Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 2  [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 »
DG_Alpha
Post subject: Kolonialkanonenboot 1939 (German colonial gunship 1939)Posted: September 26th, 2012, 5:03 pm
With the rise of the Nazi regime, there was also a demand for the return of the former colonies. In 1938, the Kriegsmarine approached the topic of ship types to be used in future colonial waters. A design from April 6th 1938 proposed a design of around 2000t, armed with four 150mm guns, light AA, mines and grenades. The would be stationary in peace times and be used for blockade-, security- and raiding mission during war. Alternative outfitting would allow the ship to be also used as torpedo carrier, minesweeper and seaplane tender. Speed would be around 20kn with a range of around 6000-8000sm.

In 1939, the design took more shape. On Februrary 25th 1939, the design works were given high priority, 'since under certain circumstances this type of ship would soon be needed'. Construction planning was for eight units, 'to be delivered around the same time'. The final design had a displacement of around 2000t, a speed of 24kn and a range of ca. 8000sm. The armament consisted of four 127mm guns in twin mounts, similar to the projected Zerstörer 1938B class. The guns would be used against surface and air targets. Light AA consisted of six 37mm guns and four 20mm guns, all in twin mounts. Secondary armament were two double topredo tubes.

This design never entered the construction stage and was cancelled with the outbreak of the war.
[ img ]

Formal question: What do we do when the text doesn't fit on the template? I have used a slightly smaller font, but are there official rules to that?

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Kolonialkanonenboot 1939 (German colonial gunship 1939)Posted: September 26th, 2012, 5:09 pm
add an second line is always possible ;)
that said, very interesting drawing of an intersting ship. only one little remark: something seems to go wrong when the railing is next to the structure, maybe experiment with an slightly darker railing colour...

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Kolonialkanonenboot 1939 (German colonial gunship 1939)Posted: September 26th, 2012, 7:36 pm
Very nice drawing of a very interesting ship. :)

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: Kolonialkanonenboot 1939 (German colonial gunship 1939)Posted: September 28th, 2012, 9:48 am
Nice work, an interesting design and a handsome ship.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
Gollevainen
Post subject: Re: Kolonialkanonenboot 1939 (German colonial gunship 1939)Posted: September 28th, 2012, 10:02 am
Yea I addjoin the compliments, these would have indeed been handsome and attractive little ships had they been build. Nice to see these smaller german newer-where's popping by

[Profile] [Quote]
DG_Alpha
Post subject: Re: Kolonialkanonenboot 1939 (German colonial gunship 1939)Posted: September 30th, 2012, 9:06 pm
Updated with some minor edits. Thanks for all the compliments!

[Profile] [Quote]
Bombhead
Post subject: Re: Kolonialkanonenboot 1939 (German colonial gunship 1939)Posted: September 30th, 2012, 9:11 pm
Very nice too.Keep them coming DG.

[Profile] [Quote]
denodon
Post subject: Re: Kolonialkanonenboot 1939 (German colonial gunship 1939)Posted: October 1st, 2012, 6:08 am
Indeed a great drawing of an attractive design. I've always liked the look of the 1930s and 40s German vessels, something about their sleek modern (at the time) yet aggressive lines is appealing.

Would they have been powered by high pressure steam turbines or diesels? looking at them I'd suspect the later.

[Profile] [Quote]
DG_Alpha
Post subject: Re: Kolonialkanonenboot 1939 (German colonial gunship 1939)Posted: October 12th, 2012, 4:45 pm
Ship has been updated a little bit.

I couldn't find any specific info on the propulsion. It only said: It has to be highly stable and easy to use. Make of that what you will.

[Profile] [Quote]
eltf177
Post subject: Re: Kolonialkanonenboot 1939 (German colonial gunship 1939)Posted: October 12th, 2012, 5:20 pm
DG_Alpha wrote:
Ship has been updated a little bit.

I couldn't find any specific info on the propulsion. It only said: It has to be highly stable and easy to use. Make of that what you will.
That says "diesel" to me, especially if speed is a secondary concern but range is a primary one.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 2  [ 12 posts ]  Return to “Never-Built Designs” | Go to page 1 2 »

Jump to: