look when I can

"Loitering on the High Seas" (Named after the good ship Rodondo)

There's no such thing as "nothing left to draw" If you can down 10 pints and draw, you're doing alright by my standards

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Late 1800's / Early 1900's Cylindrical ShipPosted: August 20th, 2014, 7:36 pm
Ship's name was SS Bessemer.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_Bessemer

And here are promised scans. I hope they will be of some use.

[ img ]

[ img ]

Source: Jan Piwowoński, Niezwykłe Okręty, Warszawa 1977, pp. 162-164.

[Profile] [Quote]
ONI-Defense
Post subject: Re: Late 1800's / Early 1900's Cylindrical ShipPosted: August 20th, 2014, 8:18 pm
Thanks eswube, I really appreciate it. Knowing the ship's name will hopefully allow me to find more images and information to use along with the scans. :D

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 2  [ 15 posts ]  Return to “General Discussion” | Go to page 1 2 »

Jump to: