Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 38 of 56  [ 554 posts ]  Go to page « 136 37 38 39 4056 »
Hood
Post subject: Re: Commonwealth of RecherchePosted: August 25th, 2015, 7:55 am
I love this for so many reasons!
It has the AU single-rail Sea Dart, the soviet-style SSM layout is so well thought out yet doesn't detract from the Western looks, looks very capable too with a nice mix of weapons and sensors. Looks vaguely Type 22-ish (even a bit like the never-built Type 25) and Perry-ish but has its own style.

One minor personal nitpick, I would be tempted to move the Type 970 jammer (the big box on the foremast) lower down as I think its a weighty bit of kit and you've lots of weight up top.
The separate fire-control for Sea Dart and Sea Wolf is unavoidable unfortunately, but you've done a good job of fitting everything in with good arcs.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
adenandy
Post subject: Re: Commonwealth of RecherchePosted: August 25th, 2015, 8:03 am
eswube wrote:
Good looking design.
I'd say that some elements (esp. the bridge + armament around it) resembles a bit some Soviet designs (like Pr.956 and Pr.1155) ;)
Hood wrote:
I love this for so many reasons!
It has the AU single-rail Sea Dart, the soviet-style SSM layout is so well thought out yet doesn't detract from the Western looks, looks very capable too with a nice mix of weapons and sensors. Looks vaguely Type 22-ish (even a bit like the never-built Type 25) and Perry-ish but has its own style.... The separate fire-control for Sea Dart and Sea Wolf is unavoidable unfortunately, but you've done a good job of fitting everything in with good arcs.
I Completely concur with Eswube and Hood.

Beautiful drawing Rowdy. Well Done matey :!: :D

[Profile] [Quote]
odysseus1980
Post subject: Re: Commonwealth of RecherchePosted: August 25th, 2015, 8:24 am
Exactly that weapon position under bridge I thought for an ASW missile used by my AU in a cruiser, like Modgrain Class. I am not sure yet.

Last edited by odysseus1980 on August 25th, 2015, 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
Judah14
Post subject: Re: Commonwealth of RecherchePosted: August 25th, 2015, 9:20 am
Nice work!

[Profile] [Quote]
Blackbuck
Post subject: Re: Commonwealth of RecherchePosted: August 25th, 2015, 10:08 am
Neat! These are right up my alley both aesthetically and functionally speaking.

[Profile] [Quote]
Rowdy36
Post subject: Re: Commonwealth of RecherchePosted: August 25th, 2015, 3:19 pm
Thanks everyone! And yes there was a bit of Soviet design influence sneaking in...
Hood wrote:
One minor personal nitpick, I would be tempted to move the Type 970 jammer (the big box on the foremast) lower down as I think its a weighty bit of kit and you've lots of weight up top.
Dropped it down a bit.

[Profile] [Quote]
Kilomuse
Post subject: Re: Commonwealth of RecherchePosted: August 25th, 2015, 6:23 pm
Beautiful destroyer, Rowdy. She has very nice lines and packs a mean punch as well.

[Profile] [Quote]
Novice
Post subject: Re: Commonwealth of RecherchePosted: August 25th, 2015, 8:58 pm
I will join the accolade, but for one minor nit-pick, as I don't see any anti-ship weapon on board. The large cruise missiles are for land attack (or so I believe) while the other missiles are anti-air or anti-submarine. Maybe you can find a place for some medium/small calibre gun (say a 3").
Other than that a wonderful, real, looking ship.

"Never fear to try on something new. Remember that the Titanic was built by professionals, and the Ark by an amateur"

[Profile] [Quote]
Rowdy36
Post subject: Re: Commonwealth of RecherchePosted: August 28th, 2015, 6:10 am
Thanks guys.
Novice wrote:
I don't see any anti-ship weapon on board. The large cruise missiles are for land attack (or so I believe) while the other missiles are anti-air or anti-submarine. Maybe you can find a place for some medium/small calibre gun (say a 3").
I left off a gun of some kind to prevent it being too big/overloaded plus with its original design role of open ocean ASW, surface-surface action was considered to be a very minor role. You're correct about the cruise missiles being primarily land attack but I'm toying with the idea of an anti-ship variant that would be useful if a little overkill for most targets and I figured Sea Dart could be used in an anti-ship role if necessary. The last 3 ships of the class will be replacing the Sea Dart launcher with a 4.5in gun probably in the mid/late 1990s and fitting Sea Eagle AShMs at a similar point is a possibility also.

[Profile] [Quote]
Erusia Force
Post subject: Re: Commonwealth of RecherchePosted: August 28th, 2015, 6:36 am
Good work Rowdy, as the others have said! I like where you have taken this thread. ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 38 of 56  [ 554 posts ]  Return to “Alternate Universe Designs” | Go to page « 136 37 38 39 4056 »

Jump to: