Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 2 of 3  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 »
Kingpin6100
Post subject: Re: Taksin-class cruisers for ThailandPosted: December 12th, 2020, 4:41 pm
alright, worked on some feedback and cleaned up the outlying gray.

let me know what else I missed, as this is my first real SB drawing :)

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Taksin-class cruisers for ThailandPosted: December 12th, 2020, 6:03 pm
Maybe You cleaned the outlying gray, but in the process you returned to the version with double black lines, single-pixel-thick walkways (instead of 3-pixel) etc.

[Profile] [Quote]
Kingpin6100
Post subject: Re: Taksin-class cruisers for ThailandPosted: December 12th, 2020, 9:26 pm
eswube wrote: *
Maybe You cleaned the outlying gray, but in the process you returned to the version with double black lines, single-pixel-thick walkways (instead of 3-pixel) etc.
.... dammit.

A silly mistake, but an easy fix, at least

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: Taksin-class cruisers for ThailandPosted: December 13th, 2020, 1:41 am
and the single black line on the turret, should most likely be dark grey, indicating a break that are not 90 degree. But.... the turret doesn't match the turret from the book

and if you study the drawing from the book, you can clearly see the tower structure is smaller then the bridge structure

So seeing the drawing from the book, year the ship was ordered, what design it have and turret design. Turret manufacture is Ansaldo-/Oto. turret type and caliber.

With this information, I conclude that "Taksin-class" is a smaller version of "Duca d'aosta class" light cruiser, as I stated earlier. by the following fact:

- Ordered 4 years after Duca d'aosta class was build
- same basic design layout, just smaller/shorter
- main gun type is exactly the same Duca d'aosta class was equipped with 8 × 152 mm (6 in)/53 Ansaldo/OTO Model 1929 in 4 twins turret, Taksin class have the sane guns but in 3 twin turret
- overall hull shape is the same
- Hatch in the hull side under the turret on the book drawing of "Taksin class" match location of hatch on "Duca d'aosta class"

For me it looks like the Italian Naval-designer took the Duca d'aosta class drawing, and removed a section of it.

Just look at this drawing bellow, and compare it to the book drawing:
[ img ]

And by just using the drawing from the book + Duca d'aosta class drawing and some parts from that ship and other Italian ship. In addition shorten and redraw Duca d'aosta class drawing, you get a ship designed by Italian naval architect:
(Note! this is a very simplified drawing, with simplified shading. it need's a lot of parts and other things, to make it look busy)

[ img ]
I would say you are getting close, I just followed the drawing from that book. one tip: "DETAILS"

For sea-plane, I would be surprised, if the ship come with an Italian made sea-plane, like the one Duca d'aosta have.

[Profile] [Quote]
Kingpin6100
Post subject: Re: Taksin-class cruisers for ThailandPosted: December 13th, 2020, 4:42 am
heuhen wrote: *
and the single black line on the turret, should most likely be dark grey, indicating a break that are not 90 degree. But.... the turret doesn't match the turret from the book

and if you study the drawing from the book, you can clearly see the tower structure is smaller then the bridge structure

So seeing the drawing from the book, year the ship was ordered, what design it have and turret design. Turret manufacture is Ansaldo-/Oto. turret type and caliber.

With this information, I conclude that "Taksin-class" is a smaller version of "Duca d'aosta class" light cruiser, as I stated earlier. by the following fact:

(cut for brevity)

For sea-plane, I would be surprised, if the ship come with an Italian made sea-plane, like the one Duca d'aosta have.
OK, so version 1.5.godonlyknows....

And in regards to the seaplane, it seems likely that it would have been italian, (very likely CANT 25 due to the time period), however, it's also possible that Japanese seaplanes would have been used, due to Thailand's eventually "close ties" to that country. Unless more information surfaces, I am currently leaving a seaplane off of this one.

of course, please continue with feedback!
(This version is pre-detail)
[ img ]

Last edited by Kingpin6100 on December 13th, 2020, 5:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
Karle94
Post subject: Re: Taksin-class cruisers for ThailandPosted: December 13th, 2020, 4:53 am
Hope this might help your quest: https://forum.worldofwarships.eu/topic/ ... t-cruiser/

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: Taksin-class cruisers for ThailandPosted: December 13th, 2020, 2:01 pm
That do also show the evolution of the design, from how it was first designed and how the final design looked like

But damn, those Italians, they really changed a lot on the ship!

[Profile] [Quote]
Kingpin6100
Post subject: Re: Taksin-class cruisers for ThailandPosted: December 13th, 2020, 2:25 pm
I finally found where the model came from. It's in a Thai Navy run museum, and so I'm going to assume it's an accurate depiction (artist skill notwithstanding!).

Looks like I'll be reverting a bit on the superstructure...?

https://facebook.com/story.php?story_fb ... 9528997897

Last edited by Kingpin6100 on December 14th, 2020, 2:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: Taksin-class cruisers for ThailandPosted: December 13th, 2020, 2:44 pm
Kingpin6100 wrote: *
I finally found where the model came from. It's in a Thai Navy run museum, and so I'm going to assume it's an accurate depiction (artist skill notwithstanding!).

Looks like I'll be reverting a bit on the superstructure...?

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... 9528997897
You have in fact two drawings, so don't trow away this one:

for me it looks like the drawing from the book, is the first drawing Italia gave to Thailand, then Thailand asked for some changes to the design, something that is normal, then the come back with the changes in a new updated drawing (just look how different US Navy frigate going to be, compared to the Italian version of the frigate)

You are lucky to have both-design, how it was first designed, and how it ended up, after 100's of changes from the Thai Navy. Not many have both variant.

so my suggestion to you, is to keep the drawing as is, but add details. Then call the drawing_

Thailand, Taksin class
as original designed
(credit)

then make a second drawing and call it:

Thailand, Taksin class
Final design version
(credit)

BTW! on the superstructure around aft turret, the shading is light, it should be of a darker grey, since we draw with shading showing the light coming from the front and not from the aft

[Profile] [Quote]
Kingpin6100
Post subject: Re: Taksin-class cruisers for ThailandPosted: December 14th, 2020, 1:59 am
Okay... So I've differentiated the two designs. Now, to fix some formatting, and finish the work on detail, and it may be in an actual good place.

[ img ]

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 2 of 3  [ 21 posts ]  Return to “Never-Built Designs” | Go to page « 1 2 3 »

Jump to: