Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 2 of 4  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 »
odysseus1980
Post subject: Re: Soviet/Russian Naval Tactical Surface-to-Surface MissilePosted: December 29th, 2015, 7:43 pm
Last version seem ok to me.

[Profile] [Quote]
citizen lambda
Post subject: Re: Soviet/Russian Naval Tactical Surface-to-Surface MissilePosted: March 7th, 2016, 4:31 pm
No, that wasn't useless work, it needed to be redone and harmonized.
You want useless, you should see the same missiles I have re-drawn in the same period before noticing someone was already on it...

Jokes aside, are the original images by wkstl still up somewhere? They don't seem to show anymore.

If anyone is still interested (or working on it already), I also have some Chinese AShMs re-drawn and am working on the rest.

[Profile] [Quote]
wkstl
Post subject: Re: Soviet/Russian Naval Tactical Surface-to-Surface MissilePosted: March 12th, 2016, 10:22 am
citizen lambda wrote:
No, that wasn't useless work, it needed to be redone and harmonized.
You want useless, you should see the same missiles I have re-drawn in the same period before noticing someone was already on it...

Jokes aside, are the original images by wkstl still up somewhere? They don't seem to show anymore.

If anyone is still interested (or working on it already), I also have some Chinese AShMs re-drawn and am working on the rest.
Chinese are here:http://www.shipbucket.com/forums/viewto ... =16&t=6420

[Profile] [Quote]
citizen lambda
Post subject: Re: Soviet/Russian Naval Tactical Surface-to-Surface MissilePosted: March 12th, 2016, 3:42 pm
wkstl wrote:
Thanks for the tip. The images still don't show up in either thread though. I assume that they work OK on your end?

Anyways, since I can't see your versions, I'll post some of what I have, maybe it won't be completely wasted after all :)

Here are the Chelomei (NPOMash) AShMs by order of date. All missiles are shown to a common scale of 8.5px/m, and both in stored and in-flight conditions.
I'd appreciate your (and anyone's) opinion on these, particularly regarding scale and detail level.
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Gollevainen
Post subject: Re: Soviet/Russian Naval Tactical Surface-to-Surface MissilePosted: March 12th, 2016, 4:11 pm
they look very nice thought, I would tone down the shading to commondate more of Shipbucket style shading

[Profile] [Quote]
citizen lambda
Post subject: Re: Soviet/Russian Naval Tactical Surface-to-Surface MissilePosted: March 12th, 2016, 5:17 pm
Hi Gollevainen, thanks for the comment!
By shading, I assume you mean the rounding effect of the cylindrical parts?
This is based on the stock versions (particularly the Granit) with added single lines (light on top and dark on bottom) based on an earlier discussion on adding relief to cylinder shapes. I feel that bigger missiles like those look flat without it.
I will revert these to the original shading, see how it looks like.

[Profile] [Quote]
Gollevainen
Post subject: Re: Soviet/Russian Naval Tactical Surface-to-Surface MissilePosted: March 12th, 2016, 5:22 pm
well typical shipbucket shading of round objects is either with three two shades (darker line in the bottom, ligther in the up) or entirely just single lighter shade line in the 1/3 from the height (or witdh when you draw vertical object)
The granit looks actually "acceptable" but the thinner grey painted missiles now looks like they are gradiently shaded

[Profile] [Quote]
citizen lambda
Post subject: Re: Soviet/Russian Naval Tactical Surface-to-Surface MissilePosted: March 12th, 2016, 6:20 pm
Gollevainen wrote:
well typical shipbucket shading of round objects is either with three two shades (darker line in the bottom, ligther in the up) or entirely just single lighter shade line in the 1/3 from the height (or witdh when you draw vertical object)
The granit looks actually "acceptable" but the thinner grey painted missiles now looks like they are gradiently shaded
OK, I think I get it. The Malakhit is really close to gradient shading, I'll admit that, even though it started as a compression of something similar to the Granit before I re-colored it to a darker grey. The P-5 and family started out closer to a gradient, I guess I went overboard on those.

Here is a side-by-side of the original with a version where I have:
- removed all extraneous shadows
- changed the cylinder shading to 3 tones
- reduced the contrast on the extreme lines
[ img ]

The P-5 family with their big intakes look woefully flat IMO, so I guess I'll have to put something more aggressively dark in that area.
For the Malakhit and Ametist, please consider that these have a ventral gondola/cable duct that appears as a much darker line but is technically not part of the missile body.

[Profile] [Quote]
Gollevainen
Post subject: Re: Soviet/Russian Naval Tactical Surface-to-Surface MissilePosted: March 12th, 2016, 6:30 pm
yea they look now lot better

[Profile] [Quote]
citizen lambda
Post subject: Re: Soviet/Russian Naval Tactical Surface-to-Surface MissilePosted: March 13th, 2016, 10:03 pm
I think I've reached a compromise between amount of different shades and visible relief.
Here is the same series with no more than 3 colors on cylindrical shapes.
[ img ]

On a related topic, here are the Soviet and Russian anti-submarine missiles using the same scale and colors:
[ img ]
All missiles also shown before launch and during flight where applicable, plus in post-launch configuration for the 91RT2.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 2 of 4  [ 32 posts ]  Return to “Parts Sheets Discussion” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 »

Jump to: