Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 2 of 3  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 »
Wikipedia & Universe
Post subject: Re: IRL Mistress-Class Nuclear ULCVPosted: February 5th, 2018, 12:53 am
Would this be a good spot for it?

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
matedow
Post subject: Re: IRL Mistress-Class Nuclear ULCVPosted: February 5th, 2018, 6:51 am
The sidelight has to be placed where it can be viewed from "right ahead." This would mean that you would place it where the bow starts to bend in toward the stem. This is why they are often mounted on the bridge wings. They usually have the visibility both forward and abaft the beam that is required by the rules.

It also has to be mounted where it can be accessed for bulb changes, but with the advent of LEDs, this is less important.

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: IRL Mistress-Class Nuclear ULCVPosted: February 5th, 2018, 1:32 pm
I doubt you're going to get 30+ knots of speed out of that hull no matter how much power you install. The Maersk B class could do 30+ knots when they were new, but they had 60MW installed power, were 3/4th the length, a little more than half the beam and carried about 5000 TEU to do so.

Once you subtract the power needed for reefer containers you're left with roughly as much power as other current ULCVs, so speed should be similar.

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
Wikipedia & Universe
Post subject: Re: IRL Mistress-Class Nuclear ULCVPosted: February 6th, 2018, 4:35 am
matedow wrote: *
The sidelight has to be placed where it can be viewed from "right ahead." This would mean that you would place it where the bow starts to bend in toward the stem. This is why they are often mounted on the bridge wings. They usually have the visibility both forward and abaft the beam that is required by the rules.

It also has to be mounted where it can be accessed for bulb changes, but with the advent of LEDs, this is less important.
Looking at the drawing, where would you personally mount it?
Thiel wrote: *
I doubt you're going to get 30+ knots of speed out of that hull no matter how much power you install. The Maersk B class could do 30+ knots when they were new, but they had 60MW installed power, were 3/4th the length, a little more than half the beam and carried about 5000 TEU to do so.

Once you subtract the power needed for reefer containers you're left with roughly as much power as other current ULCVs, so speed should be similar.
Thanks for the heads-up. I wasn't sure because ULCVs are of course not the same as carriers and vice-versa. Could there be any sort of speed advantage at all, at least in terms of the overall journey?

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: IRL Mistress-Class Nuclear ULCVPosted: February 6th, 2018, 12:22 pm
Well, most ships don't actually operate at their maximum cruise speed for economic and planning related reasons. Most container vessels I see out here are running around at 17-19 knots. Since your fuel economy is rather different you could operate at full speed all the time.
This does however have the downside that if you get delayed for any reason, be it weather or slow dock workers, you don't have any way to make up for it.

If you're not carrying your full load of reefer containers you should be able to use the leftover power for propulsion, which might come in handy, but it's hardly the kind of thing I'd plan on doing regularly.

Worklist

[Profile] [Quote]
Ro-Po Max
Post subject: Re: IRL Mistress-Class Nuclear ULCVPosted: February 6th, 2018, 12:46 pm
[ img ]
This solution does not increase the load on? It's beautiful, but as for me on supercars, and high-speed trains (where you need a front spoiler).

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: IRL Mistress-Class Nuclear ULCVPosted: February 6th, 2018, 12:57 pm
The shelter isn't there to act as a wind break, it's to keep waves from crashing over it.

Worklist

[Profile] [Quote]
Ro-Po Max
Post subject: Re: IRL Mistress-Class Nuclear ULCVPosted: February 6th, 2018, 1:08 pm
The shelter isn't there to act as a wind break, it's to keep waves from crashing over it.
Well, physics does not deceive, the plunging of the nose is inevitable in a strong wind. About the fuel efficiency is not talking, but the speed can be lost. Especially when fully loaded with containers. This is just my opinion.

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: IRL Mistress-Class Nuclear ULCVPosted: February 6th, 2018, 1:22 pm
By the time the wind is strong enough to slow the ship down the waves will long since have gotten tall enough to all but stop it in its tracks

Worklist

[Profile] [Quote]
Ro-Po Max
Post subject: Re: IRL Mistress-Class Nuclear ULCVPosted: February 6th, 2018, 1:45 pm
By the time the wind is strong enough to slow the ship down the waves will long since have gotten tall enough to all but stop it in its tracks
The beauty and originality, I understand. Disruption of the wind from the "spoiler" can lead to loss of cargo, which often happens.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 2 of 3  [ 26 posts ]  Return to “Personal Designs” | Go to page « 1 2 3 »

Jump to: