Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 4 of 4  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4
Portsmouth Bill
Post subject: Re: HMS Eagle 1971Posted: September 7th, 2010, 7:27 am
Sorry guys, gun tubes are always represented 'fore and aft', never angled, and the same would apply shown 'outboard'. though your take on it looks excellent Turrethead

[Profile] [Quote]
TurretHead
Post subject: Re: HMS Eagle 1971Posted: September 7th, 2010, 7:29 am
Portsmouth Bill wrote:
Sorry guys, gun tubes are always represented 'fore and aft', never angled, and the same would apply shown 'outboard'. though your take on it looks excellent Turrethead
Yeah but it won't fit! The gun turrets on the Eagle and probably the other British carriers can't point right aft on the level because the rest of the ship is in the way.

Edit: LOL, OK I'm wrong! The gun turrets can fit because they are on a big ledge sticking out the side and that staircase that looks like it gets in the way is actually well behind where the barrels would be.

[ img ]

Which is a shame because they looked pretty good angled outwards! LOL.

[Profile] [Quote]
Portsmouth Bill
Post subject: Re: HMS Eagle 1971Posted: September 7th, 2010, 8:00 am
Right, you've solved the problem. I was coming back to look at why the turrets couldn't align aft, and of course they're on sponsons. I'm having lots of similar 'fun' working on HMAS Sydney FAC, though I'm blessed with a plan view as well. One thing to keep in mind; while we strive for the most accurate representation, it will alway be that - a representation, particulary given the small scale we work with. When we scale down a drawing we lose detail and in order to show important parts of a ship we sometimes show them in a scale different to what it would be normally; gun tubes are an example, also sensors, aerials, railings etc. What I try to keep in mind is: would this drawing be instantly recognisable as the actual ship (to someone knowledgable).

That apart, this is a great project and coming along well.

[Profile] [Quote]
Gollevainen
Post subject: Re: HMS Eagle 1971Posted: September 7th, 2010, 8:31 am
PB speaks the truth, but I must add that the idea is always to present the gun barrels in their normal "0" angle, eq. in position they are stored when not in use or in allert state. If the naturall installation in the ship doesen't allow them to be positioned in the fore/aft way or in 0 angle, then one can try to attempt to drawn them accordingly.

[Profile] [Quote]
Bombhead
Post subject: Re: HMS Eagle 1971Posted: September 7th, 2010, 7:19 pm
:? So which set of TurretHead's guns should be used? Personally I prefer the slightly angled version purely because they look better,but will abide by whatever.Nice job on the guns TH.

[Profile] [Quote]
klagldsf
Post subject: Re: HMS Eagle 1971Posted: September 7th, 2010, 8:26 pm
Bombhead wrote:
:? So which set of TurretHead's guns should be used?
The non-angled versions, because there is nothing on the actual, physical ship that would restrict the guns being traversed in such a manner.

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: HMS Eagle 1971Posted: September 8th, 2010, 5:42 am
Meh, to be honest, just use whatever fits. If there's something physically preventing the barrels from being shown in their 0 degree elevation, just show them angled and try to make them look as close to real life as possible.

[Profile] [Quote]
Portsmouth Bill
Post subject: Re: HMS Eagle 1971Posted: September 8th, 2010, 7:15 am
An interesting debate. My understanding was that guns should always be displayed (and these are how they appear on the parts sheet) 'fore and aft' with tubes/barrells horizontal, unless agreed they would be at rest in an elevated position. That said, I like TurretHeads drawing of the dual 4.5-in guns, though they are angled. At the end of day it will be Gollevainen and Colosseum who will decide whether a ship is uploaded onto the archive, so its their call on this question.

BTW. I watched part two of 'Sailor' last night; one thing I noticed was that Ark Royals ships boats were painted red.

[Profile] [Quote]
Novice
Post subject: Re: HMS Eagle 1971Posted: September 8th, 2010, 9:45 pm
The red paint I think was for the Tv series, so will be spotted more easily, but I could be wrong.

"Never fear to try on something new. Remember that the Titanic was built by professionals, and the Ark by an amateur"

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 4 of 4  [ 39 posts ]  Return to “Real Designs” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4

Jump to: