Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 5 of 13  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page « 13 4 5 6 713 »
eswube
Post subject: Re: Thiarian WingsPosted: December 25th, 2013, 8:13 am
Totally ugly plane (as usual with 5th gen. fighters :lol: ), totally fantastic drawings and camo work. :)

[Profile] [Quote]
Blackbuck
Post subject: Re: Thiarian WingsPosted: December 25th, 2013, 9:01 am
I concur, what a gloriously ugly aircraft. Camouflage as ever looks rather appealing however.

[Profile] [Quote]
Trojan
Post subject: Re: Thiarian WingsPosted: December 25th, 2013, 9:13 am
Fantastic job, really can't express how awesome the camo is with words. Sorry if I missed it in the text but will the Thiarian interceptor be upgraded with air to ground capability eventually?

References and feedback is always welcome!

[Profile] [Quote]
sebu
Post subject: Re: Thiarian WingsPosted: December 25th, 2013, 10:36 am
Totally great job! It would be great to see Finnish version too.

[Profile] [Quote]
Garlicdesign
Post subject: Re: Thiarian WingsPosted: December 29th, 2013, 7:42 pm
Hello again!

Of course, the Aer Chor gets its share of Airbus A400Ms too. Their hopelessly rusty Transalls will be replaced by 38 A400M from 2014 to equip one heavy transport wing (three squadrons with 10 aircraft each plus attrition reserve).

[ img ]

Greetings
GD

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: Thiarian WingsPosted: December 29th, 2013, 7:49 pm
That camo is just too much. It clashes with all the details on the (superb) baseline aircraft and I think it's also unrealistically complicated to be applied to an aircraft. It also appears to be generated with a program and that's just lazy. ;)

The red markings on the previous fighters should also be toned down to match the underlying paint scheme. ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
Garlicdesign
Post subject: Re: Thiarian WingsPosted: December 29th, 2013, 10:40 pm
Hello Colo:

1. The camo is realistic as far as detailing is concerned; I've used the digital camo commissioned for the Jordanian Air Force's F-16s as an inspiration
[ img ]

2. It's the essence of digital camo schemes that they look like generated with a program, because in reality, they are.

3. Having said that to preserve my dignity ;), you're quite right about the camo looking cheap and ruining the detailing of the plane; I'll probably come up with something with less contrast for the Thiarian A400M sometime later.

4. The red markings on the Siolpaires are part of a 1980s vintage paint scheme; many people did not take low visibilty too seriously back then. The 2000s/2010s machines are low visibility all over without significant red markings. The Asarlai fighters with red and yellow markings are prototypes; their markings are supposed to stand out.

Greetings
GD

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: Thiarian WingsPosted: December 30th, 2013, 1:57 am
Quote:
1. The camo is realistic as far as detailing is concerned; I've used the digital camo commissioned for the Jordanian Air Force's F-16s as an inspiration
I had not seen that, thanks for linking it.
Quote:
2. It's the essence of digital camo schemes that they look like generated with a program, because in reality, they are.
What I meant was that your camouflage looked to be generated automatically when it generally should be applied by hand where possible (especially when drawing a scheme for an aircraft).
Quote:
you're quite right about the camo looking cheap and ruining the detailing of the plane; I'll probably come up with something with less contrast for the Thiarian A400M sometime later.
I'm not sure "less contrast" would really help - the pattern is just going to look quite strange on any FD scale aircraft that you draw unfortunately. ;) I also think it's just a bit much to have it applied to an aircraft this large. An F16 is one thing (it's relatively small), but an A400M is quite a large plane and painting and then maintaining a complicated scheme like the above would be difficult and rather costly.
Quote:
4. The red markings on the Siolpaires are part of a 1980s vintage paint scheme; many people did not take low visibilty too seriously back then. The 2000s/2010s machines are low visibility all over without significant red markings. The Asarlai fighters with red and yellow markings are prototypes; their markings are supposed to stand out.
Sure but did they really use an extremely bright red? Using FF0000 just seems a bit much. It really clashes with the otherwise excellent scheme below it and I think with a little bit of color blend you could fix the "jarring" look of the Siolpaires.

BTW I am not knocking your work in the slightest. It's all very well done outside the reservations I've listed above.

[Profile] [Quote]
seeker36340
Post subject: Re: Thiarian WingsPosted: December 30th, 2013, 2:35 am
what a cammo job...how do you have the patience (and time) to do it?

wonderful work

(Edited by nighthunter. Seeker, I swear if I have to do this again, you will not be happy. We have edit buttons for A REASON!)

[Profile] [Quote]
Garlicdesign
Post subject: Re: Thiarian WingsPosted: December 30th, 2013, 8:46 pm
Hello everyone!

New digital fractal camo pattern for the Thiarian A400M, with less contrast and bigger splotches; I think it looks better now. Her features stand out better, anyway.You even can make out the shading, which was impossible on the old drawing.

[ img ]

Of course I have to admit to Colo that this colour scheme is difficult to maintain outside a factory or maintenance yard (applying it will probably not that hard in the factory) - but that's a problem the maintenance personnel will just have to live with. They are paid well enough. As a nation with merely 34 Million inhabitants in 2013, the Thiarians have to pay their soldiers pretty well in order to attract enough folk to maintain a fully professional force of 180.000. The A400M must be able to perform low-altitude missions in high-threat areas (special forces insertion, paradrops, air supply for besieged garrisons and stuff like that), and it is big and sluggish; it will need optimal camouflage maybe more than any other plane in Thiaria's inventory. So, digital fractal camo it is, be it practical or not.

Greetings
GD

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 5 of 13  [ 127 posts ]  Return to “FD Scale Drawings” | Go to page « 13 4 5 6 713 »

Jump to: