Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 2 of 4  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 »
signal
Post subject: Re: King George V class battleshipsPosted: September 18th, 2016, 10:35 pm
Well done.

[Profile] [Quote]
Jackie Treehorn
Post subject: Re: King George V class battleshipsPosted: September 19th, 2016, 6:09 am
Perfect drawings. Seems now the RN get a boost. Nice to see. Maybe next year we can also have a Thread about all the RN ships in Jutland (Skagerrak).

[Profile] [Quote]
emperor_andreas
Post subject: Re: King George V class battleshipsPosted: September 19th, 2016, 3:06 pm
Very nice work!

The Official IJN Ships & Planes List

#FJB

[Profile] [Quote]
reytuerto
Post subject: Re: King George V class battleshipsPosted: September 19th, 2016, 4:59 pm
Nice ships, your KGV battleships are nicely drawn! And in that dark gray they look very intimidating!

[Profile] [Quote]
Garlicdesign
Post subject: Re: King George V class battleshipsPosted: September 19th, 2016, 6:56 pm
Hi again!

Altered the forward spotting tops and directors a little, courtesy to Krakatoa's feedback

And here's KGV as she looked when she visited Kiel a few weeks before the war started, still in dark gray, but with her director fitted and her foremast stiffened by a flange which was unique to her.

[ img ]

As soon as someone tells me if the masts were shortened and the torpedo nets landed before or after Jutland, the Jutland fit of the remaining units of the class will follow. Maybe a matter for Smurf, who usually knows everything about the RN.

Greetings
GD

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: King George V class battleshipsPosted: September 19th, 2016, 9:22 pm
Fabulous drawings! :D

[Profile] [Quote]
Krakatoa
Post subject: Re: King George V class battleshipsPosted: September 19th, 2016, 11:40 pm
I have had a look through all my books and photos, and I can not find a photo of any of the KGV class ships 'reliably' dated 1916/Jutland that shows yes/no to torpedo nets.

All of the ships I did find photos of at the battle of Jutland, Warspite, Lion, Iron Duke, Agincourt and other BB's, none have torpedo nets fitted.

Photos show torpedo nets up to July 1915, latest photo I can find is of Erin at that date. From Wiki "The sinking by torpedo of three Allied battleships during the 1915 Dardanelles Campaign, all with torpedo nets deployed, demonstrated that the increased speed of newer torpedoes and the tactic of firing several torpedoes at the same location on the target had made the torpedo net ineffective." I take from that, that the torpedo nets were removed from all BB's from the end of 1915 through early 1916.

[Profile] [Quote]
mortarigus
Post subject: Re: King George V class battleshipsPosted: September 20th, 2016, 11:03 am
Brilliant work GD!
In 1914-15 the KGV class had 3 inch AA guns installed on the Quarterdecks.
In 1915-16 the torpedo nets were removed. Searchlights on Aft superstructure remounted on platforms around the Aft funnel.
In 1916-17 A rangefinder was added above the conning tower (This item is on the RN weapons part sheet and can be discerned by the date.)
4 inch guns were removed from the aft superstructure, an additional 3 in gun added there (I think with it's own rangefinder). The magazine protection was improved after Jutland. Rangefinder baffles were fitted to to topmasts and and also to the funnels in Ajax.
In 1917-18 The control tops were enlarged, range clocks mounted on top of them and deflection scale painted on (I think A and X turrets).
The stern torpedo tubes were removed and 'coffee box' searchight towers replaced the platforms around the Aft Funnel. The rangefinder baffles were removed. During 1918 flying-off platforms were added to B and X turrets of Centurion and Q turret of KGV.
Source: British BATTLESHIPS 1914-18 (2) New Vanguard Osprey. Hope this helps.

[Profile] [Quote]
smurf
Post subject: Re: King George V class battleshipsPosted: September 21st, 2016, 10:07 am
You've got competition!
https://www.amazon.co.uk/British-Warshi ... 75D30ZGYWY

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: King George V class battleshipsPosted: September 21st, 2016, 11:22 am
Hmmm...I don't know about that. Granted that the preview images are rather small, but they don't look as if reaching even close to GD:s artistic perfection. - Now, that raises the question, a very pertinent question at that!: why the heck is GD not publishing HIS drawings?!? Heck, quite frankly, why are we as SB-community not doing that? The profits could go to maintaining and improving the site! (I know, fair share policy etc, etc....just my measly five cents though...)

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 2 of 4  [ 39 posts ]  Return to “Real Designs” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 »

Jump to: