Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 3  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 3 »
RP1
Post subject: UCL DRC Designs: UUV SubmarinePosted: April 19th, 2014, 11:48 pm
The last part of the Three Colours Unmanned Trilogy: A UUV carrying SSN.

[ img ]

The boats' own weapons are external 21 inch tubes for self defence. She carries 6 large (24 tonne) fuel cell powered UUVs, (using current technology) which can operate as weapons carriers, sensor and communication nodes etc, or some combination of smaller vehicles.

The structure aft of the sail contains the hydrogen/oxygen plant, which is in a separate module due to concerns about the safety of having so much oxygen stored in the people tank. The UUVs would be stowed external to the pressure hull, behind the large hatches, and land on the aft casing to refuel.

This design was worked up in some detail, but there are still several oversights that could easily be fixed in a later iteration. Ultimately, however, the exercise served its purposes: Investigate whether the concept was feasible; investigate the application of the design methodology to this problem; demonstrate the capability to examine this problem. The work was subsequently picked up by a PhD researcher with external funding, who has been looking at more refined concepts using this as a baseline for comparison. :D

RP1

Reference:

Pawling, R & Andrews, DJ, “A Submarine Concept Design – The Submarine as an UXV Mothership”, International Conference Warship 2011: Naval Submarines and UUVs, RINA, Bath, June 2011.

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: UCL DRC Designs: UUV SubmarinePosted: April 20th, 2014, 12:36 am
Splendid. How many 21" weapons would the ship be able to carry?

[Profile] [Quote]
klagldsf
Post subject: Re: UCL DRC Designs: UUV SubmarinePosted: April 20th, 2014, 2:22 am
Based on the description, I'm guessing she's got 4-6 one-shot/reloadable-at-dock tubes.

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: UCL DRC Designs: UUV SubmarinePosted: April 20th, 2014, 7:26 am
Ugly beast, but certainly interesting concept and great work. :)

[Profile] [Quote]
GLACIESFIRE
Post subject: Re: UCL DRC Designs: UUV SubmarinePosted: April 20th, 2014, 10:05 am
Amazing concept!!!

[Profile] [Quote]
apdsmith
Post subject: Re: UCL DRC Designs: UUV SubmarinePosted: April 20th, 2014, 10:53 am
Very interesting concept, though I must confess I'd be tempted to equip the 24-tonne UUVs with those little minehunting drones and then christen her HMS Matryoshka...

[Profile] [Quote]
RP1
Post subject: Re: UCL DRC Designs: UUV SubmarinePosted: April 20th, 2014, 2:14 pm
Thanks guys! One of the options for the UUVs would be to carry smaller MH UUVS :-) It never stops!

The basic design has 6 21 inch external tubes. Carrying any more would be difficult to reload, as they would be too low in the water.

In this study it was a little difficult to get a good metric to compare with a conventional design. The UCAV carrier for 2009 had a far larger number of aimpoints than a cruise missile carrier of the same size, and the OPV from 2013 could cover 40-60% as much ocean area when compared to a conventional ship, but UUVs are more complex, as you need a lot of operational detail to establish measures of merit. The PhD student has been looking at this sort of analysis and investigating various combinations of internal and external UUVs and weapons.

RP1

[Profile] [Quote]
klagldsf
Post subject: Re: UCL DRC Designs: UUV SubmarinePosted: April 20th, 2014, 5:49 pm
eswube wrote:
Ugly beast, but certainly interesting concept and great work. :)
Oh, I've seen far, far uglier UUV carrier concepts.
RP1 wrote:
The PhD student has been looking at this sort of analysis and investigating various combinations of internal and external UUVs and weapons.
It is not necessary to refer to yourself in the third person ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
RP1
Post subject: Re: UCL DRC Designs: UUV SubmarinePosted: April 20th, 2014, 6:05 pm
Quote:
It is not necessary to refer to yourself in the third person
It's not me, I finished my PhD a long time ago (Old woman!) :lol:

It's one of my minions. Wait, I'm not supposed to call them that! :lol:

RP1

[Profile] [Quote]
Lazer_one
Post subject: Re: UCL DRC Designs: UUV SubmarinePosted: April 20th, 2014, 6:19 pm
RP1 wrote:
The structure aft of the sail contains the hydrogen/oxygen plant, which is in a separate module due to concerns about the safety of having so much oxygen stored in the people tank.
It seems a little too small. I saw the equipments for U212 and the cylinders are much larger, with an impressive design (and wall thickness). All cylinders are between the pressurized structure (the people tank) and the hydrodinamic hull.

Lazer_One's Worlist - Updated 2021

Documentation is always welcome here

Lazer_One's Blog

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 3  [ 23 posts ]  Return to “Never-Built Designs” | Go to page 1 2 3 »

Jump to: