Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 2 of 3  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 »
heuhen
Post subject: Re: Dropbox public folder disappearingPosted: December 17th, 2016, 2:41 pm
Windows pc and mobiles have "OneDrive", Windows 10 have it as standard.

It is possible to get a IMG link from it but it's hard, and you get it only as a full size picture. That isn't a problem for us.

OneDrive is there automatically if you have Windows 10 and Windows 10 mobile, it will automatically save picture you take with you's mobile... at least for me that have windows mobile and pc.

For example a picture I toke on one of my travels in Norway:

BIIIIG picture (note how the link is displayed)
https://8lp6va-sn3302.files.1drv.com/y3 ... jpg?psid=1

if you can see the picture.. it works...

Dropbox are basically changing into what "oneDrive" already are. you will still get the picture link... but it will be a little harder to obtain than before, in "oneDrive" I have to first have the original picture shown, then copy the image link.

I can come back to it, when dropbox change, and if it is going for the totally worst scenario.

[Profile] [Quote]
Ecstatic Owl
Post subject: Re: Dropbox public folder disappearingPosted: December 17th, 2016, 5:10 pm
Why don't you try Imgur? That works fine for me.

http://i.imgur.com/i2AvvnQ.png

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: Dropbox public folder disappearingPosted: December 17th, 2016, 6:01 pm
I have no problem using Imgur, it's a nice tool. the Only thing I am just looking after are something that can replace dropbox on a 1 to 1 ratio.

[Profile] [Quote]
Ecstatic Owl
Post subject: Re: Dropbox public folder disappearingPosted: December 17th, 2016, 6:08 pm
Ah. What about Google Drive?

[Profile] [Quote]
Novice
Post subject: Re: Dropbox public folder disappearingPosted: December 17th, 2016, 8:33 pm
heuhen wrote:

I can't see the picture because it says I have to sign in to some Microsoft thing.

The problem with Imgur is that it changes file names.

"Never fear to try on something new. Remember that the Titanic was built by professionals, and the Ark by an amateur"

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: Dropbox public folder disappearingPosted: December 17th, 2016, 9:03 pm
Novice wrote:
heuhen wrote:

I can't see the picture because it says I have to sign in to some Microsoft thing.

The problem with Imgur is that it changes file names.
Then it doesn't work! very well, then it might be a combination of imgur, dropbox and google drive in the future... when the time comes.

[Profile] [Quote]
Colombamike
Post subject: Re: Dropbox public folder disappearingPosted: December 17th, 2016, 9:29 pm
Personnaly,
Since a lot of time, I use HOSTINGPICS.NET
http://www.hostingpics.net/

[Profile] [Quote]
citizen lambda
Post subject: Re: Dropbox public folder disappearingPosted: December 25th, 2016, 10:14 am
Coming a bit late to the topic, but I have a basic question: how does this public folder thing affect shared links?
As far as I can recall, Dropbox had announced the removal of the public folder function long enough ago that I never used it in the first place since I opened an account specifically for SB earlier this year. Hell, already in 2013 people here were discussing the planned phasing out of the public folder...
Now maybe I'm missing something, but as far as posting individual pictures to SB this is not going to impact the standard way of working as described in the end of this thread.

P.S. for people looking for an alternative image host with a free-use/user privacy slant, the French open-source collective Framasoft has developed the Framapic image host based on the Lutim software, and the Framadrive Dropbox-like file host. Can't say I have tested those but I use some of their other services without trouble. The interface isn't completely in English yet, so don't hesitate to ask for clarification.

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Dropbox public folder disappearingPosted: December 25th, 2016, 2:17 pm
I really hope that it will be indeed possible to "go around" the announced changes in the Dropbox, without any re-linking etc.
Otherwise it will influence availability of the lots of content - esp. in the FD area, where most stuff is in the threads which are periodically locked (not mentioning the effect it will have on the Master Lists I'm compiling :roll: ).
(Of course I'm saving the FD pics - or rather most of them, except AU stuff, so they wouldn't be lost entirely, but it would certainly complicate things)

And of course I would already want to thank everyone here who's suggesting possible alternatives. You guys may be saving lots of nerves if the s***t will actually hit the fan.

[Profile] [Quote]
Garlicdesign
Post subject: Re: Dropbox public folder disappearingPosted: January 16th, 2017, 6:48 pm
Hello everyone

just a thought... involving a lot of work for other people than me, so don't jump at me... but if the site revamp is not happening and dropbox goes belly-up in six weeks, maybe it would be a good idea to have another old-fashioned upload session???

As I said, just a thought...

Greetings
GD

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 2 of 3  [ 30 posts ]  Return to “General Discussion” | Go to page « 1 2 3 »

Jump to: