Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 6 of 9  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page « 14 5 6 7 8 9 »
CraigH
Post subject: Re: Shipbucket Style Rules and Standard - Draft 2015Posted: February 15th, 2015, 4:00 pm
Ace: A REALLY nice update on the tutorial!

All: Rules, Recommended Practices, Appendix, Tutorials. In the end they are all interconnected and should be part of the same overall document set. Easily accessed both in the forum and main site. Ideally in the Forum accessible on every page listing topics in each category. A little extra work on the back-end but readily available to everyone. It's already basically done with the Announcements...just expand it a little.

Ditto on the Main Site home page. That's primarily in need on an update which is what's happening here now. The only problem with the material on the main site is that some of the tutorials need updates or really require that a viewer set up an account. That material really should be made as accessible as possible for new people, shy people, etc.

Now, Here's a couple items to add to the growing pile of fodder for the documents:
[ img ]
To help answer a concern a few days ago
This is actually a big one. Way to many web sites don't tell you what the length measurements are based on. The only real sources we can rely on are those done by true Nautical Historians with high quality pedigrees. A lot of the web sites are done by armchair hobbyists.

Another was the file naming conventions:
[ img ]

Wasn't there one done by Timothy that was more extensive????

I know I need to review this one :oops:

Here's a WW II German Naval Color Chart I started the other day. WIP The raw colors need a sanity check before I start creating alternate shades.
[ img ]

I feel Color Charts would fall into a Recommended Practices Category.

Hope this helps the cause.
CraigH

Some railroad stuff
More random stuff that strikes me!

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: Shipbucket Style Rules and Standard - Draft 2015Posted: February 15th, 2015, 4:28 pm
There's a small error on the first drawing CraigH.
LPP is not the length of the design waterline, it's the length between perpendiculars. From the point where the design waterline intersects the stem to the centreline of the rudder stem.

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Shipbucket Style Rules and Standard - Draft 2015Posted: February 15th, 2015, 4:35 pm
sorry to say, there are some flaws in your length definitions, CraigH :P
- LOA is often considered the length including bowsprit. sometimes it is considered length excluding bowsprit. for clarity....... just not include the bowsprit?
- LPP means length between perpendiculars. the rudder stock is one of these perpendiculars, so your LPP is NOT the LWL. this is only the case when in design the rudder position is not yet known OR when the rudder is too far from the stern. note also that the LPP takes the moulded length forward, so without the plating thickness.
- LOD = length over deck but is also another weird definition, which I call LPP?

it might be that many of these definitions are different in sailing ships, but as there are very few people here drawing sailing ships and a lot drawing warships, I think this one adds more to the confusion then helping :P

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: Shipbucket Style Rules and Standard - Draft 2015Posted: February 15th, 2015, 4:47 pm
For me there is only two standard length standard I use and that is LOA and LWL all other length is not necessary in shipbucket scale... we are not drawing the building plans!

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: Shipbucket Style Rules and Standard - Draft 2015Posted: February 15th, 2015, 4:49 pm
heuhen wrote:
For me there is only two standard length standard I use and that is LOA and LWL all other length is not necessary in shipbucket scale... we are not drawing the building plans!
No, but they may be the only clearly defined measurements available on the source drawings.

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
Gollevainen
Post subject: Re: Shipbucket Style Rules and Standard - Draft 2015Posted: February 15th, 2015, 5:09 pm
Yea, for example Im currently drawing a pre-dreadnougth era never-where drawing where only PP length is given, but the picture does not contain the underwater hull at all. So clarity is ineed quite handy in this regard. (similar thing for FD scale aircrafts could be in place as well). Since all those three lengths are rather clearly defined in shipbuilding standards, our instructions should be according to so as well in that regard.

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: Shipbucket Style Rules and Standard - Draft 2015Posted: February 16th, 2015, 12:03 am
As for ship classifications, let's not forget for instance: ACR = Armored Cruiser and C = Protected Cruiser; TBD= Torpedo Boat Destroyer, an early form of what became the destroyer. There are probably a few more that I've forgotten, but may need to be included.

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: Shipbucket Style Rules and Standard - Draft 2015Posted: February 16th, 2015, 8:08 am
bezobrazov wrote:
As for ship classifications, let's not forget for instance: ACR = Armored Cruiser and C = Protected Cruiser; TBD= Torpedo Boat Destroyer, an early form of what became the destroyer. There are probably a few more that I've forgotten, but may need to be included.
When we made that list back in the big clean up, we decide that we should make an simple version. If we didn't do that the list would had over hundreds different classification for ships. Just minelayers, minesweepers, etc. Had 5-8 different classification after international standards.

So a TBD is on this list under DD.

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Shipbucket Style Rules and Standard - Draft 2015Posted: February 16th, 2015, 8:40 am
@CraigH
The filename conventions sheet You posted is already long outdated. Current one is here:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=4165
(Shipbucket News and Announcements / Forum News)

[Profile] [Quote]
CraigH
Post subject: Re: Shipbucket Style Rules and Standard - Draft 2015Posted: February 16th, 2015, 1:56 pm
Thanks Eswube!

I had a feeling it was wrong, there were ship classes missing. The current version is just the sort of thing that needs to go with the appendices on the rules documents.

CraigH

Some railroad stuff
More random stuff that strikes me!

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 6 of 9  [ 87 posts ]  Return to “General Discussion” | Go to page « 14 5 6 7 8 9 »

Jump to: