Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 2  [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 »
WhyMe
Post subject: How to design a good flag for your AUPosted: September 25th, 2015, 10:49 pm
Before designing flags for your AU please consider doing these two simple things first:

1. Watch this pretty entertaining video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnv5iKB2hl4
2. Read this short pamphlet (mentioned in the video): https://portlandflag.files.wordpress.co ... al_web.pdf

It should give you a good idea about basics of flag design and help creating great looking flags.

[Profile] [Quote]
Blackbuck
Post subject: Re: How to design a good flag for your AUPosted: September 26th, 2015, 9:38 am
I can't help but think that this must be aimed at someone in particular for it to be brought up. Unfortunately I don't foresee a lot of people heeding any vexillological principles any time soon primarily because for the most part people draw their flags up to appeal to them, not to conform to aforementioned principles.

[Profile] [Quote]
Judah14
Post subject: Re: How to design a good flag for your AUPosted: September 26th, 2015, 1:08 pm
Though I have only read these principles now, I had similar thoughts in mind when I designed the flag for the Republic of Corpus Christi, keeping it simple by having symbolism in the color (red, blue and yellow colors are taken from the Philippine flag, noting Corpus Christi being previously part of the Philippines) and the cross (representing Anglican and Catholic Christianity practiced in the country).
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
APDAF
Post subject: Re: How to design a good flag for your AUPosted: September 26th, 2015, 3:26 pm
They only real rule that the Flag of Britannia breaks is the 2-3 basic colours but it does conform to everyother rule.
The green represents the green fields of the empire's homeland.
The gold represents the untarnishable imperial dyansty.
The gray is the steel resolve of the people of the empire.
The dark red is the blood of those who have given their lives to defend the empire though out the centuries.
The double barred cross has nothing to do with religion but is meant to be destintive enough not to be mistaken in battle.

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
WhyMe
Post subject: Re: How to design a good flag for your AUPosted: September 26th, 2015, 9:42 pm
Oh, don't get me wrong, guys; I'm not pointing at anyone in particular. Although I have to admit that more often than not I cringe while browsing the nation description part of the AU forum, but who am I to judge, right? :)
Besides, there are bad flags in real world so not having a perfect flag in your AU might actually add another layer of realism.

[Profile] [Quote]
Karle94
Post subject: Re: How to design a good flag for your AUPosted: September 26th, 2015, 11:49 pm
I was thinking of flags for my Rome AU. So far I've used the old red background with the SPQR and eagle. I have designed two new flags and wanted some input. And here they are:

[ img ]

[ img ]

Now, which one is best?

[Profile] [Quote]
tsd715
Post subject: Re: How to design a good flag for your AUPosted: September 26th, 2015, 11:59 pm
Karle94 wrote:
I was thinking of flags for my Rome AU. So far I've used the old red background with the SPQR and eagle. I have designed two new flags and wanted some input. And here they are:

[ img ]

[ img ]

Now, which one is best?
I like the horizontally striped one, but have you thought about just a solid red background? Maybe with a gold outline?

[Profile] [Quote]
Karle94
Post subject: Re: How to design a good flag for your AUPosted: September 27th, 2015, 12:13 am
Doesnt really fit a modern flag, now does it?

[Profile] [Quote]
tsd715
Post subject: Re: How to design a good flag for your AUPosted: September 27th, 2015, 12:22 am
Karle94 wrote:
Doesnt really fit a modern flag, now does it?
Why not? I think some of the most attractive modern flags are designs on a solid background. Just to clarify, I do really like both of the designs you put out, I was just suggesting another option that I thought you might like. Of course your word is final. :D

[Profile] [Quote]
Karle94
Post subject: Re: How to design a good flag for your AUPosted: September 27th, 2015, 3:33 pm
The original flag I had looked like this: http://wilsonancientrome.wikispaces.com ... R_flag.png

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 2  [ 13 posts ]  Return to “General Discussion” | Go to page 1 2 »

Jump to: