Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ] 
Colosseum
Post subject: Watch me draw camouflage on a Gearing class destroyer (40min video)Posted: August 11th, 2017, 4:32 am
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdlCCB3 ... e=youtu.be

My first attempt at making a video tutorial. I'm sorry for the extreme length - it's basically a train-of-thought livestream. Watch me re-create the Measure 33 scheme from USS Frank Knox (DD-742) I posted a few days ago: but this time in full HD video!

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: Watch me draw camouflage on a Gearing class destroyer (40min video)Posted: August 11th, 2017, 8:11 am
Impressive, you have definitely sold layering tools to me. It's so much easier than doing it by hand. I don't think its any less skillful but it is more powerful in that doing these camouflage schemes is easier and therefore less of a chore and offers greater scope.

I think the emphasis is also placed on good research, so you know what it should look like and how to recreate that and understand the subtleties of the design.

Perhaps one addition could be to explain how you recreated the correct colours and decided the shades?

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: Watch me draw camouflage on a Gearing class destroyer (40min video)Posted: August 11th, 2017, 4:52 pm
Thanks - I didn't expect the video to turn out so long, I guess for next time I won't try to do something so complicated in real time. ;)

I'd ideally like to produce (shorter - under 10 min) video tutorials for other things, if there's interest. Perhaps the process of picking the colors can be explained too.

It's a lot easier to explain this stuff via voice/real time recording!

[Profile] [Quote]
BB1987
Post subject: Re: Watch me draw camouflage on a Gearing class destroyer (40min video)Posted: August 11th, 2017, 5:05 pm
Surely it was an interesting watch, at least for me it dind't felt like a 40m video.
Photobucket surely is a poweful tool for such jobs, pity that somehow I've still failed to master it and other multi-layered programs. One more reason to try again and learn it!

-Koko Kyouwakoku (Republic of Koko)
-Koko's carrier-based aircrafts of WWII
-Koko Kaiun Yuso Kaisha - KoKaYu Line (Koko AU spinoff)
-Koko - Civil Aviation

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: Watch me draw camouflage on a Gearing class destroyer (40min video)Posted: August 11th, 2017, 5:09 pm
Maybe an idea for another (short) video tutorial on how to use Photoshop for drawing. ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Watch me draw camouflage on a Gearing class destroyer (40min video)Posted: August 11th, 2017, 8:17 pm
Great work. Thank You for the effort You've put in making this! :)

That said, I have to admit that seeing how Photoshop works (or rather: how it is operated) actually discouraged me from attempting to use it and I'll rather stick to my trusty old manually-operated Paint. ;) ;)

Btw. the "clean-up" issue of overpainted elements (minutes 32-36) - be it in layers mode in Photoshop or by manually swapping it with a brush in Paint - is why I prefer to use entirely separate colors (or maybe rather: shades) for railings, antennas, rigging and the like.

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: Watch me draw camouflage on a Gearing class destroyer (40min video)Posted: August 11th, 2017, 10:02 pm
Don't worry, I have long ago given up the idea of trying to get people to use Photoshop. ;)
Quote:
Btw. the "clean-up" issue of overpainted elements (minutes 32-36) - be it in layers mode in Photoshop or by manually swapping it with a brush in Paint - is why I prefer to use entirely separate colors (or maybe rather: shades) for railings, antennas, rigging and the like.
This becomes difficult though when the railing or rigging passes in front of the camouflaged superstructure. The method I've developed (of creating a mask and then deleting its inverse) seems to be easy enough.

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: Watch me draw camouflage on a Gearing class destroyer (40min video)Posted: August 11th, 2017, 11:23 pm
Lordy, I thought I used a lot of layers...

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ]  Return to “General Discussion”

Jump to: