Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ] 
Hood
Post subject: Type 42 ReduxPosted: May 16th, 2020, 9:38 am
I have recently had the chance to make some updates to the Type 42 drawings I did a few (six?) years ago.
Nothing major other than some shading revisions and updated parts and some tidying up here and there.

[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
Vossiej
Post subject: Re: Type 42 ReduxPosted: May 16th, 2020, 2:45 pm
Do you perhaps have any more information about the temporary layout of HMS Edinburgh (with single Phalanx fitted behind main gun), and the envisioned Type 42 Batch 3 with one Phalanx and two 4-cell SeaWolf launchers midships? There where some layouts available on secretprojects.co.uk, but they have been taken down. All I can find are some photos en information as stated below:

The redesign for the Type 42 Batch 3 envisioned for two light-weigh 4-cell Sea Wolf launcher on both sides of the funnel plus a CIWS mount on the forecastle. As this project failed to reach deployment in time (mainly due to lack of funds), HMS Edinburgh, the last of the class, was only fitted with a single Phalanx mount between the Sea Dart and Main gun. To this end her breakwaters were enlarged and she was fitted with a raised bulwark (very much like those carried on Type 22).

This location however proved to be very unsuitable due to the large amount of sea water creeping into the Phalanx system, despite the modifications. Later on, when funding for the 4-cell SeaWolf was cancelled entirely she received two Phalanx guns on the funnel wing platforms (where the SeaWolf launchers would have been placed originally), as well where all the other ships of the class in service at the time. The other three previous ships of Batch 3 retained the provision but where not fitted with any of the extra systems.

[ img ]
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: Type 42 ReduxPosted: May 16th, 2020, 10:55 pm
These are excellent drawings. Although I can't say I love them... I'd forgotten just how austere the Type 42 was, especially in early batches.

A fairly remarkable example of the mantra of "steel is cheap, air is free".

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: Type 42 ReduxPosted: May 17th, 2020, 9:31 am
Vossiej wrote: *
Do you perhaps have any more information about the temporary layout of HMS Edinburgh (with single Phalanx fitted behind main gun), and the envisioned Type 42 Batch 3 with one Phalanx and two 4-cell SeaWolf launchers midships? There where some layouts available on secretprojects.co.uk, but they have been taken down. All I can find are some photos en information as stated below:
I don't have any information specifically for that planned refit.
It seems an odd place for a gun CIWS given the limited arcs of fire (plus the water and spray issues encountered). The problem was the lack of adequate top weight margins. Many of the Batch 1 and Batch 2 ships with Phalanx had to lose their torpedo tubes as compensation. I suspect that with the beam spaces earmarked for Sea Wolf the only place left for a Phalanx was on the bows, for example putting it atop the hangar was probably difficult due to topweight. The fire-control required for Sea Wolf would have been awkward to fit too, both for space and topweight. I have a feeling it was too ambitious.
As Erik says, these were austere ships and even the Batch 3s were not fully optimised (hence the visible hull reinforcement).

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Type 42 ReduxPosted: May 17th, 2020, 9:32 am
Great work updating them.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]  Return to “Real Designs”

Jump to: