Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 2  [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 »
waterwings
Post subject: HMS Scott (H131) / Echo Class (H87 / 88)Posted: September 11th, 2020, 2:55 pm
Hello shippers,

I started this a long time ago but ran of out good drawings / photos, but a recent (ish) Save The Royal Navy article inspired me to finish her while I had some free time on my hands. HMS Scott is the RN's large oceanic survey vessel, including integrated squash court, fitted for but not with racquetball. I have a feeling anything I draw rapidly enters a half-decade-long refit or gets withdrawn from service - I hope I'm not condemning her! :?

She's due to leave the fleet in 2022, and as always new ships seem at the bottom of the list right now - it would not be a surprise to me if they ended up chopping her without replacement. I suppose we'll have to wait for Cummings' SDSR :roll: I've done two colour variants, a clean one and a 'pre-refit' one, because I like panel lines etc but I know they're not to everyone's taste. I've not drawn anything for a long time so I hope I haven't butchered the style too much!

Let me know what you think. :geek:

[ img ]

[ img ]

Cheers, stay safe!

Last edited by waterwings on September 17th, 2020, 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: HMS Scott (H131)Posted: September 11th, 2020, 3:28 pm
Both version is excellent quality. We draw ships without rust, since we prefer to draw the ships, like they have just ben painted. as close to how they look at that moment, with the same color as they are painted in, but as a newly painted vessel

But if you clean the rust and remove the panel lines (they do look nice), and easy a little on the underwater shading, the shading is a bit dark, you can post it with the same underwater and hull color as you use in the first drawing. Then it would be perfect for the archive.

Underwater colors:
- main color
- shading color
-darker color to mark at something is changing angle, sharply (just a one pixel line

BTW. is the ladder on the aft deck, blue?

[Profile] [Quote]
The_Sprinklez
Post subject: Re: HMS Scott (H131)Posted: September 11th, 2020, 3:40 pm
Looks pretty good! That being said, there are a few items myself and other members of the Shipbucket Discord have noticed, and I'll point them out here.

[ img ]
On the image:
1 - You're missing panel lines or panel line segments in a few areas.
2 - There are some stray pixels both on the hull and on the template.
3 - Your boot topping shade is pure black, which should only be the outline color and not shadows.
4 - A part on the underwater hull looks to have been partially cut-off.
5 - The railing on the stairs aft are blue, I assume from an earlier false-color Work-in-Progress.

Things that aren't marked out on the image:
1 - The shading itself is a bit heavy and the shades don't look to be an equal value apart, with some shades being more similar to the one next to them than others.
2 - You've included panel lines on the underwater hull which mean that, at the same level of detail, a number of other details should be visible (coolwater inlets, anodes, etc.).
3 - I personally like the rust, but it is nonstandard so perhaps include a version without it.
4 - In general the sonars and other underwater equipment seem a bit lacking in detail and shading

Please don't take this as saying it's a bad drawing, because it certainly is not. However, I feel some tweaks and fixes could make it even better.

Im Schatten des Adlers - An Alternate History Timeline: http://shipbucket.com/wiki/index.php/Ca ... des_Adlers

[Profile] [Quote]
waterwings
Post subject: Re: HMS Scott (H131)Posted: September 14th, 2020, 12:45 pm
Attempt 2:

[ img ]

I get the rust is a little controversial :lol: I like a ship that looks a bit battered and like it's been doing good work. Anyway, I'm always pretty crap at the shading - hopefully this is a slight improvement. The panel lines are easier to remove than fix properly :geek:
The_Sprinklez wrote: *
4 - In general the sonars and other underwater equipment seem a bit lacking in detail and shading
I couldn't really find any references / imagery of the droggy kit on Scott so all I've got is the placement of the equipment - I haven't got any more detail about it.

The aft stairs are no longer blue. :roll:

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: HMS Scott (H131)Posted: September 14th, 2020, 1:28 pm
Nice work. Regarding the underwater equipment, at least you're showing that something is there vs. omitting it entirely. Others may think it's wrong to show stuff without knowing the exact configuration, but given the difficulty of finding info on this sort of equipment I don't think it's a problem

Likely only a docking plan would show the exact layout and even then... would it be available for this ship?

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: HMS Scott (H131)Posted: September 15th, 2020, 7:56 am
Looks a lot better now.
I agree with Ian, good underwater references are hard to come by, as long as you have something that looks workable as a representation of the real thing then I'm happy. What is worse is if someone makes it up.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: HMS Scott (H131)Posted: September 15th, 2020, 4:48 pm
Echoing everybody else, I think this is a great drawing, and I prefer an incomplete or under-detailed underwater representation rather than the old waterline-only drawings (does anybody even do those anymore?).

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: HMS Scott (H131)Posted: September 15th, 2020, 6:16 pm
I agree here. That said, I think the issue of underdetailed underwater details was mostly caused by the extremely detailed panel lining being included, but other underwater hull details not. I personally try to keep stuff like that on an equal level, so you can see that what is not drawn is not neccesarely not there, but just unknown.

So in other words, I think this is an excellent drawing now!

[Profile] [Quote]
waterwings
Post subject: Re: HMS Scott (H131)Posted: September 15th, 2020, 7:20 pm
Thanks for the feedback, everybody :) The placement of the underwater equipment should be fairly accurate, I've just found no real references other than extremely basic shape about what they should look like :lol:

Since we're on hydrographic ships, I also took the opportunity to completely redo the Echo-class I drew a few years back, HMS Enterprise:

[ img ]

I found a much better reference so underwater shape is now drawn properly and the azi pods are pointing the right way :roll:

Also, the way the ship is when newly painted is very bright, so I've done HMS Echo brand new out of refit (also fits the colours for the rest of the RN I've done). I also tried diver's lines (as per the original) but to be honest they seem impossible to do accurately without a complete 3D model of the hull. :geek:

[ img ]

Is there a way to update the topic to read HMS Scott and Echo / Enterprise? :roll:

Cheers!

[Profile] [Quote]
darthpanda
Post subject: Re: HMS Scott (H131)Posted: September 16th, 2020, 7:36 am
Loving the Enterprise!!!

- RHKAAF / HKGFS - 皇家香港輔助空軍 / 政府飛行服務隊
- Gunbucket - LINK

天滅中共全黨死清光!

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 2  [ 15 posts ]  Return to “Real Designs” | Go to page 1 2 »

Jump to: