Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 2 of 2  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2
Trojan
Post subject: Re: Murrumbidgee Class ASW Frigate - 1980's RANPosted: April 15th, 2012, 5:34 am
Yes the swan class IIRC believe and excellent and fantastic drawing
Influenced by the Knox class maybe?

References and feedback is always welcome!

[Profile] [Quote]
Clonecommander6454
Post subject: Re: Murrumbidgee Class ASW Frigate - 1980's RANPosted: April 15th, 2012, 6:04 am
It looks like Knox+OHP to me. But one point: Mk42 & Sea Cat are systems from 1960s IIRC and I recommend changing it to Mk.45 and NSSM instead.

[Profile] [Quote]
ALVAMA
Post subject: Re: Murrumbidgee Class ASW Frigate - 1980's RANPosted: April 15th, 2012, 8:31 am
klagldsf wrote:
TimothyC wrote:
So there is a hull cut out?
Actually a few designs here and there had hull cut-outs for Ikara, mostly Type 1x frigates and IIRC even an early Perth proposal. Couldn't tell you why though, on the face of it it does seem kinda stupid.
Because the reloading magazine.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/41311545@N ... /lightbox/
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b336/ ... lation.jpg

Awesome ship Leut! I really love it!

[Quote]
Portsmouth Bill
Post subject: Re: Murrumbidgee Class ASW Frigate - 1980's RANPosted: April 15th, 2012, 10:34 am
Firstly, a very good and plausible design; trully an alternative Type 12, with some significant improvements - the full sized Sea King, the 5-in gun, and still with Ikara; also, it could be reworked into an air defence destroyer on this common hull - yep, I really like this one :D

Re the Ikara, I would agree to go with the same set up as the Type 12's.

p.s. I'd also drop down the Seacat a deck, just to help with balance and accessability :)

[Profile] [Quote]
Novice
Post subject: Re: Murrumbidgee Class ASW Frigate - 1980's RANPosted: April 15th, 2012, 9:49 pm
Very nice ship and a good balance of looks and purpose.
I have but two remarks:
One concerns the Seacat position, unless you have a second mounting on the other beam, than it is possible, but may I suggest you use the set-up as in the Leander frigates on top of the hangar.
The second remark concerns the radar on the mainmast, which appear to be the SPS-10, a surface search radar. As it is it is badly situated, suffering from 'wooding' on the forward side from the big mast there. Note that surface search radars use a shorter wave length than air search radars. Look at American ships of the era to see the radar outfit and placement on a the mast, especially the Knox class or the earlier Garcia class frigates, as they had a single 'mack'.

"Never fear to try on something new. Remember that the Titanic was built by professionals, and the Ark by an amateur"

[Profile] [Quote]
LEUT_East
Post subject: Re: Murrumbidgee Class ASW Frigate - 1980's RANPosted: April 16th, 2012, 4:56 am
Specifications

Complement

Displacement
Light – 3,100 tonnes
Full Load – 4,185 tonnes

Dimensions
Length –134 metres
Beam – 14.5 metres
Draught- 7.3 metres

Propulsion
Shafts – 2
Engines – 4 x Ferguson 12V786-E Diesels
Total Power – 32,500bhp
Speed – 32 knots
Range – 8,000nm @ 15 knots

Armament
Guns – 1 x FMC Mk42 127mm, 2 x 40mm Bofors
SAM Launchers – 2 x Short Brothers Seacat GWS 22 Launchers
ASW Launchers – 1 x Ikara Launcher
Torpedos – 2 x triple Mk32 Tubes

Decoys
2 x Loral Hycor SRBOC Mk36 (6 barrel)

Radars
Air Search/Fire Control – Lockheed AN/SPS-40D
Fire Control (Gun Control) – Signal WM-28
Surface Search - 1 x Norden AN/SPS-67
Navigation - 1 x Kelvin Hughes 1006

Sonar
1 x Hughes SQS-53C (bow mounted)

Aircraft
1 x Westland SK-50A ASW Helicopter

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Rusel
Post subject: Re: Murrumbidgee Class ASW Frigate - 1980's RANPosted: April 16th, 2012, 6:26 am
Such designs makes me drool after an indigenous design bureau. Wonderful.
I'm sure Anh Do would have loved to have see one of these come over the horizon and deal with the pirates that were threatening the life of his little brother (a future young Aussie of the year). Perhaps a couple 50s on each side to help deal with such rabble, though watching a 5" across their bow would be worth it. Of course the 40s would be more than adequate but 50s make such encounters more cost effective.

[Profile] [Quote]
rifleman
Post subject: Re: Murrumbidgee Class ASW Frigate - 1980's RANPosted: April 16th, 2012, 7:58 am
really nice ships

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Murrumbidgee Class ASW Frigate - 1980's RANPosted: April 17th, 2012, 7:34 am
Very interesting design and great drawing. It looks (in my humble opinion ;) ) much more "american" in comparison with most Australian warship designs (like 1966 Light Destroyer Project for example). :)

[Profile] [Quote]
Cybermax
Post subject: Re: Murrumbidgee Class ASW Frigate - 1980's RANPosted: April 18th, 2012, 9:47 pm
Great design, well thought out and believable!

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 2 of 2  [ 20 posts ]  Return to “Personal Designs” | Go to page « 1 2

Jump to: