Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 4 of 21  [ 206 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5 621 »
Obsydian Shade
Post subject: Re: Grand Duchy of PallamaraPosted: October 27th, 2010, 5:34 am
Edited above with a few of the more annoying drawing errors removed.

If it's close enough to cast a shadow, I think the flying house wins initiative.

Bronies are like the Forsworn. Everyone agrees that they are a problem but nobody wants to expend the energy rooting them out.

"That is a very graphic analogy which aids understanding wonderfully while being, strictly speaking, wrong in every possible way."

[Profile] [Quote]
Obsydian Shade
Post subject: Re: Grand Duchy of PallamaraPosted: October 27th, 2010, 6:23 am
[ img ]

Just a quick and dirty rendering of one possible modernization upgrade. The center deck there would be expanded out to the sides of the ship to take the VLS cells, which this vessel should have more than sufficient beam to handle. I'll get rid of the VLA harpoon in the final, but the cannisters could go between the cells or elsewhere. I'm not sure about the search radar there, so I'm open to suggestions. I'll put in the satcom globes and other frills later. I know with APAR I don't need the directors, but could they serve as a useful backup still?

If it's close enough to cast a shadow, I think the flying house wins initiative.

Bronies are like the Forsworn. Everyone agrees that they are a problem but nobody wants to expend the energy rooting them out.

"That is a very graphic analogy which aids understanding wonderfully while being, strictly speaking, wrong in every possible way."

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Grand Duchy of PallamaraPosted: October 27th, 2010, 8:45 am
don't use directors apart from the apar. it is not needed, although some gun directors might be needed, if you are going to keep all those.
besides, better use SMART-L with the APAR, those are designed to work together
btw, what are those aircraft you have drawn by the bow? where did you want to land those?

[Profile] [Quote]
Obsydian Shade
Post subject: Re: Grand Duchy of PallamaraPosted: October 27th, 2010, 12:34 pm
Those are Hawker P.1154s, a supersonic deravitive of the Harrier, which the Rijkszeemacht uses onboard it's carriers. While they do not normally serve aboard the Battlecruisers, they can take off and land on the stern if required, so I included them in the pic as a harmless bit of wankery on my part.

[Profile] [Quote]
Obsydian Shade
Post subject: Re: Grand Duchy of PallamaraPosted: October 27th, 2010, 1:05 pm
I always see the SMART-L radar perched on a pyramidal tower mast. Does it actually require that structure to function, or is the mast simply a stealth feature of the vessels? What I'm attempting to figure out is if I can replace the unit on the mast with the Smart-L, or do I actually need to build a special tower to house the radar?

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: Grand Duchy of PallamaraPosted: October 27th, 2010, 1:45 pm
Wow, looking good.

A few minor quibbles:

* Remove the seaplane fuel line that runs aft from amidships along the side of the hull. This was there to keep the aviation fuel line on the outside of the ship. Since you don't have seaplanes mounted on midships catapults, you don't need it.

* Make the mast coming off the aft bit of the funnel a bit stronger-looking. Right now I can see it snapping off in a light breeze.

Otherwise, looks great.

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: Grand Duchy of PallamaraPosted: October 27th, 2010, 1:51 pm
You still have the four AN/SPG-55s on the old version and the new. They should be replaced with AN/SPG-51s on the old, and as Ace said, you don't need missile directors at all with APAR (APAR is X-Band, and thus can provide terminal target illumination).

Even on the pre-VLS fit I don't see any need for 4 missile guidance radars on a ship with a single Mk-13. The most ever mounted on a Mk-13 ship was on the California Class, who received 4 AN/SPG-51s and a Single AN/SPG-60 for two Mk-13s.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Grand Duchy of PallamaraPosted: October 27th, 2010, 2:07 pm
the large mast is needed for the smart-l. the smallest you can put beneath it is an mast like the one on the dokdo class. the reason for this heavy foot is it's stabilisation system.

[Profile] [Quote]
Obsydian Shade
Post subject: Re: Grand Duchy of PallamaraPosted: October 27th, 2010, 2:14 pm
Thanks for the input, I'll get to work on those improvements. Removing the missile illuminators will allow me to have room for the SMART-L installation. Also, I'll likely update the entire funnel structure, removing the mast in the process.

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: Grand Duchy of PallamaraPosted: October 27th, 2010, 6:14 pm
Quote:
The final wave of immigration, which continues to this day, occured from white Africans as the end of European rule wrapped in Africa, as thousands of whites from Kenya, Zimbabwe, Rhodesia, and other former European colonies immigrated to Pallamara who eagerly welcomed them. When South Africa transitioned to ANC rule in the early 1990s, another landslide of immigration was triggered, as Afrikaaners joined the already diverse European ethnic mix.
[ img ]

average citizen of pallamara

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 4 of 21  [ 206 posts ]  Return to “Alternate Universe Designs” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5 621 »

Jump to: