Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 3 of 5  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5 »
Blackbuck
Post subject: Re: The Maritime UnionPosted: November 14th, 2015, 9:28 pm
Sniped by ace!

Primarily it's parts and shading (I think). Pretty much all the weapon and sensor systems are out-dated parts. If you check http://www.shipbucket.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=23 or http://www.shipbucket.com/forums/viewto ... =16&t=2755 for the newest parts.

[Profile] [Quote]
tsd715
Post subject: Re: The Maritime UnionPosted: November 14th, 2015, 9:30 pm
acelanceloet wrote:
well the first thing to bring her up to spec would be an underwater hull, but that is only if you feel you are up to drawing (or finding) an accurate one. next step would be to check if the style of drawing corners matches (for example, on the fore mast and bridge some corners are black, on the aft mast and funnel angles which are quite similar are grey. check if the shading style matches on the entire drawing (forward light and aft facing surfaces darker, for example) and of course the parts :P
Thank you! :D

[Profile] [Quote]
tsd715
Post subject: Re: The Maritime UnionPosted: November 15th, 2015, 5:01 pm
Is this much better? I've replaced some parts, updated the shading, and done a lot of improvement in the bridge area.
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: The Maritime UnionPosted: November 15th, 2015, 5:18 pm
IIRC, there are new parts for the RAM launcher, Herakles, SMART-L, harpoon launcher..... and I think you copied the wrong side of the gun :P (it is not entirely symmentrical)
the shading looks good now, but you should check the corners in the mast, the gun platform and at the back of the forward superstructure

[Profile] [Quote]
Chris Roach
Post subject: Re: The Maritime UnionPosted: November 15th, 2015, 5:43 pm
tsd715 wrote:
So here is the backbone of the Maritime Navy, the Dauntless-class frigate:
One issue I see is that you've got your light forces using US type missile systems (ESSM), but your blue water forces using European systems (ASTER). While it's certainly possible for a nation to use both it introduces logistical complications, so outside specific cases is avoided.

Those specific cases?
While transitioning from one generation of systems to the next (e.g. Italy or France as the first ASTER equipped ships came into service... but ESSM and ASTER are the same generation...)
For internal political reasons (two services treading on each others toes)
For external political reasons (e.g. Finland's Cold War era purchasing policy)
For security of supply (so you don't get crippled by one nation cutting you off e.g. Israel before they got the yanks firmly on side)
Because you picked up a bunch of cheap second-hand warships (e.g. the Chilean Navy... Barak, Sea Sparrow, Standard I and Sea Wolf!)

So, there's nothing wrong with it, but you probably should include some justification in the history/politics posts (e.g. ill-will between the Coast Guard and Navy; the Corvette's ESSM isn't really ESSM but a new home-built missile which looks similar; etc.).

Also, on the Corvette/Cutter... particularly in the Cutter role I'd be strongly tempted to swap the Phalanx CIWS out for a 57mm instead. With appropriate ammo it's just as good or possible better in the CIWS role, and it's longer range make it more suitable for popping warning shots across the bows of stray fishing vessels.

[Profile] [Quote]
tsd715
Post subject: Re: The Maritime UnionPosted: November 17th, 2015, 1:05 am
Here is the latest version of the Dauntless-class frigate. A huge thanks to Blackbuck who took time out of his day to draw a new version of my ship to help me out. I have incorporated much of his design, especially the parts and the small details, into my own. I'll post his design below mine.
Dauntless-class frigate:
[ img ]

Blackbuck's rendition:
[ img ]

Last edited by tsd715 on November 20th, 2015, 2:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
odysseus1980
Post subject: Re: The Maritime UnionPosted: November 17th, 2015, 2:32 am
Both are nice, their lines give me inspiration for the new frigate for my own AU.

[Profile] [Quote]
tsd715
Post subject: Re: The Maritime UnionPosted: November 17th, 2015, 2:55 am
odysseus1980 wrote:
Both are nice, their lines give me inspiration for the new frigate for my own AU.
Thanks Odysseus. Can't wait to see it.

[Profile] [Quote]
odysseus1980
Post subject: Re: The Maritime UnionPosted: November 17th, 2015, 3:14 am
To imagine what I have in mind, she will have smaller hangar and different armament.

[Profile] [Quote]
tsd715
Post subject: Re: The Maritime UnionPosted: November 17th, 2015, 3:16 am
odysseus1980 wrote:
To imagine what I have in mind, she will have smaller hangar and different armament.
Sounds interesting. Remind of the name of your AU? Or have you not posted it yet?

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 3 of 5  [ 41 posts ]  Return to “Alternate Universe Designs” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5 »

Jump to: