Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 79 of 166  [ 1658 posts ]  Go to page « 177 78 79 80 81166 »
RegiaMarina1939
Post subject: Re: Real Gunbucket For Real DesignsPosted: March 22nd, 2017, 7:53 pm
Comrade Doggo wrote: *
Just completed my first thing from scratch by Shipbucket standards: the M60 GPMG. Is this up to quality standards?
EDIT: Realized some errors I made after looking closer at an actual picture of an M60, have corrected and updated the image.
EDIT 2: More errors corrected.

[ img ]
Really cool! I don't know enough about gunbucket to try and correct you, so good work.

RegiaMarina1939

[Profile] [Quote]
Scootia23
Post subject: Re: Real Gunbucket For Real DesignsPosted: April 6th, 2017, 8:17 pm
[ img ]

My first entry to gunbucket, here's the Winchester 1907SL autoloading rifle. My first drawing in a series that will attempt to cover Winchester's automatic firearms of the early 1900s.

Designed by T.C. Johnson, one of Winchester's most profilic gun designers, the rifle fired the .351 Winchester Self Loading cartridge, an intermediate round more powerful than pistol rounds of similar bore diameter such as the 9mm Parabellum, but a far cry from true rifle sized ammunition such as the Army's 30-06. The rifle was marketed as a sporting gun, meant for small to medium sized game, where it saw modest success. During the Great War, France purchased over 2000 of these rifles for use by rear seat observers on spotter plans, modified to take 20 round box magazines and for automatic fire of up to 700 RPM. As mounted machine-guns came into widespread service these rifles found their way to ground troops, where it became possibly the first assault rifle to see combat in numbers. After the war, Winchester continued to produce the automatic, 20-round variant as a police model, where it proved popular during the prohibition for it's close quarters firepower. Fifty years after entering production, in 1958 the 1907SL ceased production.

Last edited by Scootia23 on April 14th, 2017, 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
HyperHiggsHelix
Post subject: Re: Real Gunbucket For Real DesignsPosted: April 6th, 2017, 8:23 pm
Very nice addition.

[Profile] [Quote]
RaspingLeech
Post subject: Re: Real Gunbucket For Real DesignsPosted: April 6th, 2017, 10:43 pm
Winchester-Hotchkiss M1883:
[ img ]

It was the first centerfire bolt-action rifle adopted by a major military (in this case several US State Militias) and held five .45-70 cartridges in a magazine located in the buttstock.

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: Real Gunbucket For Real DesignsPosted: April 6th, 2017, 10:44 pm
Scootia23 wrote: *
[ img ]

My first entry to gunbucket, here's the Winchester 1907SL autoloading rifle. My first drawing in a series that will attempt to cover Winchester's automatic firearms of the early 1900s.
Not bad, but it could do with some more shading

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
Scootia23
Post subject: Re: Real Gunbucket For Real DesignsPosted: April 6th, 2017, 11:24 pm
Thiel wrote: *
Scootia23 wrote: *

Not bad, but it could do with some more shading
Yes I'm aware the shading is crude and not one of my strong suites. Pointers and general advice are welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
Scootia23
Post subject: Re: Real Gunbucket For Real DesignsPosted: April 12th, 2017, 1:54 am
[ img ]

Ladies and gents, the second fine addition to my collection of Winchester automatics, this is the Burton-Winchester Machine Rifle.

Developed in 1917, this oddity of a weapon was intended for shooting down observation balloons and zeppelins. It fired a modified version of the Winchester .351WSL cartridge known as the .345WSL, the most apparent difference between them being that the .345WSL had a pointed nose spitzer bullet while the .351WSL had a round nose. This bullet was an incendiary round meant to ignite the hydrogen inside a balloon, to bring it down quickly. However the introduction of the 11mm Vickers guns capable of firing incendiary bullets made the weapon obsolete in this role. Despite having provisions for usage by ground troops, it was never issued as an infantry weapon, nor were any production models built.

This curious weapon is known for it's combination of attributes that align rather uncannily with assault rifles and more modern weaponry. Weighing in at ten pounds, it was as light as any battle rifle of the period, with two 20 round high capacity magazines mounted atop the gun in a V-pattern. The weapon was select fire and used an intermediate cartridge, and the blowback mechanism extended rearwards into the buttstock to reduce muzzle climb by directing the recoil straight backwards. The trigger group was also modular, separate from the rest of the rifle. In all but name, this was one of the world's first true assault rifles, with many features years ahead of it's time.

[Profile] [Quote]
RegiaMarina1939
Post subject: Re: Real Gunbucket For Real DesignsPosted: April 13th, 2017, 2:21 am
[ img ]

-A variation of the Colt Trooper, this .357 Magnum revolver was developed for standard police service, firing a famously hard-hitting round. Barrel lengths ranged from 2-4 inches, and they featured the standard 6-shot cylinder. They were described as "fixed-sight service-type revolvers" but didn't achieve the market penetration desired by colt. The base Trooper model was much more successful, adopted by highway patrols of various states as well as the New York Police Department.

RegiaMarina1939

[Profile] [Quote]
Scootia23
Post subject: Re: Real Gunbucket For Real DesignsPosted: April 15th, 2017, 11:43 pm
[ img ]

The finale of my Winchester Autoloader drawings trilogy, here's the Winchester 1911SL. Yep, apparently there was another American gun called the 1911, but unlike the astonishingly successful pistol that was John Moses Browning's possible greatest gift to mankind, this 1911 has more or less faded into total obscurity. The Winchester 1911 arose as a direct competitor to the legendary Auto 5 shotgun, but the difficulty in creating it arose from Browning's extensively thorough use of patent protection on the design of the Auto 5, which ironically arose from lessons he learned dealing with Winchester conning him out of his fair share of the profits from his guns because he didn't sufficiently patent protect them.

T.C. Johnson, a brilliant firearm designer in his own right, took ten years to come up with a design for an autoloading shotgun that would both function and not infringe on John Browning's patents. The end result was an oddity of a shotgun that had a number of questionable features as a way to work around patent protection of the Auto 5. This included recoil rings that buffered the recoil which were made of fiber, and an unusual method of cocking the gun which involved grabbing the barrel and yanking it backwards. The latter feature went on to earn the 1911SL notoriety as a "Widowmaker" due to the practice of poorly informed gun owners placing the gun buttstock down, barrel upwards and straddling the gun to get better leverage on the weapon to cock it or clear a jam. The gun would then slam fire as the barrel came upwards, giving the rocket scientist standing over the barrel a very terminal case of lead poisoning.

Being inferior to the Browning Auto 5 in every conceivable way, the 1911 SL faded into obscurity quietly, never being adopted by the military and finding only sparse use in civilian and police hands. Today these guns can be acquired for extremely low prices as little collector's interest has developed around them.

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Real Gunbucket For Real DesignsPosted: April 17th, 2017, 9:37 pm
Looks nice.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 79 of 166  [ 1658 posts ]  Return to “Non-Shipbucket Drawings” | Go to page « 177 78 79 80 81166 »

Jump to: