Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 6 of 10  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page « 14 5 6 7 810 »
Hood
Post subject: Re: BB-63 USS Missouri ''Migthy Mo'' 1945 and more...Posted: September 2nd, 2019, 7:54 am
Lovely work Paul.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
Oberon II
Post subject: Re: BB-63 USS Missouri ''Migthy Mo'' 1945 and more...Posted: September 2nd, 2019, 12:26 pm
Beyond spectacular! Thank you :)

Have to admit I've never seen an accurate depiction of this ship in as-built [circa 1943 condition. The Bridge and Conning tower arrangement certainly looks more like a development of earlier designs in this configuration than it did later with the more enclosed arrangement. Post-1944 the design lineage isn't anywhere near as obvious.

[ img ]

AU Democratic Commonwealth of the Falkland Islands (DCFI) [under development]

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: BB-63 USS Missouri ''Migthy Mo'' 1945 and more...Posted: September 2nd, 2019, 4:55 pm
Nice work. My only minor nitpick is that you've put a Mark 27 radar ahead of the fire control tower, when in reality this was the ship's forward SG surface search set. Also, on all your BB drawings you seem to be using the older version of the SG set which has an incorrectly scaled reflector. The corrected version is on this sheet: http://shipbucket.com/wiki/images/a/a7/ ... _Sheet.png

Also, USN hull numbers in World War II were 24" high.
Oberon II wrote: *

Have to admit I've never seen an accurate depiction of this ship in as-built [circa 1943 condition. The Bridge and Conning tower arrangement certainly looks more like a development of earlier designs in this configuration than it did later with the more enclosed arrangement. Post-1944 the design lineage isn't anywhere near as obvious.
The definitive "as built" version of this ship would be April 1943 during the inclining experiment at the New York Navy Yard. After shakedown, the ship received the prominent wind deflectors on the fire control tower positions, and the new conning station built around the forward Mark 37 director foundation (this is the configuration Paul has shown).

I agree the open bridges around the conning tower look way better than the nice enclosed bridges of the later units :)

Will we see the rounded bridge arrangement of New Jersey?

[Profile] [Quote]
paul_541
Post subject: Re: BB-63 USS Missouri ''Migthy Mo'' 1945 and more...Posted: September 2nd, 2019, 5:16 pm
Colosseum wrote: *
Nice work. My only minor nitpick is that you've put a Mark 27 radar ahead of the fire control tower, when in reality this was the ship's forward SG surface search set. Also, on all your BB drawings you seem to be using the older version of the SG set which has an incorrectly scaled reflector. The corrected version is on this sheet: http://shipbucket.com/wiki/images/a/a7/ ... _Sheet.png

Also, USN hull numbers in World War II were 24" high.
Oberon II wrote: *

The definitive "as built" version of this ship would be April 1943 during the inclining experiment at the New York Navy Yard. After shakedown, the ship received the prominent wind deflectors on the fire control tower positions, and the new conning station built around the forward Mark 37 director foundation (this is the configuration Paul has shown).

I agree the open bridges around the conning tower look way better than the nice enclosed bridges of the later units :)

Will we see the rounded bridge arrangement of New Jersey?
Thanks for the comments ! @Colosseum are you sure about the mark 27 ? I've got a picture on November 1943 showing only a mark 27 on the top of the tower...
[ img ]

EDIT: A SG is shown on the high on july 1943
[ img ]

HMCS Bonaventure CVL-22 and later alterations
Paul 2024

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: BB-63 USS Missouri ''Migthy Mo'' 1945 and more...Posted: September 2nd, 2019, 5:23 pm
The radar atop the conning tower is the Mark 3 "FC" -- this was the associated fire control radar for the Mark 40 GFCS inside the top level of the conning tower (intended as a backup if the two Mark 38 directors were somehow destroyed). Mark 27 is a late-war radar that replaced the Mark 3 conning tower installations and performed the same role (standby ranging). In some cases (mostly postwar) you also see these radars mounted atop gun turrets in place of turret rangefinders for local control.

I'm referring to the small platform bracketed to the front of the superstructure, just below the air defense level (around the forward Mark 38 director foundation).
The radar mounted here was an SG and not Mark 27 as you have shown:

[ img ]

edit: also, there were small screens mounted to the railing in this position (likely intended as shielding for personnel inside the structure, but I have never been able to confirm this from primary sources). You can see the installation in my drawing of BB-61 in Dec 44: http://shipbucket.com/drawings/95/file (the installation was unchanged - you can also see it in your photo above)

Great work otherwise!

[Profile] [Quote]
paul_541
Post subject: Re: BB-63 USS Missouri ''Migthy Mo'' 1945 and more...Posted: September 2nd, 2019, 5:42 pm
Colosseum wrote: *
The radar atop the conning tower is the Mark 3 "FC" -- this was the associated fire control radar for the Mark 40 GFCS inside the top level of the conning tower (intended as a backup if the two Mark 38 directors were somehow destroyed). Mark 27 is a late-war radar that replaced the Mark 3 conning tower installations and performed the same role (standby ranging). In some cases (mostly postwar) you also see these radars mounted atop gun turrets in place of turret rangefinders for local control.

I'm referring to the small platform bracketed to the front of the superstructure, just below the air defense level (around the forward Mark 38 director foundation).
The radar mounted here was an SG and not Mark 27 as you have shown:

edit: also, there were small screens mounted to the railing in this position (likely intended as shielding for personnel inside the structure, but I have never been able to confirm this from primary sources). You can see the installation in my drawing of BB-61 in Dec 44: http://shipbucket.com/drawings/95/file (the installation was unchanged - you can also see it in your photo above)

Great work otherwise!
Corrected ! Thanks for the tips !
[ img ]

Paul 2024

Last edited by paul_541 on September 3rd, 2019, 10:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: BB-63 USS Missouri ''Migthy Mo'' 1945 and more...Posted: September 2nd, 2019, 5:44 pm
Looking good!

Any reason you are not using the outboard-facing 40mm guns, Mark 37 directors, etc?

[Profile] [Quote]
Rainmaker
Post subject: Re: BB-63 USS Missouri ''Migthy Mo'' 1945 and more...Posted: September 2nd, 2019, 5:53 pm
Gorgeous work! Looking forward to seeing your rendition of HMCS Bonaventure make an appearance at some point as well!

[Profile] [Quote]
paul_541
Post subject: Re: BB-63 USS Missouri ''Migthy Mo'' 1945 and more...Posted: September 2nd, 2019, 6:34 pm
Quote:
Colosseum: Looking good!

Any reason you are not using the outboard-facing 40mm guns, Mark 37 directors, etc?
No I was lazy I guess ! I just updated it with some ;)
Rainmaker wrote: *
Gorgeous work! Looking forward to seeing your rendition of HMCS Bonaventure make an appearance at some point as well!
Many thanks ! I almost complete it but the good sources are rare and the best I found is a model made by an canadian association and is based at Ottawa's National Air & Space museum so... I must make a trip there to finish with some details. :)

Paul 2024

[Profile] [Quote]
paul_541
Post subject: Re: BB-63 USS Missouri ''Migthy Mo'' 1945 and more...Posted: September 2nd, 2019, 11:54 pm
Here is pratically USS Iowa "As built version" after launching in august 1942 and commissionning in February 1943.

[ img ]

Paul 2024

Last edited by paul_541 on September 3rd, 2019, 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 6 of 10  [ 91 posts ]  Return to “Real Designs” | Go to page « 14 5 6 7 810 »

Jump to: