Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 5 of 8  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page « 13 4 5 6 7 8 »
eswube
Post subject: Re: The Northampton-Class Heavy Cruisers Reworked.Posted: October 31st, 2014, 7:59 pm
Sorry to hear bad news Bezo. I wish all will be fine soon!

[Profile] [Quote]
maomatic
Post subject: Re: The Northampton-Class Heavy Cruisers Reworked.Posted: November 1st, 2014, 12:35 pm
Indeed, sorry to hear the situation. I hope all will turn out fine, bezo!

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: The Northampton-Class Heavy Cruisers Reworked.Posted: December 1st, 2014, 10:02 pm
Finally got time to post the thoroughly reworked Chicago, Houston and Augusta. (p.1)

I've carefully studied pictorial evidence to shape as correctly as possible the underwater hulls of these ships, and I hope even my dear friend Jan will acknowledge that.
Anyway, since my son, Eli will finally come home from the hospital, this might very well be the last ships that I post for a while!

[Profile] [Quote]
emperor_andreas
Post subject: Re: The Northampton-Class Heavy Cruisers Reworked.Posted: December 1st, 2014, 10:44 pm
VERY nice work!

The Official IJN Ships & Planes List

#FJB

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: The Northampton-Class Heavy Cruisers Reworked.Posted: December 1st, 2014, 11:30 pm
bezobrazov wrote:
Finally got time to post the thoroughly reworked Chicago, Houston and Augusta. (p.1)

I've carefully studied pictorial evidence to shape as correctly as possible the underwater hulls of these ships, and I hope even my dear friend Jan will acknowledge that.
Anyway, since my son, Eli will finally come home from the hospital, this might very well be the last ships that I post for a while!
sorry to say, but I have no idea what you are trying to represent. I included some cross sections in this drawing with how I interpreted them and why. I think I interpreted it differently then how you drew it, or you misunderstood the shading setup I work with, as I really doubt this hull shape comes close to what the ship was like in real life. could you explain to me with what set of rules you shaded?

[ img ]

a few comments that could improve the shading IMO, but, based on my own shading standards:
- limit the number of shades. one base colour, one highlight colour (rarely used but on bilge keels, bulbs and tumblehome), 2 dark shades, of which one is the 'hull shaper' and the other the 'shade' under bilge keels, on the rudder etc.
- limit the shading styles used at the same time. shading over the rudder and under the bilge keels looks like there is a blob in those spaces because it interferes with the 'hull shaper' shading.
- sublety is art. I try to give my ships shape without overshadowing the actual ship (the bright red of the underwater hull does that more then enough) for example, https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/632 ... 201947.png. on yours, in my opinion, I start looking at the underwater hull, and then want to close the page 'because the rest looks bland and uninteresting' while you put far more work into the upperworks then the hull, I think.
- match hull underwater and above the water. shapes often run higher up, like overhanging sterns or bows with flare. however, there are some shading lines suddenly stopping at the waterline on your drawing, further mismatching the two parts of the ship.

I hope you can get some use from these comments.

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: The Northampton-Class Heavy Cruisers Reworked.Posted: February 13th, 2017, 6:59 pm
Ok, so I have resurrect this thread, by thoroughly overhauling existing drawings of the Chicago, Houston and Augusta and adding the Chester on the first page. Am working (slowly) to get the two remaining units, Northampton (CA-26) and Louisville (CA-28) done as well. Further I plan to do the ships up till 1941/42 period. I am not particularly fond of their later appearances, so please ask me not to draw those. (Maybe Ian, with his keen interest in the WW2 versions might do them?)

[Profile] [Quote]
emperor_andreas
Post subject: Re: The Northampton-Class Heavy Cruisers Reworked.Posted: February 13th, 2017, 7:36 pm
VERY nice work!

#FJB

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: The Northampton-Class Heavy Cruisers Reworked.Posted: February 15th, 2017, 9:20 pm
Added the USS Northampton as of 1936/37. Louisville CA-28 still to come...

[Profile] [Quote]
emperor_andreas
Post subject: Re: The Northampton-Class Heavy Cruisers Reworked.Posted: February 15th, 2017, 10:49 pm
Awesome job on Northampton! Are you planning to do the other heavy cruiser classes the same way, by any chance?

#FJB

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: The Northampton-Class Heavy Cruisers Reworked.Posted: February 16th, 2017, 12:01 am
No, and this is why: Colo already has rendered the Brooklyns, Baltimores and Oregon City-classes to a standard that is unsurpassed. WhyMe (I think) did the San Francisco-class. Only thing there, might be a recoloring and shading of her boot topping. Karle94 drew the Pensacola-class (a few tweaks, and that'd be an awesome drawing!), and, finally, the Wichita has been drawn, either by WhyMe or Colo (sorry if my memory fails me here) - a terrific drawing! Only one remaining would be the Indianapolis as built and/or 1934-version, since that ship has been rendered in her wartime guise, by, I believe Karle94 (again, a few tweaks...) - These are the "heavies"...I'm not that interested in drawing the light cruisers, so they're up for grabs - the ones still remaining un-drawn, which I think are a scant few...

Hope this answer your question!

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 5 of 8  [ 76 posts ]  Return to “Real Designs” | Go to page « 13 4 5 6 7 8 »

Jump to: