Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 42 of 55  [ 549 posts ]  Go to page « 140 41 42 43 4455 »
Trojan
Post subject: Re: Project Cancelled: The Alternative What-If British AircrPosted: March 20th, 2014, 12:06 am
Awesome!

References and feedback is always welcome!

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Project Cancelled: The Alternative What-If British AircrPosted: March 20th, 2014, 9:26 am
@Llamaman
Nice ideas indeed. :)
But are they genuine never-weres or Your own ideas? (I know the Miles M.20 is real, I mean it's maritime versions)
(I thought this thread is rather for aircraft actually planned only not-built and "possible" paint schemes of these, and "own inventions" are rather for AU thread)

[Profile] [Quote]
llamaman
Post subject: Re: Project Cancelled: The Alternative What-If British AircrPosted: March 20th, 2014, 9:41 am
Eswube,
a mix of both really, the M.20 was proposed as an alternative to secondhand Hurricanes for deployment on CAM ships prior to merchant aircraft carriers coming into service. The company even built a second prototype with removable undercarriage, arrestor hook and catapult spurs. In the event the Battle of Britain veteran Hurricane I's were put into service and a significant amount of aluminium and steel (and canvas I suppose) went to the bottom of the Atlantic every time one of them was launched. I've just pushed the idea to a (il)logical conclusion here :-)

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: Project Cancelled: The Alternative What-If British AircrPosted: March 23rd, 2014, 10:35 am
This thread is for real-project aircraft rather than own-design what-ifs, but these do look great and thanks for sharing these.
The M.20 was a fine design and with a retractable undercarriage would have been a very sleek looking aircraft. As you say, this might have been better in some respects than the Seafire, especially for deck-landings etc.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
Dartlynx
Post subject: Re: Project Cancelled: The Alternative What-If British AircrPosted: September 4th, 2014, 9:04 pm
If you like these aircraft you will find models of a few of them....Blackburn B20, Avro 730, TSR2. - and a Vulcan and VC10 to play with - on paper modellers.com. See their downloads section and be grateful to the amazing Gary Pilsworth!!!

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: Project Cancelled: The Alternative What-If British AircrPosted: October 19th, 2014, 3:37 pm
It's been a while since I've posted here...

[ img ]
de Havilland DH.102

de Havilland during early 1942 designed a follow-on 'Super Mosquito' the DH.101 powered by two Napier Sabre engines for a speed of 417mph. It would have had three crew and carried 4,000lb of bombs internally and another 2,000lb externally. Range was 1,450 miles on internal fuel or 1,750 miles with external tanks. No Sabres were available and the fall-back of Griffon 61 engines was not powerful enough. So they switched attentions to the DH.102, slightly smaller (no exact dimensions are known for either except for a 65ft span wing). Using Merlins or Griffons it would be slightly slower than the Mossie and two prototypes were begun but never finished. The Air Staff cancelled the DH.102 on 26 December 1942.
de Havilland had briefly studied a jet-powered version with two Halford H.1 turbojets as well.

Super-Darings

[Profile] [Quote]
Krakatoa
Post subject: Re: Project Cancelled: The Alternative What-If British AircrPosted: October 19th, 2014, 5:56 pm
De Havilland certainly produced aesthetically pleasing designs, the lines and look of the Mosquito through to Hornet were just wonderful.

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Project Cancelled: The Alternative What-If British AircrPosted: October 19th, 2014, 6:10 pm
Sweet! :D

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: Project Cancelled: The Alternative What-If British AircrPosted: November 2nd, 2014, 1:59 pm
[ img ]
de Havilland DH.116 Super Venom
This Venom is shown in the markings of 892 Squadron, FAA, circa 1961 aboard HMS Victorious.

By late 1951, the search for an all-weather fighter for the Royal Navy was dragging on without any success. Following R.E. Bishop's visit to America in the summer of 1951. de Havilland decided to radically overhaul their Sea Venom to meet Staff Requirement NR/A.14, which was written around the Super Venom in March 1952. The brochure for the DH.116 was completed in January 1952. It still resembled the Sea Venom and used much of the same cockpit to save development time. The forward fuselage was designed so a single-seat cockpit could easily be fitted later on. The new swept wings folded just outboard of the intakes and had leading-edge and Fowler flaps. A T-tail was fitted. An advanced AI.17 or APS.21 radar would be fitted and armament was two 30mm ADEN cannon. The engine was the new Rolls-Royce RA.14 Avon with reheat (9,500lb dry, 14,000lb reheat).There was 562gal of internal fuel plus two 100gal drop tanks could be carried. Estimated rate of climb was 9,000ft/min on dry thrust and 29,000ft/min with reheat, time to 45,000ft was 4.1 min, operational ceiling was 51,500ft, max speed at sea level (dry thrust) was 698mph (Mach 0.92) or 740mph (Mach 0.975) on full reheat. At 30,000ft max speed was 685mph (Mach 1.02). Bishop argued the Super Venom would not become obsolete due to performance and could operate from all Fleet and Light Carriers.
Two prototypes were ordered but soon after de Havilland admitted they lacked the design staff capacity and they re-offered the navalised DH.110, now modified, which became the Sea Vixen.

Ever since first reading Tony Buttler's 'British Secret Projects: Fighters Since 1950' I've always wanted to draw the DH.116. not especially because its a world-beater, but because it just looks so sleek and 1950s.

I've also updated the Vickers V.1000 here: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=1510&p=93348#p93348

Super-Darings

[Profile] [Quote]
pegasus206
Post subject: Re: Project Cancelled: The Alternative What-If British AircrPosted: November 2nd, 2014, 5:56 pm
Realy nice work Hood :D :D

Best Regards,
Aart.

Projects:

The Kingdom of Rochfort in FD

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 42 of 55  [ 549 posts ]  Return to “FD Scale Drawings” | Go to page « 140 41 42 43 4455 »

Jump to: