Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 3  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 3 »
BB1987
Post subject: USA - Oliver Hazard Perry Class FrigatePosted: October 8th, 2018, 10:58 am
Nothing particulary important done and definitely not worth changing the credit line, but I ended up giving a new coat of paint to the Perry's underwater hull, and -while I was at it- the new window colour as well.

OHP 1977
[ img ]

OHP 1994
[ img ]

McInerney 1979
[ img ]

Rodney M Davis 1987
[ img ]

Rodney M Davis 1996
[ img ]

Rodney M davis 2005
[ img ]

(on a small side note. I wanted to upload them directly to the archive, since I have an account that got re-created purposedly for the new upload and restoration, but it seems I cannot find a login button or a submit one apparently)

-Koko Kyouwakoku (Republic of Koko)
-Koko's carrier-based aircrafts of WWII
-Koko Kaiun Yuso Kaisha - KoKaYu Line (Koko AU spinoff)
-Koko - Civil Aviation

[Profile] [Quote]
emperor_andreas
Post subject: Re: USA - Oliver Hazard Perry Class FrigatePosted: October 8th, 2018, 12:36 pm
YES! Another masterpiece! I hope this means you're back to drawing ships!

The Official IJN Ships & Planes List

#FJB

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: USA - Oliver Hazard Perry Class FrigatePosted: October 8th, 2018, 1:17 pm
Great stuff... these needed a refresh especially with the new colors. Now the next step will be to identify the exact "current" formulation of Haze Grey #27 to properly color the upperworks. ;)

To login to the site, go here: http://shipbucket.com/login

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: USA - Oliver Hazard Perry Class FrigatePosted: October 8th, 2018, 8:10 pm
Sorry to say, as you have obviously put a lot of work into this but....... no. The colouring update was required, but the way you shaded everything now is just a mixmatch of too many shades and different shading styles. Soooooooo I moved this up my worklist and reworked the shading on FFG-8, and I will try to update the other drawings (including neverbuilds) soon and recheck the detailing on this one.

[ img ]
The big difference between the ones in the first post and this one are the simplified shading, shading line better representing the perry's hull, correctly bordered bilge keels and active stabilisers (they make an 90 degree angle with the hull so get an black line) and shading not actually overstating the overhangs of objects. While I was at it, I also updated the SPS-49 and Mk 32 SVTT parts and put the credits on as I do on my current drawings.

Feel free to comment, of course, but as my name is on these drawings I want them to be correct and fitting with the style as I draw myself :P

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: USA - Oliver Hazard Perry Class FrigatePosted: October 8th, 2018, 9:39 pm
Let's not be mean to each other now... it's just shading after all ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: USA - Oliver Hazard Perry Class FrigatePosted: October 9th, 2018, 6:47 am
If that post sounded mean, that was not my intention.....

[Profile] [Quote]
BB1987
Post subject: Re: USA - Oliver Hazard Perry Class FrigatePosted: October 9th, 2018, 10:02 am
Shading is indeed a matter of personal interpretation, I'd also say that Ace's probably do better represent the Perry's hull shape.

Yet, I'd still ask: why revert back to those ungainy kinks on the bow, the old window colour, the black waterline, and disegard Colosseum's USN antifouling red which I had used?

-Koko - Civil Aviation

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: USA - Oliver Hazard Perry Class FrigatePosted: October 9th, 2018, 1:13 pm
the ungainly kinks on the bow, because I had not spotted those :P I reverted from my old layered file for easy editing, so I did not look at yours that closely.
The old window colour, black waterline: because I might be a bit of an purist, but I like using those, I've yet to do an drawing with the 'new' colour and without black waterline marker, I just prefer those.....

as for the colour used, I used the antifouling red that we used on postwar ships, I expect it has changed over time and this was the colour closest to that of the spruances IIRC. I can't remember exactly how that was established (any official specs or just from drydock pics) but for consistency with the other ships of the time which have been drawn recently...... I chose to use this colour set.

I will, at the very least, recheck the bow shape when I work on this again, and take a look at the other points as well (although I expect to keep them as is, call it personal preference :P)

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: USA - Oliver Hazard Perry Class FrigatePosted: October 9th, 2018, 1:20 pm
A compromise would be best here --

1. Ace's shading shape
2. Ace's new parts (SVTT and SPS-49)
3. BB1987's better bow shape which makes the curve look more natural
4. Replacement of the black waterline with black boot topping as on all current drawings
5. If not the Norfolk 65A from my color chart (which may not be the "modern" formulation), then maybe you guys can do some research and find exact colors for the current antifouling paint used by the USN?
6. New window color please.

edit: Also, best practice would move the vertical stanchion supporting the SPS-49 forward one px or so to eliminate the massive double black line on that platform.

[Profile] [Quote]
BB1987
Post subject: Re: USA - Oliver Hazard Perry Class FrigatePosted: October 9th, 2018, 1:26 pm
Probably so. If the result is for the better of the overall drawing quality a bit of bickering is a fair price to pay :P

-Koko - Civil Aviation

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 3  [ 23 posts ]  Return to “Real Designs” | Go to page 1 2 3 »

Jump to: