Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ] 
denodon
Post subject: Sieran E I Class SubmarinePosted: October 8th, 2011, 6:56 am
[ img ]

Here is my first attempt for a Interwar/WW2 period submarine for my AU nation. It is supposed to be the first design built for that country and is primarily intended to act as a scout and coastal defense vessel mostly within the Bering Sea with possible use in the North Pacific against IJN vessels (if war was to arise between the two nations which is possible as tensions are high).

This particular class is small and relatively lightly armed with two 21' forward torpedo tubes and a single aft tub firing between the twin screws. I would sim this in springsharp if I knew how but I'm assuming it's probably only going to have a diving depth of about 100ft and a max surface speed of about 14-16 knots. Not sure of the precise construction date yet but the craft are supposedly the predecessors to the later ocean-going C Class submarines which entered service in 1938.

Any and all critique is welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
Carthaginian
Post subject: Re: Sieran E I Class SubmarinePosted: October 8th, 2011, 7:15 am
She looks to be very simple, very realistic and extremely believable.
Nice art to boot.

I LIKE! :D

[Profile] [Quote]
denodon
Post subject: Re: Sieran E I Class SubmarinePosted: October 9th, 2011, 1:22 am
[ img ]

I decided to do a version of it in one of the later experimental schemes of the 40s when the Sieranian Republic Navy was experimenting with ways of concealing a submerged vessel from aerial detection. I still need to work out what the best way of camouflaging a submarine in icy conditions would be.

[Profile] [Quote]
ONI-Defense
Post subject: Re: Sieran E I Class SubmarinePosted: October 9th, 2011, 1:30 am
Nifty little sub it is.

As for ice camouflage, you could try a white scheme like that of a similar USN experiment with the USS Halfbeak. http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_k6pSGnUL6G4/T ... -+1958.jpg

[Profile] [Quote]
denodon
Post subject: Re: Sieran E I Class SubmarinePosted: October 9th, 2011, 1:34 am
Thanks for that photo. I've been searching for hours for good refs of subs in arctic or north sea style camouflage (considering the Bering Sea shouldn't need all that much different style). All I've really found is a couple vague U-boat schemes which are disputable due to lack of actual colour evidence. I did find an awesome pdf on USN submarine camouflage though which I might give a shot with. Seems with a few of them they just used white or off-white for the conning tower and blotched decks and upper surfaces.

[Profile] [Quote]
ONI-Defense
Post subject: Re: Sieran E I Class SubmarinePosted: October 9th, 2011, 1:50 am
You're welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: Sieran E I Class SubmarinePosted: October 10th, 2011, 10:42 am
She seems rather under armed. At the time Denmark was arming her similar sized submarines with a 57mm gun and at least one 8mm mg.
Also, due to its size it'll be restricted to coastal waters. It simply doesn't have the volume to carry enough fuel and supplies for effective ocean patrols.

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
denodon
Post subject: Re: Sieran E I Class SubmarinePosted: October 10th, 2011, 10:52 am
I couldn't find any good deck guns to use for this that would work and also fit the pre-WW2 time period of the boat, hence why I just gave it a 20mm for the deck gun. I considered adding an MG mount on the rear conning tower but again can't find a good part that is of decent size (maybe the mount can just be removable to get around that).

As for the size, that is the intention. Although they were planned to take longer patrols, they ended up not having the volume so they were relegated to part of the nations Defenses (which included extensive use of minefields) whilst the design was 'stretched' and altered to create the later class of ocean going boats (that might be comparable to a Porpoise Class or early Gato).

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ]  Return to “Personal Designs”

Jump to: