Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 9  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 3 4 59 »
Portsmouth Bill
Post subject: Defending Trade: Sloops to Frigates.Posted: September 23rd, 2011, 6:07 pm
I will use this topic to present the history of British designed Sloops pre WWII, to the wartime frigates that evolved out of those designs. Being arbitary in my selection I'm beginning with what I personally consider the most elegant of the type, the RAN later River class, which were based upon the Bay class in RN service. Next will be the less lovely Diamentina, the last surviving (in service) of these ships; then, its back to the beginnings to show the interwar Sloops.

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Rowdy36
Post subject: Re: Defending Trade: Sloops to Frigates.Posted: September 23rd, 2011, 6:13 pm
It looks great PB, I can't wait to see more :D

[Profile] [Quote]
Portsmouth Bill
Post subject: Re: Defending Trade: Sloops to Frigates.Posted: September 23rd, 2011, 6:34 pm
Thanks shipmate; and if you look closely you'll see I've 'half inched' your liferafts. And already I see things in need of correction :)

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: Defending Trade: Sloops to Frigates.Posted: September 23rd, 2011, 6:47 pm
PB you have saved it in JPG! but a great drawing

[Profile] [Quote]
WhyMe
Post subject: Re: Defending Trade: Sloops to Frigates.Posted: September 23rd, 2011, 7:17 pm
With the exception of blurred underwater hull it's just great.
Are you planning on drawing Portuguese version or, if not, do you mind me using your drawing as a base for that?

[Profile] [Quote]
Novice
Post subject: Re: Defending Trade: Sloops to Frigates.Posted: September 23rd, 2011, 11:23 pm
Lovely drawing PB, and indeed it is a bit blurred.

"Never fear to try on something new. Remember that the Titanic was built by professionals, and the Ark by an amateur"

[Profile] [Quote]
Bombhead
Post subject: Re: Defending Trade: Sloops to Frigates.Posted: September 23rd, 2011, 11:33 pm
Nice one Bill.Keep them coming. ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
graham
Post subject: Re: Defending Trade: Sloops to Frigates.Posted: September 24th, 2011, 1:33 am
Well done Bill, just about my favoured ships only very minor point is that when these AA versions of the Aust rivers where completed 46-47s they had the hand operated 40mm Mk3 down aft where as our 40mm from the current weapons sheet is the slightly larger Mk7-9 Hydraulic version. Although trying to show the different between a Mk3 and Mk 7 in SB is not easy.
The Mk3 and the twin 20mm guns were replaced with Mk7s when these ships deployed to the Korean war in 1950. Opps sorry Korean Police action!!!

Graham

waiting for the rest of the aussie Rivers !!!!

[Profile] [Quote]
Lazer_one
Post subject: Re: Defending Trade: Sloops to Frigates.Posted: September 24th, 2011, 7:06 am
I look forward for more Aussies...

Lazer_One's Worlist - Updated 2021

Documentation is always welcome here

Lazer_One's Blog

[Profile] [Quote]
ALVAMA
Post subject: Re: Defending Trade: Sloops to Frigates.Posted: September 24th, 2011, 7:29 am
Bill I can't say how much I love this one! Do you mind me if I do the Dutch one from scratch? It seems the Aussies did maked a more cooler and excellent version themself :) :D

[Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 9  [ 88 posts ]  Return to “Real Designs” | Go to page 1 2 3 4 59 »

Jump to: