Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ] 
Valdiu
Post subject: Ships of the Republic of ValdiuPosted: January 4th, 2017, 7:27 am
Hello!

This thread regards the modern navy of the Republic of Valdiu, a temperate Atlantic nation about the size of Ireland and in the middle of the Atlantic ocean roughly on latitude with the Azores.

I'll regale you all with history and other minor tangents when it's not 11:23 PM on a school night; let me get down to brass tacks here and talk about ships.

I have several ships planned to draw: a large LHA, an OPV based off of the Icelandic Thor-class, a frigate that's essentially a modern Perry equivalent, and more. The only one I have complete as of now is the Merit-class destroyer, which is a multirole/AAW destroyer designed to operate in pairs or independently.

[ img ]

I migrated templates as I decided to lengthen the ship to make the helipad more spacious; it uses MikoshiK's Burke-class lower hull with permission. The black bar is the stack and the door on the freeboard is a boat launch.

This may look atrocious to some of you and you may be able to point out numerous flaws with a single cursory glance. I implore you - rip into me. Tell me everything that's wrong, why that's wrong, and how to fix it, and I will. I strive for accuracy and would like to cover all my bases. Just be polite, please. :)

Thank you!

[Profile] [Quote]
JSB
Post subject: Re: Ships of the Republic of ValdiuPosted: January 4th, 2017, 5:27 pm
Valdiu wrote:
Hello!
This may look atrocious to some of you and you may be able to point out numerous flaws with a single cursory glance. I implore you - rip into me. Tell me everything that's wrong, why that's wrong, and how to fix it, and I will. I strive for accuracy and would like to cover all my bases. Just be polite, please. :)

Thank you!
Hi and welcome,
as to your ship,

Looks big with lots of redundant systems do you really need that many 1/2 systems will save a lot.
- Why 4 phalanx guns? cant think of any destroyer with more than 2.
- Why the bow and stern thrusters, I think they will be to nosy for the sonar near them.
- The low side hatch is very low it will flood...
- is that hangar sufficiently high to house anything large?
- is the stern depth going to take the gun and VLS?
- small hatch near stern is quite low in hight.
- only one funnel for a twin screw destroyer with good redundancy otherwise?

Drawing wise you should add to credits.

Good luck and looking forward to more.

[Profile] [Quote]
Valdiu
Post subject: Re: Ships of the Republic of ValdiuPosted: January 6th, 2017, 8:24 am
JSB wrote:
Valdiu wrote:
Hello!

Thank you!
Hi and welcome,
as to your ship,

Looks big with lots of redundant systems do you really need that many 1/2 systems will save a lot.
- Why 4 phalanx guns? cant think of any destroyer with more than 2.
- Why the bow and stern thrusters, I think they will be to nosy for the sonar near them.
- The low side hatch is very low it will flood...
- is that hangar sufficiently high to house anything large?
- is the stern depth going to take the gun and VLS?
- small hatch near stern is quite low in hight.
- only one funnel for a twin screw destroyer with good redundancy otherwise?

Drawing wise you should add to credits.

Good luck and looking forward to more.
[ img ]

Here is the destroyer as it stands right now - a damn sight better than it was. I have:

- Removed all hatches
- taken out everything below the waterline (It seems a bit top-heavy and could use a bit more draft)
- Am in the process of redesigning the superstructure, stack placement came up as an issue
- Reduced CIWS to a sensible level.

Thanks for your suggestions; I'm working very hard at this and I'm determined to make this great. When I'm done with the bulk of this, I might need some help with the 'frills' but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

Thanks!

[Profile] [Quote]
JSB
Post subject: Re: Ships of the Republic of ValdiuPosted: January 6th, 2017, 7:19 pm
Cool keep working and good luck.

I would add you could make all the angles the same for radar crass section reduction, so bridge front need to match mast and CIWS projection angles.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]  Return to “Beginners Only”

Jump to: