Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ] 
BB1987
Post subject: HAPAG ocean liners trio.Posted: October 11th, 2017, 7:52 pm
Has anyone reliable linedrawings of the three German liners SS Imperator, SS Vaterland and SS Bismarck (later serving as RMS Berengaria, SS Leviathjan and RMS Majestic respectively)?
On google I've found only photographs, uttterly inaccurate linearts and cutaways (nice, but useless for SB drawings). More so I've discovered that the Imperator we have on the archive is grossly underscaled (roughly 30 pixels too short) and riddled with inaccuracies.
I was tempted to to try my hand with a civilian vessel by attempting those imposing and neglected German liners, but source gathering is not helping my attempts.

Thanks in advance.

-Koko Kyouwakoku (Republic of Koko)
-Koko's carrier-based aircrafts of WWII
-Koko Kaiun Yuso Kaisha - KoKaYu Line (Koko AU spinoff)
-Koko - Civil Aviation

[Profile] [Quote]
Novice
Post subject: Re: HAPAG ocean liners trio.Posted: October 11th, 2017, 10:23 pm
You might find more if you search them under the names Majestic, Berengaria and Leviathan. There are some differences between the ships as built in Germany and as operated by Britain or the US, but underwater hull shape will be the same as well as most of the superstructure

"Never fear to try on something new. Remember that the Titanic was built by professionals, and the Ark by an amateur"

[Profile] [Quote]
emperor_andreas
Post subject: Re: HAPAG ocean liners trio.Posted: October 11th, 2017, 10:49 pm
I've tried searching under all six of their names...lots of photos out there, but the only line drawings I've found are either deck plans or internal side views.

The Official IJN Ships & Planes List

#FJB

[Profile] [Quote]
BB1987
Post subject: Re: HAPAG ocean liners trio.Posted: October 12th, 2017, 10:13 am
Novice wrote: *
You might find more if you search them under the names Majestic, Berengaria and Leviathan.
Did that as well, my results were the same as explained by Emperor_Andreas

-Koko - Civil Aviation

[Profile] [Quote]
Cunardfan
Post subject: Re: HAPAG ocean liners trio.Posted: October 13th, 2017, 3:44 pm
Well I found this for Berengaria and Imperator and Leviathan, I can't speak to its accuracy, it looks alright but I don't know about scaling.

https://www.encyclopedia-titanica.org/i ... ngaria.gif

http://www.boris-lux.de/04_types/51_sh/ ... -1001g.gif

https://salkantiques.files.wordpress.co ... ?w=2000&h=

Cunard Line Ascania (final 1950s configuration)
Cunard Line RMS Aquitania

[Profile] [Quote]
BB1987
Post subject: Re: HAPAG ocean liners trio.Posted: October 13th, 2017, 4:21 pm
The Imperator/berengaria pair seem to get the differences between the ship layout after it switched owners, however there are quite a lot other details that are inerhently wrong and can be spotted just by a quick glance on any picture.
For example:
The bow anchor is at least a deck too low. The eagle in way overscaled, at least vertically. The deck line of the entire forecastle is completely messed up (the deckhouse below the mast is too high, many bulwarks are missing, there is a cutout just before the superstructure that did not exist on the real ship, the mooring gear below the well deck is a complete misidentification of the steerage lounge windows). The front supestructure below the bridge area is inaccurate as well. The lowermost row of portholes at the bow goes back way too far (I'm pretty sure the last 9 portholes should not be there) and right at the stern there are mooring gear cutouts that shouldn't be there since Imperator had no bulwarks there, they were added later on the Berengaria).
In short, the two Imperator/Berengaria drawings were among the inaccurate ones I had found while doing my own research. I'm pretty sure the first of the two was used to draw the Imperator we have on the board currently, as the inaccuracies are the same. They are not to be completely discarded as a reference but they need a lot of fixes to correct those issues.

On the other hand, the Leviathan drawing is something I had not find, ad while a bit bleak in its colours (in a rescaling/contrast sense), at first glance seems to be definitely more accurate.

I appreciate the help, hoping that somewhere there is more lying in wait. Especially ofr the Bismark/Oceanic.

-Koko - Civil Aviation

[Profile] [Quote]
Cunardfan
Post subject: Re: HAPAG ocean liners trio.Posted: October 13th, 2017, 5:05 pm
I found this for Majestic, the watermark is a bit distracting but it's all I could find that actually looked accurate.

http://www.markchirnside.co.uk/Images/P ... Codus2.jpg

Edit: Found a better one I think....http://hmhsbritannic.ucoz.ru/_ph/25/403534988.jpg

Cunard Line Ascania (final 1950s configuration)
Cunard Line RMS Aquitania

[Profile] [Quote]
Novice
Post subject: Re: HAPAG ocean liners trio.Posted: October 13th, 2017, 9:42 pm
In fact when the US Shipping Board took the former Vaterland and was planning on using the ship as an American liner the Leviathan, they had completely modified her including making some changes to her profile, and had refitted the engines and boilers. The side drawing of the ship in United States Line colors is the best of the drawings posted above, and the least inaccurate. It was done bu an American artist (who's name I forgot) which used the ships plans. He also made some other drawings like this of some other famous liners.

"Never fear to try on something new. Remember that the Titanic was built by professionals, and the Ark by an amateur"

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ]  Return to “Sources and Reference Drawings”

Jump to: