Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 2 of 4  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 »
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: CA-B WIPPosted: July 12th, 2017, 4:37 pm
Sigh... this just reminds me how much I need to either update or delete all the old drawings of mine on the site so these Bad Old Parts stop getting used.

The crane you've used is an earlier rendition of the same stern-mounted aircraft crane. The one I was referring to is the amidships boat crane on the BROOKLYN class, or the early CLEVELAND.

The 5" mounts on the JUNEAU drawing are updated and correctly scaled. They may look like they're "the same size" to you, but a difference of five pixels here and there truly matters and the old mounts you're using are inaccurate. I have gone to extreme lengths to draw the USN parts to a highly exacting level of detail; please make my effort worthwhile by using the correct parts. ;)

There are also new Mark 38 directors for the main battery guns in the sheets in my signature, same with the SG and SK radar sets. I would also move the radar platforms down two deck levels' worth.

I really like how this is turning out - once the parts are updated it will look quite nice. :)

[Profile] [Quote]
emperor_andreas
Post subject: Re: CA-B WIPPosted: July 13th, 2017, 2:14 am
A super-Atlanta...I like it!

The Official IJN Ships & Planes List

#FJB

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: CA-B WIPPosted: July 13th, 2017, 6:13 pm
I think I would describe i more as a super-WICHITA, with amidships aircraft handling arrangements and a step in the hull aft. Certainly an interesting design that would have looked more graceful than the flush-desk designs that came around in the 1940s.

I hope the OP is still reading the thread and working on updates!

[Profile] [Quote]
John_McCarthy1
Post subject: Re: CA-B WIPPosted: July 14th, 2017, 4:32 am
Colosseum wrote: *
Sigh... this just reminds me how much I need to either update or delete all the old drawings of mine on the site so these Bad Old Parts stop getting used.
I imagine updating would be easier but then again you know more than I do.
The crane you've used is an earlier rendition of the same stern-mounted aircraft crane. The one I was referring to is the amidships boat crane on the BROOKLYN class, or the early CLEVELAND.
Ooops... oh I get what you mean now.
The 5" mounts on the JUNEAU drawing are updated and correctly scaled. They may look like they're "the same size" to you, but a difference of five pixels here and there truly matters and the old mounts you're using are inaccurate. I have gone to extreme lengths to draw the USN parts to a highly exacting level of detail; please make my effort worthwhile by using the correct parts. ;)
oh OH ok, now I see what you mean, I just thought "use guns on Atlanta" but looking at the image you wanted me to look at I know what you mean, they do look different, my bad.
There are also new Mark 38 directors for the main battery guns in the sheets in my signature, same with the SG and SK radar sets. I would also move the radar platforms down two deck levels' worth.
Ok, will do I just didn't get to that because of the time I had took to do the other stuff and I wanted to take a break before I went to bed, and as for the radar the the center of each is just where I know the masts ended on the drawing, because since I went over the drawing and i'm not using Photoshop I can't get it back, i'll just lower them when I start working on this again.
I really like how this is turning out - once the parts are updated it will look quite nice. :)
8-) Thanks, I hope it turns out great, and I hope i can help out with stuff and get some other ships that never got the honor of gracing the ocean waves out and into the Shipbucket Archive/ship list.
emperor_andreas wrote: *
A super-Atlanta...I like it!
:? what? I can't even imagine what a Super Atlanta would look like without making it top heavy. :lol:
I think I would describe i more as a super-WICHITA, with amidships aircraft handling arrangements and a step in the hull aft. Certainly an interesting design that would have looked more graceful than the flush-desk designs that came around in the 1940s.
Yeah that's a better description, and it's one of my favorite Paper designs out of the Spring styles books. i just wish Spring Styles Book #2 never dissapeared :cry: because it would be really neat to see the US naval development from start to finish without having to spend like $100 dollars to buy one of Norman Friedman's books or something similar.
I hope the OP is still reading the thread and working on updates!
yeah I'm still here, I just went to an old Amusement park around here on Wednesday with my family because it was my town's "Picnic" day, so I got to see a bunch of friends too. I didn't really get to do anything today either because my AC is having issues, I had to turn in some job applications, and my washers been broke for ~ a month so we had to go do laundry at my grandparents. I will continue to work on it this tomorrow and this weekend though.

Suggestions Welcomed

Currently working on:
Heavy Cruiser Proposal CA-B: ~80% done.
Heavy Cruiser Proposal CA-C: ~5-10% done.
Heavy/Large Cruiser Proposal CA2-D: ~35% done.
FD Scale P-51A Dazzle Camo Livery: ~5-10% done.
Getting better: Always being worked on.

Finished:
FD Scale P-51D's Dazzle Camo Livery (might be redone)
FD Scale P-51D's German Captured Livery

Last edited by John_McCarthy1 on April 13th, 2021, 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: CA-B WIPPosted: July 14th, 2017, 2:16 pm
Sounds good man, looking forward to your updates!

[Profile] [Quote]
John_McCarthy1
Post subject: Re: CA-B WIPPosted: July 15th, 2017, 7:05 am
Ok, here is what I have right now.
[ img ]
What I did first was fix the issues you brought up, namely using the wrong parts, and getting a feel for where the masts should end up.

second, I put down some doors (taken from your picture of the Cleveland 1942 (which I made sure was OK by looking at the secondary guns, and i figured if that part is ok then most of if not all of the rest of it should be good)) and some port holes randomly (they definitely can be moved, as nothing is permanent) I also looked at the Cleveland and the Baltimore to get an idea what the windows/port holes looked at the very front of the fwd super structure.

Third I really started to look at the proposal image, and my picture to get an idea of how the shape of the super structure would look, and added some... wall railing? at the front of the super structure which I think already makes it look better.

so far I like the look of it. I would very much like some feed back on it and on what stuff needs fixed, added, or removed.

Suggestions Welcomed

Currently working on:

Finished:

[Profile] [Quote]
John_McCarthy1
Post subject: Re: CA-B WIPPosted: July 18th, 2017, 6:11 am
OK, I got to do a little bit, not as much as I usually do.
[ img ]
1st I changed the colors to be proper (as on the color charts).

The boats are going to be on the side of the ship, but I don't know how to stack the 26' Whale Motor Boat in/on the 40' Motor Launch Boat.

I also started some railing because I was bored.

I'm pretty sure i'm just about at the stage to start "filling up" the Super structure and the rest of the ship.

I plan on putting another Search light on the second smokestack, I just have to go to bed now, but I figured I'd post what I have.

hope it looks good.

Suggestions Welcomed

Currently working on:

Finished:

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: CA-B WIPPosted: July 18th, 2017, 7:59 am
The one thing that catches my eye are the masts. Drawing tapering masts is tricky, but generally we try and keep to parallel lines as much as possible to keep a consistent thickness, slowly tapering it as you go up. Just tracing the outline of the mast tends to result in the odd shaped masts you currently have in terms of thickness.

A mast at minimum should be 3 pixels thick (black-grey-black) while the base could be 6 or 7 pixels thick maximum (black-shadow-grey-grey-lighter grey-black).

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
John_McCarthy1
Post subject: Re: CA-B WIPPosted: July 20th, 2017, 8:36 am
Her is a quick update.
[ img ]

I also did a version with the railing completed, although i'm not sure if I like the way it looks.
[ img ]

Tell me what you think.

Suggestions Welcomed

Currently working on:

Finished:

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: CA-B WIPPosted: July 20th, 2017, 3:29 pm
It's looking good - certainly an interesting design.

For how to do the hull shading, look very closely at this drawing - same with the shading for everything else, too. My drawings might "look" really complicated, but they're all done using only the four shades in the camouflage sheet I made. HELENA was drawn with an assumed light source forward and above (near where the credits would be), hence the shading on the rear of things and especially on the aft side of round gun director towers and funnels.

Right now your mast platforms seem pretty high up - I would probably bring them down one deck level or so. Remember that these radar installations were heavier as the war goes on hence the large platforms (vs. the antennas just mounted to the top of the mast on the earlier combatants like HELENA).

I would also make the catapult foundation tower wider (to match the width of the small rotating platform it sits on). There is also a new SOC Seagull in the correct scale on the HELENA drawing.

Also - I would recommend waiting until the ship is basically completed to start adding railing as they make editing stuff under the railing very difficult. ;)

Otherwise, it's looking really good... keep after it!

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 2 of 4  [ 36 posts ]  Return to “Beginners Only” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 »

Jump to: