Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 6 of 10  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page « 14 5 6 7 810 »
apdsmith
Post subject: Re: Lothringen, Southern SuperpowerPosted: May 14th, 2015, 12:54 pm
Hi Oberst,

That's a nice looking ship, but I do have a couple of comment regarding the secondary battery - it looks like you're using the same sort of calibre as the Dante Alighieri, however, this battleship carried 20 of these as secondary armament as compared to your 6, I think - I'd be worried about this ship struggling to protect itself from torpedo boats.

I'd also be concerned about crewing the majority of those weapons during an engagement - the aft four guns, I suspect, will experience significant gun blast when the main armament fires. That could be a plausible flaw - I think Dreadnought herself shipped with a few lighter guns on turret tops that were removed due to blast issues quite early on - but adding in the twin turrets that are on the Dante Alighieri would neatly solve both the possibly-light secondary battery and the blast issues in one stroke.

Regards,
Adam

[Profile] [Quote]
OberstAmiruddin
Post subject: Re: Lothringen, Southern SuperpowerPosted: May 14th, 2015, 1:14 pm
I will edit the ship

Last edited by OberstAmiruddin on May 14th, 2015, 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
OberstAmiruddin
Post subject: Re: Lothringen, Southern SuperpowerPosted: May 14th, 2015, 1:59 pm
acelanceloet wrote:
looks not too bad!
only 5 remarks:
- just 2 propeller shafts? I would expect 3 or 4
- the armoured belt looks very elaborate but does cover area's that do not need armour that much (such as forward of the A turret)
- you have the turbine room aft or do you have it between the funnels, as in the dante alighieri?
- why does this ship have a slightly higher top speed then the dante while, on first glance, it's speed potential is lower?
- the forward superstructure looks, to me, slightly too modern for 1911 :P
Thanks I will edit the ship

[Profile] [Quote]
OberstAmiruddin
Post subject: Re: Lothringen, Southern SuperpowerPosted: May 15th, 2015, 12:38 am
This is the redone Stahl class battleship
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
OberstAmiruddin
Post subject: Re: Lothringen, Southern SuperpowerPosted: June 5th, 2015, 11:30 pm
Kaliber of Lothringenese Federal Navy
This is the next class of battleships to serve the Lothringenese Navy. This class was the Kaliber class. This class was influenced by the Kongo class battlecruiser. This battleship class has main battery made of fifteen 12 inch guns with a secondary battery comprising of eight five inch guns. It is protected by a belt armour of 12 inches, deck armour of 3 inches, turret armour of 11 and a half inches. This class of battleship had a top speed of 22 knots thanks to her four shaft steam turbines and 18 boilers producing 30000 hp or 22370 kW. Five of these battleships were built. Four of the class didn't survived the Washington Naval Treaty and were sunk as gunnery target or scrapped. The sole survivor, LFS Einfallsreichtum was turned into a museum ship in 1922.
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
eltf177
Post subject: Re: Lothringen, Southern SuperpowerPosted: June 6th, 2015, 10:33 am
Kaliber is quite a looker. Is the center turret on the centerline or it and the raised one aft on the beams?

[Profile] [Quote]
ezgo394
Post subject: Re: Lothringen, Southern SuperpowerPosted: June 6th, 2015, 8:20 pm
On the Kaliber, it doesn't really make sense to me why you continued the level of the quarterdeck almost all the way to the bow, unless you were going to add casemates, which you didn't in this case. At least, that's just what the black line shows.

I am not very active on the forums anymore, but work is still being done on my AUs. Visit the Salidan Altiverse Page on the SB Wiki for more information. All current work is being done on Google Docs.
If anyone wishes for their nations to interact with the countries of the Salidan Altiverse, please send me a PM, after which we can further discuss through email.

[Profile] [Quote]
OberstAmiruddin
Post subject: Re: Lothringen, Southern SuperpowerPosted: June 7th, 2015, 2:52 am
eltf177 wrote:
Kaliber is quite a looker. Is the center turret on the centerline or it and the raised one aft on the beams?
The turrets are in centerline, the crane doesn't get in the way
ezgo394 wrote:
On the Kaliber, it doesn't really make sense to me why you continued the level of the quarterdeck almost all the way to the bow, unless you were going to add casemates, which you didn't in this case. At least, that's just what the black line shows.
The reason for this is that there supposed to be small caliber gun mounts on the quarterdeck however the planned guns were cancelled so the decks were left bare.

[Profile] [Quote]
OberstAmiruddin
Post subject: Re: Lothringen, Southern SuperpowerPosted: June 8th, 2015, 9:54 am
Tapferkeit class, the first super battleships of the Lothringenese Federal Navy
The Lothringenese Federal Navy after getting their Kaliber class battleships, received their next set of battleships of the Tapferkeit class battleships and the Lothringenese had ten of these giants. These battleships like the Kaliber class battleships were influenced by a Japanese design, this time it was it was the Fuso class battleships. These ships had a main battery of twelve 14 inch guns and sixteen 5 inch guns. Thought originally planned for six three gun 14 inch turrets which meant that Tapferkeit would have been armed with eighteen 12 inch guns but it was decided against it as it would be too heavy and there would not enough space for the rounds. The battleships are protected by 12 inches of belt armour, 2.5 inches of deck armour and 11.5 inches of turret armour. The class had a top speed of 25 knots due to the 74500hp or 55500kW produced by the 10 boilers and 4 steam turbines. The battleships were commissioned in two sets, first five in 1915 and second five in 1916. They continued to serve in 1945 with all but two scrapped. the remainder LFS Beschwingt and LFS Unbesiegbar were turned into museum ships. Also the Lothringenese Federal Navy decided to switch all anti-fouling paint colour from red to green as the Lothringenese Federal Navy were switched suppliers for anti-fouling paint.
[ img ]

Last edited by OberstAmiruddin on June 11th, 2015, 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
OberstAmiruddin
Post subject: Re: Lothringen, Southern SuperpowerPosted: June 11th, 2015, 8:31 am
Stärke class battleship
The Lothringenese Federal Navy continued to produce battleships and their next class of battleships was the Stärke class battleships. This class of battleship returned to the four turret layout rather than the six turret layout. This class was armed with eight fifteen inch gun turrets. They also had a secondary battery consisting of ten open mount five inch guns. The class is also protected by 15 inches of belt armour, 3 inches of deck armour and 14 inches of turret armour. It has a top speed of 21 knots thanks to it's four shaft powered by four steam turbines and 24 boilers producing 75 000 shp or 56 000 kW. It is manned by a crew of 965 sailors. Only LS Stärke remains to this day as a museum ship.
[ img ]

Last edited by OberstAmiruddin on June 11th, 2015, 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 6 of 10  [ 96 posts ]  Return to “Alternate Universe Designs” | Go to page « 14 5 6 7 810 »

Jump to: