Fokker T.VIIIw/G in Dutch service
Designed as a seaplane torpedo bomber to replace the T.IVw in both Europe and the Netherlands East Indies, production had commenced just before WWII.
The initial production model was of Fokker standard mixed construction; the rear fuselage was fabric covered, while only the forward section was matalised. The NEI required a fully metalised aircraft, and so a second model (T.VIIIw/M) was designed for the East Indies.
The first 5 of the Dutch order of 24 aircraft were delivered in 1939. On 13th September 1939 a T.VIIIw/G was incorrectly idenetified as French or British and shot down by a German seaplane. In response the Dutch changed to the bright orange triangle national marking.
The second batch of 6 aircraft were delivered on 10 May 1939, the day that Germany invaded.
No additional aircraft were lost in combat, and the remaining T.VIIIw/G aircraft were evacuated to Britain to serve in the RAF.
The unbuilt aircraft on the Fokker production line were completed and served in the Luftwaffe.
No aircraft ever reached the NEI.