Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 6 of 8  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page « 14 5 6 7 8 »
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: The Northampton-Class Heavy Cruisers Reworked.Posted: February 16th, 2017, 3:16 am
Ok, Louisville (CA-28) posted, making up the entire class. Eventually, as time permits, and as I've stated previously, I will do versions up until ca. 1941/42 also.

[Profile] [Quote]
emperor_andreas
Post subject: Re: The Northampton-Class Heavy Cruisers Reworked.Posted: February 16th, 2017, 3:57 pm
Awesome work on Louisville...looking forward to the rest of this series!

The Official IJN Ships & Planes List

#FJB

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: The Northampton-Class Heavy Cruisers Reworked.Posted: February 16th, 2017, 6:39 pm
Good to see these being worked on again. I look forward to the later editions.

The hull shading is too intricate to me but it seems we've evolved to the point where "standards" for this don't really exist and each shading style is up to the artist. The way the armor belt is shown is nice and I may have to adopt that for my own stuff now.

[Profile] [Quote]
Garlicdesign
Post subject: Re: The Northampton-Class Heavy Cruisers Reworked.Posted: February 17th, 2017, 5:41 pm
Hello Bezo!

This thread communicates real affection of its creator to the subject. Bravo!

Although - and I hope we can agree to disagree there - I personally like the wartime fits of these ships better from an aesthetic point of view, especially after they got the higher mainmast in front of the aft funnel. I look forward to seeing them in camo, too.

Greetings
GD

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: The Northampton-Class Heavy Cruisers Reworked.Posted: February 17th, 2017, 7:24 pm
A thanks to the compliments, especially by Ian and GD. As for the latter: yes, of course we can agree to disagree, what's there to fight about?!? -But, here's the catch:while I can surely continue drawing the versions till about early 1942, I have no interest in doing them after, with their open and lowered bridges, quadruple lattice main masts, and, in the surviving units' cases, the absence of one catapult. How then could I continue to do the class justice? It should be someone with the same passion as I have for the early versions! So, with this said, I've "offered" it to Ian, with his keen WW2 knowledge to continue from 1942 on, but GD, I'll be as happy if you'd want to have a try at it! I'll be happy to offer advice and critique, but drawing those versions is not in my taste to do...

Anyway, thank you for the positive reception!

[Profile] [Quote]
emperor_andreas
Post subject: Re: The Northampton-Class Heavy Cruisers Reworked.Posted: February 17th, 2017, 7:55 pm
I'd be very interested to see what GD can do with the late-war fits!

The Official IJN Ships & Planes List

#FJB

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: The Northampton-Class Heavy Cruisers Reworked.Posted: February 17th, 2017, 8:52 pm
I agree!

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: The Northampton-Class Heavy Cruisers Reworked.Posted: February 19th, 2017, 6:25 pm
Unfortunately there are too many color errors in these drawings for me to consider using them as a base for wartime refits. None of the coloring and shading is consistent across this drawing and this makes editing and (especially) camouflaging a nightmare, where you end up working against yourself. I'd likely just draw these from scratch if I were to do the wartime stuff (I don't think this is likely to happen any time soon due to IRL constraints, and anyway, revamping the website is my priority now anyway ;))

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: The Northampton-Class Heavy Cruisers Reworked.Posted: February 19th, 2017, 6:35 pm
wasn't the original idea for shipbucket drawings, that they was supposed to be easy to modifie, by any other artist, by just be simple...?

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: The Northampton-Class Heavy Cruisers Reworked.Posted: February 19th, 2017, 7:00 pm
Yes they are, and theoretically this drawing is easy to modify if you're just using Paint and coloring individual pixels/areas by hand. A lot of the time saving methods most of us use with Photoshop or PDN or Gimp involve "overwriting" every pixel of the same color within a selection, but this is based on the fundamental assumption that the drawing itself is colored using a standardized set of shades and colors. These drawings are not.

The original MConrads work used at most five different shades of grey which made editing his drawings extremely easy with tools like Photoshop. I personally will not bother basically having to recolor an entire drawing to fix coloration errors when I can just draw it myself and know for sure it's accurate.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 6 of 8  [ 76 posts ]  Return to “Real Designs” | Go to page « 14 5 6 7 8 »

Jump to: