Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 10 of 10  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page « 16 7 8 9 10
Syzmo
Post subject: Re: The Yorktown Class: USN Pre-war CarriersPosted: May 2nd, 2016, 10:17 pm
These are great. Where did you get your armament layout for Yorktown '42? I have long wondered what her loadout was at Midway but never found solid information.

"All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity, but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." Thomas Edward Lawrence, The Seven Pillars of Wisdom

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: The Yorktown Class: USN Pre-war CarriersPosted: May 2nd, 2016, 10:46 pm
It looks like you've got a weather station thing interfering with your CXAM radar on the last drawing - probably just a cut and paste error.

[Profile] [Quote]
Charybdis
Post subject: Re: The Yorktown Class: USN Pre-war CarriersPosted: May 3rd, 2016, 12:38 am
Quote:
Where did you get your armament layout for Yorktown '42?
Calling all CV-5 Yorktown fans on the modelshipforum. Those guys know their stuff.
Quote:
It looks like you've got a weather station thing interfering with your CXAM radar
Yeah, noticed a few sloppy errors...

I've no idea about the placement of the SA set. Looks like it's at the first uptake, judging from this photo, but I can't be sure.
[ img ]

I've started to add some of the aircraft.
[ img ]

Thanks for the heads up on the electronics.

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: The Yorktown Class: USN Pre-war CarriersPosted: May 11th, 2016, 5:28 pm
Sorry I never responded (not sure why I overlooked this).

I think your positioning is probably about as "close enough" as we can get given the lack of official plans showing this minor upgrade (done during a time when fighting the Japs was paramount and documenting the location of radars was not...) Is it visible on the plan view? I don't see it there but maybe I'm blind. I would also color the supports of the CXAM to match the 5-N navy blue of the rest of the ship.

The only other minor suggestion I can make would be to change the formatting of the title to reflect the USN ship standard I've come up with for vessels with a camouflage scheme depicted and a date:

USA, Yorktown Class
USS Enterprise CV-6 (June 1942) - Measure 12 (modified)

[Profile] [Quote]
Charybdis
Post subject: Re: The Yorktown Class: USN Pre-war CarriersPosted: May 11th, 2016, 6:25 pm
Quote:
Is it visible on the plan view?
No, it's on the profile just as a place holder until I get more information.

I'll change the titles to the standard.

I've just found an amazing website with high resolution photos so I'm busy updating all of the Yorktown class drawings.

I'm sure you guys already know about this but ...

http://www.history.navy.mil/our-collect ... ships.html

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: The Yorktown Class: USN Pre-war CarriersPosted: May 11th, 2016, 7:06 pm
I've never seen those, seems similar to the stuff on the Naval Historical Center website though. Most of that has been cross-posted to NavSource (usually).

I wonder too if it would be possible to add some shading to the bow to show the curvature of it. I used to not really like this effect, but it grew on me a lot recently.

I *still* need to get my ass in gear and figure out the Mk.33 directors... back to you shortly on that!

[Profile] [Quote]
Charybdis
Post subject: Re: The Yorktown Class: USN Pre-war CarriersPosted: May 11th, 2016, 10:32 pm
Most of the photos I have seen before but instead of the 190kb files from Navsource, I now have the same pictures in 30mb files which opens up a whole new world of detail. The area on the main deck just forward of the island was a mystery to me but now it's much clearer, thanks to that website (and the guys on the ship model forum).

With regards to the hull shading, I would like to incorporate that into the drawings at some stage. My previous experiments came out pretty shabby so l've left it for now.

[Profile] [Quote]
Spike
Post subject: Re: The Yorktown Class: USN Pre-war CarriersPosted: May 30th, 2016, 2:05 pm
Quote:
I've no idea about the placement of the SA set. Looks like it's at the first uptake, judging from this photo, but I can't be sure.
Charybdis, I believe that the radar is mounted on the starboard fore edge of the funnel. Looking at this photo (assuming the link works) http://www.history.navy.mil/our-collect ... 21931.html you can see that the radar antenna is mounted far forward on the funnel, probably directly opposite of what I am assuming is the ship's foghorn (or a very large loudspeaker).

In this photo (again assuming the link works), http://www.history.navy.mil/our-collect ... 12018.html the antenna is visible in front of the smoke which is coming out of the foremost uptake.

Combined with the drydock photo of yours, I think the radar supports may be mounted on the forward and starboard edges of the funnel.

I hope this helps a little bit.

[Profile] [Quote]
Charybdis
Post subject: Re: The Yorktown Class: USN Pre-war CarriersPosted: June 9th, 2016, 11:13 am
Thanks for your input. I agree with your conclusion. The way that the radar is mounted is difficult to gauge. It's not a simple pole attached to the funnel but rather on some kind of gantry.

I've just bought a copy of Cressman's That Gallant Ship and there are a couple of pictures I haven't seen before as well a a detailed account of the ships service. I'll be updating the drawings in due course.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 10 of 10  [ 99 posts ]  Return to “Real Designs” | Go to page « 16 7 8 9 10

Jump to: