Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 8 of 9  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page « 15 6 7 8 9 »
Portsmouth Bill
Post subject: Re: Defending Trade: Sloops to Frigates.Posted: December 26th, 2011, 11:59 am
Sorry guys, I've been busy drinking beer and peeling brussel sprouts, so hadn't noticed the drawing had gone, so just refreshed it as it was. I've had a look at the link Why Me, and found your 3-in/50, but it seems a bit short in the tube, compared to the photo's. I have had some trepidition with this one, as I'm on 'hallowed ground' with the USN WWII; so I've basically studied all previous SB drawings of that period and taken what looks like the same equipment; but I have to admit that the rear aa, which is supposed to be a 40mm twin, might not correspond to what is now appearing on the USN parts sheet; and with the 3-in/50 I used, I did shorten the tube as it loooked a bit overlong. I realise this might start a 'frank exchange of views', but I'm happy to let folk put in their advice/suggestions on this one ;)

Thanks again graham for the link, and there is more mileage in this design - one I really like :)

[Profile] [Quote]
Rowdy36
Post subject: Re: Defending Trade: Sloops to Frigates.Posted: December 26th, 2011, 2:45 pm
Oooh nice! I must get around to finishing the Grimsbys - I've been dragging my feet recently...

[Profile] [Quote]
nighthunter
Post subject: Re: Defending Trade: Sloops to Frigates.Posted: December 26th, 2011, 8:58 pm
Beautiful work on the Tacoma class!

[Profile] [Quote]
Portsmouth Bill
Post subject: Re: Defending Trade: Sloops to Frigates.Posted: December 27th, 2011, 6:58 pm
Thanks again chaps, but (to quote Newton) I was standing on the shoulders of giants. Anyway, here is the latest update, the only eral change being the 3-in/50 mount, which, after long studying of photographs I've decided to draw as I see it ;)

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: Defending Trade: Sloops to Frigates.Posted: December 28th, 2011, 12:04 am
permission to say: "oh fucking beautiful!"

[Profile] [Quote]
Carthaginian
Post subject: Re: Defending Trade: Sloops to Frigates.Posted: December 28th, 2011, 4:52 am
heuhen wrote:
permission to say: "oh fucking beautiful!"
Permission granted, and the motion is seconded.

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Defending Trade: Sloops to Frigates.Posted: December 28th, 2011, 9:05 am
Beautiful! :)

[Profile] [Quote]
Zephyr
Post subject: Re: Defending Trade: Sloops to Frigates.Posted: December 28th, 2011, 9:11 am
It would be better if it was the USS Hoquiam. ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
Portsmouth Bill
Post subject: Re: Defending Trade: Sloops to Frigates.Posted: December 28th, 2011, 3:27 pm
Thanks again shipmates and:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Hoquiam

Well, she was pretty close to the Alburquerque in terms of service history, only ending up in South Korean service, rather than Japan; so I take it you have a special interest? Anyway, I'll do the Thai version next, and that will be enough on the Tacoma for now - I'd thought of doing the full camo as well, but one problem is that it does detract somewhat from the overall lines of the ship :)

[Profile] [Quote]
Zephyr
Post subject: Re: Defending Trade: Sloops to Frigates.Posted: December 28th, 2011, 5:40 pm
No more special than I'm from the Aberdeen/Hoquiam area. ;) Its the only ship ever named for Hoquiam so its always had a special spot in my twisted little memory.

Now, as for personal connections, eventually I'll have to do CVS-37 USS Princeton. That was my Dad's ship.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 8 of 9  [ 88 posts ]  Return to “Real Designs” | Go to page « 15 6 7 8 9 »

Jump to: