Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 5 of 6  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5 6 »
dalamace
Post subject: Re: American Never-Built CruisersPosted: September 26th, 2020, 10:04 am
Hello,

I guess I gonna necro this thread a bit (finally) and put on some new drawings. The 1938 Heavy Cruiser design studies as defined in Norman Friedman's book. This will include both the 8" proposal and a 12" proposal, the latter seemingly one of the ancestors to what would be the USS Alaska-class large cruisers. Anyway, here it is:

The Heavy Cruiser Study of April 1938 (8" Version):

[ img ]

The Heavy Cruiser Study of April 1938 (12" Version):

[ img ]

If there's any mistake please do tell! I make it so that it uses technologies as of 1938 and strictly adhering to the characteristics in the book, hence no AA beyond .50 calibre machine guns and a lack of radar.

Thank You!

[Profile] [Quote]
emperor_andreas
Post subject: Re: American Never-Built CruisersPosted: September 26th, 2020, 6:52 pm
Very nice! Showboat Jr.! :D

The Official IJN Ships & Planes List

#FJB

[Profile] [Quote]
KHT
Post subject: Re: American Never-Built CruisersPosted: September 26th, 2020, 6:56 pm
Looking good.

I'm a bit curious about the secondaries though. I'd have thought the Mk.12 to be pretty universally featured on ship designs from this era, and those turrets looks like something else.

[Profile] [Quote]
dalamace
Post subject: Re: American Never-Built CruisersPosted: September 27th, 2020, 7:36 am
KHT wrote: *
Looking good.

I'm a bit curious about the secondaries though. I'd have thought the Mk.12 to be pretty universally featured on ship designs from this era, and those turrets looks like something else.
The secondary are Mk 12 guns but they're on a different gun mount which was used on the St Louis (CL-49) and her sister ship.

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: American Never-Built CruisersPosted: September 27th, 2020, 9:03 am
Looking good, one can see the Alaska heritage in the layout and superstructure style.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
dalamace
Post subject: Re: American Never-Built CruisersPosted: November 14th, 2020, 5:39 pm
Hello Everyone!

I've returned and this time with a design for the USS Alaska, a prelim that outlined it having been armed with 8" guns:

[ img ]

No top-views (yet perhaps) and if you have any problems with it, do please say! Have a whole line of these guys planned.

Thank You!

[Profile] [Quote]
dalamace
Post subject: Re: American Never-Built CruisersPosted: November 29th, 2020, 8:21 am
Hello everyone,

The Scheme 8 was a cruiser design made in 1938 to maximise firepower on the lowest possible displacement. She was armed with 3 6" triple turrets and 4 5" twin turrets, both of which would be used in the St Louis-class light cruiser. Notable design features included a sloping main deck, a lack of hangar, and torpedo tubes.

[ img ]

Edit: forgot to put the latest design which included camo and better detailings:

[ img ]

Thank You!

Last edited by dalamace on November 29th, 2020, 5:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: American Never-Built CruisersPosted: November 29th, 2020, 3:07 pm
Some very nice additions and interesting designs, good to see some of these USN never-weres fleshed out.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
dalamace
Post subject: Re: American Never-Built CruisersPosted: February 22nd, 2021, 5:35 pm
Hello,

Thanks Hood and everyone else, I guess I never really did thanked for all the feedback so apologies!

For now, I got some things on the backburner of old drawings, largely modernisations:

Scheme 8 if she has been given a radar outfit:

[ img ]

Various Scheme 2 heavy cruisers:

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

I guess you can call them little vanity project or something but they're here and I might as well post these.

Thank You!

[Profile] [Quote]
emperor_andreas
Post subject: Re: American Never-Built CruisersPosted: February 23rd, 2021, 12:24 am
Love the Measure 12 version! Nice work!

The Official IJN Ships & Planes List

#FJB

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 5 of 6  [ 51 posts ]  Return to “Never-Built Designs” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5 6 »

Jump to: