Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 1  [ 3 posts ] 
alotef
Post subject: Help seeking a troop-ship; Southampton July 1944Posted: July 1st, 2017, 2:52 am
Dear Shipbucketers!

Please forgive me if this is the wrong sub-forum for this request! I am at my wit's end.
I haven't posted here in around 4 years now and its wonderful to see all the incredible hard work you've been putting in!

This is a request for information. I'm writing a book about my grandfather and would love to know the name of the ship which carried him to war. He was in the Leicestershire Regiment and left Southampton on July 2 1944, arriving at Arromanches the next day. I cannot find the name of this ship anywhere, I recall stumbling across it once before but have since forgotten and cannot find the link!! (Imagine how maddening that is!) I think she was a converted liner.

Any information would be greatly, greatly appreciated! I thought this would be the perfect place to start since I do not know of another greater collection of ship nerds. :D

Regardless, I hope you are all well and I hope my old friends here are doing fine.

Kind regards,

Mike.

[Profile] [Quote]
emperor_andreas
Post subject: Re: Help seeking a troop-ship; Southampton July 1944Posted: July 1st, 2017, 7:29 am
Glad to see you back, alotef! Hopefully we can see some more Olympic-class masterpieces soon! As to your request, I did some digging:

The 1st Battalion of the Leicestershire Regiment left Southampton aboard the Princess Maude, a converted steamer built for the London Midland and Scottish Railway in 1934. The ship survived World War II and was eventually scrapped in Bilbao, Spain in 1973.

Here's a pic of her: http://londonanduktaxitours.com//wp-con ... s-Maud.png

Hope this was what you're looking for!

The Official IJN Ships & Planes List

#FJB

[Profile] [Quote]
alotef
Post subject: Re: Help seeking a troop-ship; Southampton July 1944Posted: July 1st, 2017, 10:35 pm
Emperor_Andreas!
Good to hear from you again mate! I hope you've kept well! I do indeed have some little Olympic-class goodies to post at some point soon! :D

Very interesting about Princess Maud!! I'm curious to see how you arrived on her since the official history states they left in an LST but my grandfather always mentioned a small steamship like you have shown here!

Cheers for the information!! Every little piece helps to solve this great puzzle!

~Mike

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 1  [ 3 posts ]  Return to “General Discussion”

Jump to: