Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 3  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 3 »
acelanceloet
Post subject: Dropbox public folder disappearingPosted: December 15th, 2016, 8:03 pm
I just got an email from Dropbox, which will have quite some implication for the people using Dropbox for sharing their images on shipbucket. I have included it below, although I think more people will have gotten it or will soon get it.
Quote:
We’re always looking to improve the Dropbox sharing experience. The Public folder was the first sharing method we introduced, and since then, we’ve built even better ways for you to share securely and work together with your team.

As a result, we’ll soon be ending support for the Public folder. Dropbox Basic users will be able to use the Public folder until March 15, 2017. After that date the files in your Public folder will become private, and links to these files will be deactivated. Your files will remain safe in Dropbox.

If you’d like to keep sharing files in your Public folder, you can create new shared links. Just make sure to send the new URLs to your collaborators.

In addition to shared links, we have a number of sharing options designed to make collaboration easier and give you more control. To learn more, visit our Help Center.

The Dropbox team
In short, it looks like at least some of us will need to find a new host. It seems likely, but of course we can only confirm this after March 15, that the 'hack' we used to have public files without the public folder, will be gone as well.

Note that for example the belowdeck parts sheet is hosted almost completely in my public folder, and while I have the files backed up, I do not have the time to move all those files to a new host and relink them. It might be good to look for an more permanent solution for these issues, IIRC there was some work done on the new main site which might solve issues like these?

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Dropbox public folder disappearingPosted: December 15th, 2016, 8:33 pm
What the...?
I haven't got such email (yet), but it's a very worrying information, if happen to have all the potential consequences. :/

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Dropbox public folder disappearingPosted: December 15th, 2016, 8:47 pm
their website confirms https://www.dropbox.com/help/16 (I was hoping it was a joke)

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: Dropbox public folder disappearingPosted: December 15th, 2016, 9:44 pm
A real shame. The public folder was the best feature of dropbox and it's going to break a lot of links on the forum alone.

Annoyingly, this comes right as I've realized the website revamp project will likely not be happening after all now that the guy who was going to help us is moving away...

I'm going to explore creating a private upload feature for people to use on the Shipbucket site.

[Profile] [Quote]
Novice
Post subject: Re: Dropbox public folder disappearingPosted: December 15th, 2016, 11:15 pm
Bad news indeed. Although I haven't received such mail till now, the idea of trying to search for a new hosting site gives me a headache.
I had high hopes for the Shipbucket revamp' but having read Ian's post, was like getting cold water streaming down my back.

"Never fear to try on something new. Remember that the Titanic was built by professionals, and the Ark by an amateur"

[Profile] [Quote]
Krakatoa
Post subject: Re: Dropbox public folder disappearingPosted: December 16th, 2016, 2:28 am
The rest of us who have been using Drop-Box without a Public Folder are fine, our links wont go away.

Those who have the Public Folder do not need a new host, they just have to relink the drawings from a new set of folders you set up yourself. Worry about it when it happens, but you have 3 months odd to change over all your links.

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: Dropbox public folder disappearingPosted: December 16th, 2016, 8:44 am
I don't think there are any other free image hosts left, and if there are, then they probably won't remain so for very long.
Sad news about the site update too.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: Dropbox public folder disappearingPosted: December 16th, 2016, 9:56 am
In reality it doesn't change so much. The only thing that change is for use that have an public folder on our computer, it will from be an private folder. We can still get links from dropbox.com, the old way, by go to there web page and gett the public link there.

The reason they do this, is due to having an folder on your computer that are directly connected to Dropbox servers, you are basically keeping a door open in the firewall at all time and make your computer an easy target.

They do this for protecting your privacy and protecting your computer from any harmfull Virus/spam/trojan/hack/etc.

You will still be able to use and share dropbox for free, it's just the folder on your computer (if you have one), that says good by!

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Dropbox public folder disappearingPosted: December 16th, 2016, 6:04 pm
Could you guys mark where you have found the public links would still be there? because all I have read (all linked above) I understood as that the public sharing would go away. While it would still be possible to link files, they would no longer be able to be embedded in the web pages as we do now. I quote from the help page linked above:
Quote:
If you want to share any Public folder content again, you’ll need to use any of our other sharing methods. Learn more.
learn more then links to this page https://www.dropbox.com/help/167 where no public links are there. there is the shared link file which does pretty much the same but does not allow embedding on our forums, only linking to an dropbox web page where you can view the file and also comment or download it.

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: Dropbox public folder disappearingPosted: December 16th, 2016, 6:11 pm
Those Dropbox "shared file" pages are awful - extremely slow to render and never show the actual size image which makes it useless for posting raster images like Shipbucket drawings. Truly I think Dropbox will be out. The way I understand it, the workaround the rest of you guys have used will also be going away.

This is likely happening due to sharing of copyrighted work via the public folder...

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 3  [ 30 posts ]  Return to “General Discussion” | Go to page 1 2 3 »

Jump to: