Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 2  [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 »
usna2k
Post subject: WIP - USN Mitscher class (DDG 35)Posted: October 1st, 2012, 4:13 pm
This is my first jump into a larger ship that I am attempting to draw from scratch, as I don't believe it has been tackled here yet. These four destroyers were the follow-up to the abortive Norfolk class DL, and preceded the Forrest Sherman class DDs. They were refitted in the mid 1960s to a DDG configuration, and rearmed with Tartar and ASROC in the process.

Before I get too far along, I will post what I have done so far and invite inputs so I can make this design stand up to SB's standards from the outset.

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
klagldsf
Post subject: Re: WIP - USN Mitscher class (DDG 35)Posted: October 1st, 2012, 6:01 pm
I'd like to point out for other people to note what the armament of this ship is, and the size of this ship, and to put this into consideration when they try to make, say, a frigate trying to take on an entire enemy surface action group.

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: WIP - USN Mitscher class (DDG 35)Posted: October 1st, 2012, 7:07 pm
I think the FRESCAN set is old. I'd just update to the correct set on the US Electronics sheet, as I would use the newer boats. That said, this looks like a good start.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: WIP - USN Mitscher class (DDG 35)Posted: October 1st, 2012, 8:32 pm
there seems to be something wrong with the foot of the Mk 13, the top part overhangs a bit most of the times. also, watch the shape and colour of the bridge windows. I will follow how this progresses though, this is looking good, and I understand this is still an WIP.

[Profile] [Quote]
Novice
Post subject: Re: WIP - USN Mitscher class (DDG 35)Posted: October 1st, 2012, 8:58 pm
Seems to be a good start, apart from the already mentioned remarks, I think the funnels look a bit small, as well as the whole hull which looks too shallow.
Also note that the Mitchers were a development of destroyers hulls, the preceding class being the Forrest Sherman , while the Norfolk was a built from a cruiser hull. In addition to what being said above, only two of the Mitschers were converted to DDG, these being the Mitscher herself (DDG35) and John S. McCain (DDG36), the other two remained unconverted and scrapped by the early 1970's, and BTW the Wilkinson was the first ship to have the immense SQS-26 sonar dome,as trials ship, the sonar dome compared to a 40-foot utility boat.

"Never fear to try on something new. Remember that the Titanic was built by professionals, and the Ark by an amateur"

[Profile] [Quote]
usna2k
Post subject: Re: WIP - USN Mitscher class (DDG 35)Posted: October 2nd, 2012, 4:22 pm
Here is my current progress since I began yesterday. There is not a heck of a lot of closeup images of these ships, so it's hard to get the really fine detail done well. I am happy with the results. I am not sure to what level of completeness is considered "complete," here, however.

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: WIP - USN Mitscher class (DDG 35)Posted: October 2nd, 2012, 4:32 pm
5.1 Colors

- Second basic line color (dark grey): #7D7D7D or RGB 125,125,125
- "Black" areas on the hull or on outwardly-sloping surfaces: #292929 or RGB 41,41,41
- "Black" areas on the superstructure or on inward-sloping surfaces: #3D3D3D or RGB 61,61,61
- Railing: #AEAEAE or RGB 174, 174, 174
- Windows: #1873FF or RGB 24,115,255
- Propeller Yellow: #FFFF00 or RGB 255,255,0
- Hull Red: #FF0000 or RGB 255,0,0
- Hull Shading Color: #A04000 or RGB 160,64,0

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: WIP - USN Mitscher class (DDG 35)Posted: October 2nd, 2012, 5:51 pm
Oh, and switch the props out for just about anything else.

Edit: You're also over shading the front curves on the super structure.

[Profile] [Quote]
Novice
Post subject: Re: WIP - USN Mitscher class (DDG 35)Posted: October 2nd, 2012, 11:16 pm
You are still using the old parts, the abominable props mentioned by Tim. Your ship still looks too low and shallow.

"Never fear to try on something new. Remember that the Titanic was built by professionals, and the Ark by an amateur"

[Profile] [Quote]
usna2k
Post subject: Re: WIP - USN Mitscher class (DDG 35)Posted: October 3rd, 2012, 2:17 am
You know, instead of acting like a bunch of elitists, how about HELPING someone new to this who is eager to contribute?

I don't appreciate the condescending attitude I am getting. I DID my homework on this ship, and its measurements are correctly done. The draft and length are correct and measured properly IAW your own scale. If you take some time to look at source imagery, this ship *has* a low freeboard because of its AAW mod.

Finally, every "part" on this ship came from the supposedly up to date USN parts imagery found on the thread of the same name on this forum.

The "overshading" on the front is because the entire front of the bridge structure is curved. It needs to be shown that it is not a square.

So, the propeller looks horrid. Well, it came from the DDG-2 drawing on this website - so I guess that one will need to be changed too? How about a better suggestion, rather than "replace it with anything else?"

I served nine years in the USN as an officer aboard frigates, cruisers, destroyers, and the like. I have been a student of naval warfare and warships in general since long before that. I have hand drawn warships for fun, because it is something I ENJOY.

If you really want new people to come in here and contribute, how about a little better guidance...a little more welcoming attitude?

I made changes to the drawing earlier today, but after seeing this last comment, I don't know if I want to even post it now.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 2  [ 14 posts ]  Return to “Beginners Only” | Go to page 1 2 »

Jump to: