Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 2  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 »
Colosseum
Post subject: Photobucket disabling of hotlinked imagesPosted: June 30th, 2017, 5:00 pm
All -

Photobucket has now disabled hotlinking of your images on other sites without a "premium" account - and these accounts cost $400 per year. If you look through the forum, ALL photobucket images are gone, replaced with a warning for the user to upgrade their account. This is the death knell of Photobucket (which has honestly been due for quite a while...)

The Dropbox workaround described by some users still works. If you have content on photobucket, I'd suggest downloading it all and moving it to a more reasonable and modern image host, like Imgur or a personal FTP server.

At this time, the new Shipbucket site project has not reached the required level of crowdfunding to allow for personal upload space. Once we hit that mark we will add that feature to the new site and eliminate this issue altogether for our users.

Thanks
Colo

[Profile] [Quote]
adenandy
Post subject: Re: Photobucket disabling of hotlinked imagesPosted: June 30th, 2017, 10:34 pm
Colo my dear chap,

May one respectfully enquire as to the guess-timated value of the crowdfunding amount required to allow for personal upload space on the new Shipbucket site project please :?:

Sincerely your servant sir,

Andy.

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: Photobucket disabling of hotlinked imagesPosted: July 2nd, 2017, 8:58 am
Well Photobucket was worse than useless since the resizing anyway. Do they really think folks are going to shell out $400 a year just to link images to other sites?
One wonders how long will Imgur resist the temptation to implode, after all other the others have gone down the same route and I can't see the future getting any more open when it comes to image sharing.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
wb21
Post subject: Re: Photobucket disabling of hotlinked imagesPosted: July 3rd, 2017, 4:20 am
The noose keeps on tightening on Photobucket, I suppose... ever since they've restricted the full-size image display feature some two years ago.

And I'm afraid as free image hosting sites (especially the smaller ones) grow bigger over time with all the upkeep growing accordingly, they'll probably start tightening the belt—sooner or later—and restrict features, one-by-one, to paid subscribers to recoup costs. :?

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: Photobucket disabling of hotlinked imagesPosted: July 3rd, 2017, 7:52 am
It seems there might be a work-around this issue.

One of the members over at Wesworld has don't some tinkering and found that adding "~original" extension behind the link "e.g. blah.png~orginial" will show at least some of the images, seems intermittent and not 100% effective for both newer and older uploaded images but it might be a brief lifeline for some of those who are reliant on Photobucket.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Photobucket disabling of hotlinked imagesPosted: July 3rd, 2017, 11:02 am
I am right now more concerned about the loss of reference images (and even images looked up by google search) which cannot be accesed any more, for example those on the shipbucket archive forums :(

[Profile] [Quote]
Graham1973
Post subject: Re: Photobucket disabling of hotlinked imagesPosted: July 13th, 2017, 1:27 pm
I agree, I'd been using Photobucket for a while now to hold various images that could not be hosted on forums, now I cannot use it in that way. Looks like I will have to download various images and upload them to Dropbox now.

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: Photobucket disabling of hotlinked imagesPosted: July 13th, 2017, 6:16 pm
There were some reports that users actually couldn't download their images hosted on Photobucket because of some sort of image corruption that kept happening. I've seen this myself a few times when trying to save images from Photobucket; you'll end up with images that are totally distorted, with a vertical height of only 50px or so for an image that was once thousands of pixels tall. Again, not sure it's intentional on Photobucket's part or just sheer incompetence, and again I suspect it's a little bit of both....

[Profile] [Quote]
Graham1973
Post subject: Re: Photobucket disabling of hotlinked imagesPosted: July 13th, 2017, 11:59 pm
Colosseum wrote: *
There were some reports that users actually couldn't download their images hosted on Photobucket because of some sort of image corruption that kept happening. I've seen this myself a few times when trying to save images from Photobucket; you'll end up with images that are totally distorted, with a vertical height of only 50px or so for an image that was once thousands of pixels tall. Again, not sure it's intentional on Photobucket's part or just sheer incompetence, and again I suspect it's a little bit of both....
I was getting that last night. I was trying to download some of the images I had posted to one of the threads I had and every time I clicked on the download link it tried to download a 0 byte file. In the end I had to right click on the image and select 'save file as' to down load them.

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: Photobucket disabling of hotlinked imagesPosted: July 23rd, 2017, 3:33 pm
adenandy wrote: *
Colo my dear chap,

May one respectfully enquire as to the guess-timated value of the crowdfunding amount required to allow for personal upload space on the new Shipbucket site project please :?:

Sincerely your servant sir,

Andy.
We're seeking about $225 of additional donations to fund this feature.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 2  [ 20 posts ]  Return to “General Discussion” | Go to page 1 2 »

Jump to: