Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 14 of 55  [ 549 posts ]  Go to page « 112 13 14 15 1655 »
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Project Cancelled: The Alternative What-If British AircrPosted: April 7th, 2012, 8:08 pm
geh, boulton paul had an hand in unconventional aircraft, so it seems :P (thinking of for example the defiant and this...)

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: Project Cancelled: The Alternative What-If British AircrPosted: April 8th, 2012, 12:39 pm
Excellent additions Darth.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
Raxar
Post subject: Re: Project Cancelled: The Alternative What-If British AircrPosted: April 8th, 2012, 1:27 pm
Nice Darth!
BTW, has anyone drawn or planning on drawing the MiG-17 or the Polish produced one (Lum-5 I think it's called?)?

"If people never did silly things nothing intelligent would ever get done." ~Ludwig Wittgenstein

[Profile] [Quote]
ALVAMA
Post subject: Re: Project Cancelled: The Alternative What-If British AircrPosted: April 8th, 2012, 3:05 pm
Raxar wrote:
Nice Darth!
BTW, has anyone drawn or planning on drawing the MiG-17 or the Polish produced one (Lum-5 I think it's called?)?
Golly did..

[Quote]
klagldsf
Post subject: Re: Project Cancelled: The Alternative What-If British AircrPosted: April 8th, 2012, 8:16 pm
acelanceloet wrote:
geh, boulton paul had an hand in unconventional aircraft, so it seems :P (thinking of for example the defiant and this...)
A lot of that was because Boulton-Paul, being one of the smaller British aircraft manufacturers at that time (as did all the others) felt a lot of pressure to push the design envelope and perhaps just be different to differentiate themselves from the "big guys" and hopefully come up with a fundamentally superior product. This is why Miles came up with so many crazy projects. Boulton-Paul especially had some pressure to follow because their Defiant (which is actually pretty conventional, designed to meet an RAF-drafted "turret fighter" requirement and practically an all-metal Hurricane with a turret) turned out to be very lackluster (once again not strictly their fault, they were just following the design parameters the RAF gave to them).

And I just noticed another tidbit I feel like talking about:
Hood wrote:
The Shorts S.B.3 anti-submarine variant flown in 1950 but soon discarded due to control problems due to the Mamba turboprop efflux which destabilised the aircraft.
Yeah, in theory turbprops are great but they don't work for every practice. The biggest advantages are reliability and power-to-weight ratio, but strictly speaking they're not as thermodynamically efficient as piston engines at low altitude or as pure jets at high altitude (they're most fuel efficient at a narrow medium-altitude band that differs exactly depending on engine design, and in a lot of cases exactly at an altitude where a lot of bad weather and turbulence happens). A lot of these early turboprop combat aircraft like the Wyrven and this might've done just as well with the large radial or V/H-block WWII-legacy engines.

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: Project Cancelled: The Alternative What-If British AircrPosted: April 9th, 2012, 9:24 am
The P.100 was devised to meet a draft specification for a ground-attack aircraft to replace the Hurricane IIID. It was to be armed with 3x 40mm or 2x 40mm and 2x 20mm or 4x 20mm or 2x 20mm and 6x RP packs or 2x 20mm and one 47mm Vickers gun. Bombload 2x 500lb in all cases. Excellent view forward was essential.

The contenders were; Armstrong Whitworth AW.49, a twin-boom pusher aircraft powered by a Merlix X or sabre V with laminar flow wings; Boulton Paul P.99 twin-boom pusher aircraft with single vertical fin mounted midspan on the tailplane; the Boulton Paul P.100; Boulton Paul P.101 a biplane aircraft using two Defiant wings, fixed undercarriage with huge spats which also carried the cannon (a la Lysander); Cunliffe-Owen submitted a "Mosquito-ish" design and a single engine design with the pilot seated below the fuselage!; Miles submitted thw twin-engine Libeilua-layout M.42 and a single-engined version, the M.43, the Miles M.44 was a conventional twin design. All were finally rejected as all were too radical. It was accepted that any single-engined aircraft to meet the spec would need to be a pusher but the conventional twin was deemed the best answer and of course the Mosquito could already fulfill that. The Cunliffe-Owen twin was judged the best offering.

I'd agree with that assessment klag, the MoS seemed to get all starry-eyed with jets and turboprops post 1945 and certainly were the first in the world to attempt a turboprop trainer and by putting them on several designs. It paid off with the Viscount but as you say those late-war pistons were a pinnancle (though they may have tempermental in service too). That these radical developments would prove costly and take time to mature was lost on the MoS. Saying that several promising turboprops like the Tweed were abandoned as well. Probably the AS.3 should have been a fresh-sheet design anyway.

Super-Darings

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: Project Cancelled: The Alternative What-If British AircrPosted: March 20th, 2013, 4:36 pm
[ img ]
The Airspeed AS.9 fighter, in the colours of 1(F) Sqaudron circa 1938.

Designed for a 690hp Napier Dagger H-24 cylinder engine, armed with two .303in machine-guns with provision for six more in the wings. Maximum speed 262 mph at 12,000 ft, range 610 miles and service ceiling 27,500 ft. Never built but an interesting all-metal design with retractable undercarriage and flaps but fabric covered rear-fuselage and a braced monoplane wing. An unusual design but typical of the 'look' of early monoplanes.

Super-Darings

Last edited by Hood on October 15th, 2016, 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Project Cancelled: The Alternative What-If British AircrPosted: March 20th, 2013, 4:54 pm
Great work! :)

[Profile] [Quote]
ezgo394
Post subject: Re: Project Cancelled: The Alternative What-If British AircrPosted: March 20th, 2013, 4:57 pm
Ohhh ho ho hoo Yes! love the look of braced wings! That is one fine looking aircraft. Small cockpit, big engine, braced wings, just my speed!

I am not very active on the forums anymore, but work is still being done on my AUs. Visit the Salidan Altiverse Page on the SB Wiki for more information. All current work is being done on Google Docs.
If anyone wishes for their nations to interact with the countries of the Salidan Altiverse, please send me a PM, after which we can further discuss through email.

[Profile] [Quote]
Trojan
Post subject: Re: Project Cancelled: The Alternative What-If British AircrPosted: March 21st, 2013, 12:04 am
Oooo interesting design and splendid work! While I see that it is dated to 1938 for in service when would a first flight have been likely if it was built?

References and feedback is always welcome!

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 14 of 55  [ 549 posts ]  Return to “FD Scale Drawings” | Go to page « 112 13 14 15 1655 »

Jump to: