Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ] 
Rhade
Post subject: Russian protected cruiser IzumrudPosted: December 2nd, 2010, 10:58 am
Izumrud (English: Emerald) was a protected cruiser of the Imperial Russian Navy. The Izumrud and her sister ship Zhemchug (English: Pearl) were based on the German-built Novik. The ship was launched in 1903 and fought in the Russo-Japanese war as part of the Second Pacific Squadron under the command of Vasili Fersen. She used her speed to escape capture at the Battle of Tsushima, however while nearing Vladivostok during the night of 28/29 May, ran aground on the Siberian coast and was abandoned. Her crew reached Vladivostok by land.

[ img ]

* WIP, about 95% finished.

[Profile] [Quote]
Gollevainen
Post subject: Re: Russian protected cruiser IzumrudPosted: December 2nd, 2010, 12:12 pm
You need to color the railings when they are siding dark surfaces with similar darker shade...
The hull shading is wrong and the Ensign doesen't belong to the jackpole...
otherwise great drawing.

[Profile] [Quote]
Novice
Post subject: Re: Russian protected cruiser IzumrudPosted: December 2nd, 2010, 3:24 pm
Seems very good Rhade, apart from Gollevainen's remarks.

"Never fear to try on something new. Remember that the Titanic was built by professionals, and the Ark by an amateur"

[Profile] [Quote]
Bombhead
Post subject: Re: Russian protected cruiser IzumrudPosted: December 2nd, 2010, 4:04 pm
That is one seriously good looking drawing.

[Profile] [Quote]
Obsydian Shade
Post subject: Re: Russian protected cruiser IzumrudPosted: December 3rd, 2010, 4:34 am
One of my very favorite vessels of the period. Wondered when someone was going to get around to doing her--excellent work! Please do Zhemchug!

If it's close enough to cast a shadow, I think the flying house wins initiative.

Bronies are like the Forsworn. Everyone agrees that they are a problem but nobody wants to expend the energy rooting them out.

"That is a very graphic analogy which aids understanding wonderfully while being, strictly speaking, wrong in every possible way."

[Profile] [Quote]
Rhade
Post subject: Re: Russian protected cruiser IzumrudPosted: December 3rd, 2010, 10:24 am
Quote:
One of my very favorite vessels of the period. Wondered when someone was going to get around to doing her--excellent work! Please do Zhemchug!
Thx lads, I use plans of Zhemchug in creation proces, but Izumrud was first to be launched so I name it as Izumrud class. I don't know if there are some differences, I only have one good blueprint of Zhemchug.
Quote:
You need to color the railings when they are siding dark surfaces with similar darker shade...
Right, I will do that.
Quote:
Where ? I try to use the best colors of russian navy hulls. Take most colours from Lazer_one Garibaldi and your Byzantine ships.

[Profile] [Quote]
Lazer_one
Post subject: Re: Russian protected cruiser IzumrudPosted: December 3rd, 2010, 12:04 pm
Quote:
Where ? I try to use the best colors of russian navy hulls. Take most colours from Lazer_one Garibaldi and your Byzantine ships.[/quote]

I guess that Gollevainen is mainly referring to shading and not to colors. I wouldn't bet on the Victorian colors but they could be probable.

[ img ]

BTW Flags are wrong: in the attached picture the ship is full dressed and is showing the nation al flag at the atf pole and the naval jack at the bow one. While the ship is docked is normally shown the national flag. For small/medium events the jack is added while for medium/big event there is the reduced dressing.
During navigation only the national flag is flying on the main mast.

But it is anyhow a good start!

Lazer_One's Worlist - Updated 2021

Documentation is always welcome here

Lazer_One's Blog

[Profile] [Quote]
BrockPaine
Post subject: Re: Russian protected cruiser IzumrudPosted: December 3rd, 2010, 2:03 pm
Rhade wrote:
Quote:
Thx lads, I use plans of Zhemchug in creation proces, but Izumrud was first to be launched so I name it as Izumrud class. I don't know if there are some differences, I only have one good blueprint of Zhemchug.
Wikipedia implies that Izumrud had 6x120mm guns and Zhemchug had 8x120mm guns. I haven't looked any further into the details than that, but I did note your drawing has eight guns.

[Profile] [Quote]
Scifibug
Post subject: Re: Russian protected cruiser IzumrudPosted: December 3rd, 2010, 7:28 pm
I like it! Good drawing and nice detail on her history.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]  Return to “Real Designs”

Jump to: