Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 9  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 3 4 59 »
Gollevainen
Post subject: Shipbucket Style Rules and Standard - Draft 2015Posted: February 3rd, 2015, 2:48 pm
SHIPBUCKET STYLE

1. Scale
All shipbucket drawings are set at 2 pixels to 1 foot scale. This means that 1 pixel compares to approximately 0.15 meters. When you start drawing, scale your reference images to this scale at once. Be precise. When using reference images, make sure you know the difference between overal length, length between perpendiculars and waterline length. Be precise when you measure the length, but always remember not go griding millimeters.

Missiles and gun barrels can be a bit out of scale in order to emphasize their smaller characteristics, but they should always be roughly in the same scale.
A rough scale for the barrel thickness is 1 pixel = everything under 3 inch (75mm) caliber, 2 pixels = 3-4 inch (75mm-105mm) NOTE: this is the only occasion when you can draw two overlapsing black pixel lines together, 3 pixels 4.5-6 inch (115-152mm) ... and so on. When you get pass to heavy artillery, the scale should allow you to use actuall thickness.
When drawing Missiles, the rule of the thumb is to make the missile reconnisable.

2. Lines

Shipbucket drawings are made of different lines which make the silhouette of a ship. All lines should be one (1) pixel thick regardless of color. Remember the One Pixel Corners rule:
[ img ]

Overally the One pixel rule applies everywhere. As mentioned in the gun barrel is only exception of this rule. Another exception are small instances when you are drawing really small vessels and your equipment overlapses such major lines as hull edges.

Usually everything should be outlined in Black color. This includes the hull lines, superstructures, objects, equipment outlines and so on. Only when you are drawing something that is smaller than 1/2 foot or 15cm, you need to reconsider using grey color of different shades. Narrow objects like railing, rigging, lines, antennas and so on can be drawn in grey color. Also, its custom to outline such non-standard surfaces like canvas and curtains with darker variation of their base color, rather than with black. This type of surfaces are usually temporary and non-solid and don't take some accurate shape or form when deployed.

3. Details - "The three pixel rule and the art of overexaggeration"

To futher enligthen the issue of using lines, the term "three pixel rule" comes often mentioned. It basicly means that you should try to draw everything that has subtantial size over 15 cm with three pixels. Now in cases of small objects this usually means gross over-exaggeration of their actual size. Usual applications of this rule are overhang platforms and their supporting structures such as bridge wings, mast's, fixed stairways and so on, despite the surface's actuall size in the side view. This allows such features and structures to stand out from the outlines (specially in cases where they are on same level as the next deck or platform top which would allready be covered with one black pixel outline). Usually we consider that if a person can walk upon something, it needs to be drawn in three pixels (that is naturally a grey line between two black ones.)

This same principle applies to the details. Ships has lots of equipment that would be outside the 45cm x45cm sq (or 1.5 feet x 1.5 feet) that the minium "three pixel" square allows us to interpt. A rule of a thump for detailing should always be following scenario: Imagine the ship in real life and you are looking it from distance that makes it appear as small as a Shipbucket scale drawing on your computer screen. Now what details can you see? The details you should draw should always equal the ones you can hypotetically see in such scenario.

Now this means that you should not draw riverting, bolt joints ect. despite you could tell them from a hazy pixel mess out of drawing you've scaled from sq meter size blueprints. Draw only the clearly distinquishable objects, and with them, and specially with the smaller objects, try to present orginal shape the betrays the purpose of the object rather than the actuall size of it in the SB scale. This again takes us back to the overexaggeration. Shipbucket is art of overexaggeration becouse of our scale and use of pixels. Do not try to comply with detailed construction drawings to the maxium commonality with your drawing, since its simply not possible. Shipbucket drawings are computerised pixelart, not technical manuals. In NO circumstances use SB drawings as manuals to build actuall vessels!

4. Colors

Shipbucket drawing should usually contain a pallet of five different shade for each colored surface: the Basic color, wich you fill the upper superstructures, the darker shade of this you use to color the actuall hull of the ship and shaddow and shade the basic color, a ligther shade of the basic color for shading and then a darker shade of the hull color you use to shadow and shade the hull, and to which you use to color railings and other objects described in the part 2 that are allowed to be drawn in "grey" color. A Shade darker than this last color is to preserved for extreme details where such migth be needed.

As for underwater hull, same sort of logic applies, though you can survive with just three shades in most cases.

Always use only one pallette of these shades for corresponding color you are descriping. For examble, warships are often painted in uniformal grey color. To present them in Shipbucket style, you need one pallette. Civilian ships, old victorian era warship liveries and camoflaged ships naturally have multible colors so you need to make a palette for each color you need to use.

You should always use the colors that correspond best to the actuall colors of the vessel you are portraying, for both under and overwater parts. Always remember that Shipbucket style is not to make detailed aquarells of various level of worn and torn of some paint surface. In shipbucket, there is just one perfectly painted surfaces, and all the variations in shade are there to indicate its structural differences. Show respect to the ship and never draw dirt, rust or soilment upon it.

Only "standard" colors that applies are the black for outlines, white for the actuall sheet you present your drawing. The arbitary shade of ligth blue that is used on windows is highly recomendated as well.

5. Shading and Shaddowing

Here is a basic tutorial of how you use the color shades described above:

[ img ]

Basicly the idea is to use either the dark or the ligther shade to cover wheter some surface is facing outward or inward from the centerline. In this examble, those facing inward towards centerline are colored with lighter shade and the ones covering outward from the centerline are colored darker shade. The actuall angle of the said surfaces is not relevant for the use of colors. Also, in this drawing, there is a darker shade of single line presentating the angle itself to seperate the shading from round objects, which are shaded in similar fashion, but without the darker line. In this examble, a perfectly round object is shaded with single lighter band in roughly center of the foremost 1/3 of the object.

Take notice that this is just example of how to shade structures in SB, and does not bind you to do it in exactly same way, but just as a showcase of the principles you need to consider while shading.

NEVER EVER use gradient shading, that is either the actuall color grading tools from advanced drawing programs or by using multible blocks of shades to portray round objects. Only expections you can use the later method is when you are actually portraying multiangular objects (pentagons, hexagons ect.) from the side, and if you are portraying gradiently applied camoflage or paint pattern.

This method applies for both upper works and underwater hulls. Underwater hulls are usually round surfaces which shape alters in ways that its impossible to portray in 2D color drawings. Therefore if you decide to shade the underwater hull, you need to know the exact form of the object you are shading. When you shade underwater hull parts in some method, it needs to be consistent with the shading of your upperhull as well.

Shadowing applies to structures underneath overhangs. You can use a darker shade in 1-3 pixel width blocks underneath to present the shade. In special cases where the vertical surface under the overhang is closer to the centerline than in the adjoinging non-overhang covered vertical surfaces, you are allowed to color the entire block with the darker color scheme. Same rule about gradient applies to the shaddowing as well.

5. Background and Templates

The background of all shipbucket drawings is blank white (#FFFFFF or RGB 255,255,255). Be mindful that you leave no light-gray pixel "haze" when transferring from reference images, etc. If your drawing is unserviceable because of pixel errors, we will not upload it.

All shipbucket drawings are posted to the site in "templates". These templates give the name of the ship as well as its author. Please use the dedicated templates for this. All current templates have clear instructions on how to place your ship into the right one, so make sure to follow these directions before you post your images.

6. Crediting, usage of Partsheets and Permissions

All shipbucket images have the artist(s)' name shown in parentheses below the ship's class name. Always place your name on the drawings you post. You can use your real name, or an alias if you so choose... just make sure that the name you're using is not already being used by someone else. As expected, your alias must not be vulgar, racist, or otherwise rude or else we will not upload your drawings.

If you use someone else's drawing as a base for your own, add your name behind the original artist's name. Never remove the original artist's name. If we catch you doing this, your drawings will be deleted and you will be banned permanently from the shipbucket forum.

If you use a considerable amount of "blocks" or sections of someone else's drawings which are not in the "Things that help drawing" chart database, place their name ahead of yours in the credits.

Using of parts submitted to the partsheets or generally accepted as such does not require crediting the orginal artists of the said parts. Such parts generaly includes
1. objects that are drawn in the "overexaggerating" methods for clarity, and thus more genric presentations of such things in SB scale.
2. objects that presents some actual objects that are in generall use as massproduced parts and can be found in multible ships.
3. generally all objects that are removable from the ship.
4. Weapons, radars, eletrical equipment, boats, cranes and so on.

Things that ARE NOT parts are the ones that are unique for the exact ship and are not designed to be placed onboard othervessels, such as masts, superstructures and hull extensions. If you are kitbashing these parts or sections from other SB drawings, you should credit the orginal artist.

Failing to accomply with the crediting rules are major offensive and warrants for said member to be banned from Shipbucket's offical forum.

The partsheets are maintained according to the activity of shipbucket community members. They are not selection of allowed things that only can be used, but altruistic attempts of the Shipbucket community to help and ease the burden of other artists by providing them methods of achieving uniformality with other Shipbucket drawings. The parts changes and differs from period to period, and no one is forbiding anyone to draw their own parts for their own drawings if they so insist. Such newly made parts naturally complies to the rules of crediting descriped above.

All shipbucket drawings are covered by the fair-use agreement, and each artists and member of the community submits to follow this clause when they choose posting in the Shipbucket Forum and submit their work for the uploading. This fair use agreement gives you all the permissions needed to work on Shipbucket and with shipbucket drawings.

Other permissions includes the right to submit drawings to the uploading that presents a ship or vessel allready existing in the archive. In such cases the permission is to be obtained from either the original artist or from Shipbucket staff that maintains the uploading process. This applies only the uploading process.

Generally posting Shipbucket drawings in Shipbucket's offical forum migth include permissions, and such are described in Shipbucket Forum's code of conduct and set of rules or instructed by the Forums administrators.

7. Image Format and Posting
If you want your drawing uploaded, it must be in the proper format. The allowed formats are .GIF and .PNG.

Do not save in .JPG format as it causes pixel artifacts that we will not fix for you. .BMP and .TIFF formats are too large for the Photobucket account to accept.

This applies to all external images you post in the forum as well.

[Profile] [Quote]
Gollevainen
Post subject: Re: Shipbucket Style Rules and Standard - Draft 2015Posted: February 9th, 2015, 6:34 pm
Allrigth Here is the draft of the revisited artistical rules of Shipbucket. I have constructed them around the old rule set and tried to keep them as simple as possible. Ive taken account of the ideas presented in the diiscussion threads, but this isen't blind collection of all these contradicting ideas put together. In many cases I've exercised the ultimate power and just decided how things are going to be, but don't worry, 100 % of these cases I've done so to cement the commonly used practices ;) I've done so becouse when I was approached to put some effort of this project, people actually wished that some sort of decissions regarding the most controversial things such as shading and gradients to be made. Now I have made them.

My main idea is to maintain the current SB style and allow it to be individual in most cases possible, thus sort of making rules out of current practices. I've cut out the most distant branches, such as multible shade shading and allowed significant artist level judgement in things like underwater shading, that allows people to explore this field and find solutions yet unseen.

If this doesen't gather widescale resistance, We will be adding these on the mainsite. Word is naturally free even at this point.

Also, some of this is old text, but most are mine, so naturally it migth be bit "finglish" in some respect, so if the native englishspeakers could kindly assist in getting the thesis into proper grammar, It would be great.

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: Shipbucket Style Rules and Standard - Draft 2015Posted: February 9th, 2015, 6:45 pm
I could do the editing for you, if you wish. I have a BA in English, so I should be able to handle it, Antti.

[Profile] [Quote]
Gollevainen
Post subject: Re: Shipbucket Style Rules and Standard - Draft 2015Posted: February 9th, 2015, 6:46 pm
Yea, that would be nice.

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: Shipbucket Style Rules and Standard - Draft 2015Posted: February 9th, 2015, 7:40 pm
Consider it done!

[Profile] [Quote]
BB1987
Post subject: Re: Shipbucket Style Rules and Standard - Draft 2015Posted: February 9th, 2015, 7:42 pm
Seems pretty reasonable to me.

-Koko Kyouwakoku (Republic of Koko)
-Koko's carrier-based aircrafts of WWII
-Koko Kaiun Yuso Kaisha - KoKaYu Line (Koko AU spinoff)
-Koko - Civil Aviation

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Shipbucket Style Rules and Standard - Draft 2015Posted: February 9th, 2015, 8:30 pm
First of all, I have to say that a language review from a native speaker of English language would not be just "great", but unfortunately a must.

Now some - generally minor - remarks.
Ad 1) Scale
I suggest writing explicitly that 1 pixel = 15,24cm, not just "approximately".

"Missiles and gun barrels can be a bit out of scale in order to emphasize their smaller characteristics, but they should always be roughly in the same scale. "
In the same scale as what? Again, a native speaker should preferably suggest some better phrasing - bit like "consistent scale".

Ad 2) Lines
"Narrow objects like railing, rigging, lines, antennas and so on can be drawn in grey color."
If I make a suggestion - particularly rigging, lines and some other elements (generally of "flexible shape") sometimes appear in various other colors as well, not only grey. Maybe "can be drawin in relevant colors without black contour"?

Ad 3) Details
"it needs to be drawn in three pixels (that is naturally a grey line between two black ones.)"
Usually grey line, but not always. Maybe "a color line (most often grey or white) between two black ones)"
Also, often (other) minor elements may be a "grey line between two dark grey ones" - if because of their shape or other characteristics don't make them "stand out" from their background with full (black) contour.

Ad 4) Colors
First paragraph is one of the places that need a native speaker most urgently. If I didn't knew what You're writing about, I would have problems guessing.

Ad 5) Shading and Shadowing ("Shadowing" with just single "d")
"In this examble, a perfectly round object is shaded with single lighter band in roughly center of the foremost 1/3 of the object. "
Besides being written in a complicated manner (and "example" - "p" not "b"), it implies (contrary to example drawing) that it's the only way of painting rounded objects, while, I believe there are two ("band in 1/3rd" and "lighter and darker bands towards edges" - which is the only one I'm actually using).
On a side note, to me the "lighter band on 1/3rd..." way of shading is inconsistent with general shading principle, but that's just a digression.

Additional remarks
I suggest adding an explicit description of railings (in number of pixels) and of standard portholes (preferably describing two versions of these - "standard" (with "blue" part 2x2 pixels) and "minor" (1x1 blue) for minor boats and crafts that are simply too small for "standard" ones.
Also, what is the current rule on waterline? From times when I started drawing here, making black waterline was a solid rule with minor exceptions for certain smaller craft where it would simply distort their appearance (and actually I keep using that rule), but over time it seems to be somewhat overlooked?

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Shipbucket Style Rules and Standard - Draft 2015Posted: February 9th, 2015, 8:35 pm
a few minor remarks:
Quote:
Usually everything should be outlined in Black color. This includes the hull lines, superstructures, objects, equipment outlines and so on. Only when you are drawing something that is smaller than 1/2 foot or 15cm, you need to reconsider using grey color of different shades. Narrow objects like railing, rigging, lines, antennas and so on can be drawn in grey color. Also, its custom to outline such non-standard surfaces like canvas and curtains with darker variation of their base color, rather than with black. This type of surfaces are usually temporary and non-solid and don't take some accurate shape or form when deployed.
maybe mention windows here?
Quote:
and all the variations in shade are there to indicate its structural differences
maybe mention the shape too (for example, round objects have variations in shade but not in structural difference)
Quote:
[ img ]
I would put 'shade underwater hull' as 'underwater hull colour' as that drawing is not actually shaded.
while I understand while any shading rules are left out, I would love to see them mentioned 'there are a few sets of shading styles commonly used.' or something like that. you might actually refer to my shading tutorial if you want, I plan to expand that with more styles in the future anyways so all styles I have seen used correctly are covered by it.
Quote:
or sections of someone else's drawings which are not in the "Things that help drawing" chart database,
I would have to look to find that chart database, so I am not certain if it still applies to new members
Quote:
Such newly made parts naturally complies to the rules of crediting descriped above.
it sounds like some parts should be credited here, that is not what you mean I think?
Quote:
.BMP and .TIFF formats are too large for the Photobucket account to accept.
maybe change this to 'the main site' because photobucket is no longer used for the archive.

that's all, I hope it makes sense :P

[Profile] [Quote]
JSB
Post subject: Re: Shipbucket Style Rules and Standard - Draft 2015Posted: February 10th, 2015, 12:13 am
This is looking promising and would be nice if the front page had more (and was a bit more up-to-date or at least didn't have any old dates on it).

My only comments are that I really like the 2 drawing you made I (and I'm sure others) will work better if as many as possible of the points are set out visually as well as in text.

JSB

[Profile] [Quote]
CraigH
Post subject: Re: Shipbucket Style Rules and Standard - Draft 2015Posted: February 10th, 2015, 2:16 am
My thoughts revolve primarily around providing clarification and specific examples for newbies. Get examples into the copy! Links to the tutorials that don't require a log-in, make it as easy as possible to teach new folks. That shading image works well Golly!
My early experience here required endless reading of old posts to locate a lot of the rules. I nearly walked away due to the time committed.

It might help newer folks if there was an illustration defining where the sun is for shadowing. (That drove me a little nuts when I started and I had to really dig for it). A picture is worth a thousand words and having it front and center...

I'll second Eswube's comments, particularly in regards to railing examples, rigging, antenna, etc., and porthole sizes. Might add a comment about "what if you have good engineering drawings", the standard railings are inappropriate for the ship (example: old sailing ships) for non-SB standard railing, etc.

Waterlines: I've been doing black. I've done some ships where some other highly contrasting color would have been more appropriate (like white). Just thinking out loud.

Bad sense of humor alert:
Evil thought: When editing for cleaned up "English", who's english? Old Commonwealth or get to the point and skip the excess letters American Standard? I tend to poke fun at my Canadian wife's (she who rules with iron fist) silly spellings. But then, she rips into all the archaic terms I use and that damned Californian accent dude. :twisted: :lol:

Time to start drawing small stuff again. Got some rules to stretch!
CraigH

Some railroad stuff
More random stuff that strikes me!

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 9  [ 87 posts ]  Return to “General Discussion” | Go to page 1 2 3 4 59 »

Jump to: