Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 6 of 6  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5 6
erik_t
Post subject: Re: New Federal Republic of Aznaiza DestoyersPosted: March 27th, 2014, 10:25 pm
Doesn't matter where you have ASROC. The only reason the Farraguts mounted theirs on O1 is because they were originally supposed to have two Mk 42 forward.

Might as well drop it to reduce topweight, I suppose.

For guidance on the helo pad aft, I'd look to Truxtun.

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: New Federal Republic of Aznaiza DestoyersPosted: March 27th, 2014, 10:30 pm
not the missile should be above the launcher. so the ASROC missile should be above the ASSROC-launcher and not the missile launcher aft.

[Profile] [Quote]
Ruterra
Post subject: Re: New Federal Republic of Aznaiza DestoyersPosted: March 27th, 2014, 10:32 pm
heuhen wrote:
not the missile should be above the launcher. so the ASROC missile should be above the ASSROC-launcher and not the missile launcher aft.
Ok thanks

[Profile] [Quote]
usna2k
Post subject: Re: New Federal Republic of Aznaiza DestoyersPosted: April 3rd, 2014, 4:17 pm
Ruterra wrote:
Finally what can I do to create a helicopter pad on top of the Mk 10 Horizontal GMLS?
Hello - it has been a couple years since I have logged in here, but I saw your question and thought to reply:

Why not consider moving the CWI illuminators for the Terrier system amidships, and create an empty space aft of the stack...then look at a retractable hangar (i.e. FF-1052 or the WHECs), which should probably give you a workable deck for a small helo (Wasp/Alouette/SH-2 type).

[Profile] [Quote]
odysseus1980
Post subject: Re: New Federal Republic of Aznaiza DestoyersPosted: April 4th, 2014, 9:37 am
The design does has potential, but the problem is weapons arrangement. Look at Kimon Class and Brisbane Class, both based on Coontz hull. The Kimon (built for AU Hellas) has Mk10 GMLS with the hangar above it, ASROC amidships and Mk29 front, while gun is a Mk42. Brisbane is an AU Austaralian DDG with twin Mk42, Mk13 front and hangar for a Sea King.

Kimon DDG:
http://www.shipbucket.com/forums/viewto ... &start=460

Last edited by odysseus1980 on April 4th, 2014, 3:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
Shipright
Post subject: Re: New Federal Republic of Aznaiza DestoyersPosted: April 4th, 2014, 1:03 pm
Honestly I would just compress your aft and forward superstructure into a more central single structure or at least much closer with your boarts and such in the center so you can expand the current superstucture out to the beam Either approach will open up deck space forward and aft for all of your weapons.

That may cause problems with correctly representing the original hull's engine spaces but I am not sure if you are preserving their alignment anyway.

EDIT: Also, reverse the top of your aft mast so that the search radar mounted there is not masked by both the forward and aft masts.

[Profile] [Quote]
Ruterra
Post subject: Re: New Federal Republic of Aznaiza DestoyersPosted: April 6th, 2014, 1:27 am
usna2k wrote:
Ruterra wrote:
Finally what can I do to create a helicopter pad on top of the Mk 10 Horizontal GMLS?
Hello - it has been a couple years since I have logged in here, but I saw your question and thought to reply:

Why not consider moving the CWI illuminators for the Terrier system amidships, and create an empty space aft of the stack...then look at a retractable hangar (i.e. FF-1052 or the WHECs), which should probably give you a workable deck for a small helo (Wasp/Alouette/SH-2 type).
I actually like that idea. However won't the rear funnel block the CWI illuminators if I moved them amidships?

[Profile] [Quote]
usna2k
Post subject: Re: New Federal Republic of Aznaiza DestoyersPosted: April 7th, 2014, 11:09 am
Ruterra wrote:
I actually like that idea. However won't the rear funnel block the CWI illuminators if I moved them amidships?
Depends on how you arrange them, but yes - you won't have a clear line of sight in some arc on either side of both the bow and stern. The other trade-off is you probably can only engage one missile target per side due to LoS and the need to have one illuminator on either side of the ship (assuming you are mounting two SPG-55s - they are quite bulky - doubtful you could get away with a third). Ships do have constrained firing arcs as a matter of fact; the FFGs I have served in could only fire the 76mm gun in two arcs on either side of the ship, for example. Moving them is probably a good move anyway, however - the higher of your two is going to be plagued by stack gas in its current location.

Hope this helps.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 6 of 6  [ 58 posts ]  Return to “Beginners Only” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5 6

Jump to: