Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 1  [ 3 posts ] 
Karle94
Post subject: Italian Battlecruiser: Any Ideas?Posted: April 27th, 2020, 4:20 pm
As the title says, I've been thinking about a hypothetical Italian battlecruiser that slots between the Andrea Doria class and the Caracciolo class, but I'm a bit stumped as to what that ship should look like, and what arnament it should have. What would work best; a 4x2 12in turrets similar to the Dante Alighieri, or 3x3 12in turrets? Alternatively I could do superfiring guns, but that would sort of break the whole non superfiring thing that the Italians started and the Russians and the Austrio-Hungarian navies copied.

Edit: Just came up with this;
Livorno class battlecruser as commisioned in 1917:
[ img ]

Last edited by Karle94 on May 11th, 2020, 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
emperor_andreas
Post subject: Re: Italian Battlecruiser: Any Ideas?Posted: April 28th, 2020, 8:19 am
Nice work!

The Official IJN Ships & Planes List

#FJB

[Profile] [Quote]
Krakatoa
Post subject: Re: Italian Battlecruiser: Any Ideas?Posted: April 29th, 2020, 1:26 am
Just a few thoughts.

There is no need for a battlecruiser per-se as the Caraciolo was a fast battleship class in line with the Queen Elizabeth, but faster.

The prior 13x12" battleships were faster than their other European counterparts by 2 to 3 knots. Was a battlecruiser required?

If a battlecruiser was to be built it would probably have replaced one of the five 13x12's, probably Leonardo da Vinci. Italy's building capacity/finances could not have accepted another capital ship.

The Italian 12" fired a heavier shell than the British and German guns.

I would think that a 'battlecruiser' could be a reworked 13x12" design removing the centre turret to increase the powerplant for the extra speed required, while lengthening the hull and fining the hull ratio for the hull to be able maintain the speed better. Give a 10x12" armament. Also means no new armaments, turrets and guns need be ordered.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 1  [ 3 posts ]  Return to “General Discussion”

Jump to: